Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Now a Word From the Sponser: Focus on GEICO Commercials

Holy Lizards, Batman! A gecko has taken the advertising world by storm!

Let me just mention that I've always liked the various GEICO insurance commercials. Yes, even the ones without the gecko. I think this company has some of the most consistently amusing ads on television ranging from British lizards who become Employee of the Month to sensitive cavemen. They're campy, entertaining and, most of all, creative.

Let's talk gecko, though. After all, he's the star! First off, he's British. In the most recent ads, I personally think the Brit Gecko has more of an Australian Gecko accent, but that could be just me. The animation is superb -- the gecko always has a few extras ranging from flicking something off a tree upon which he's resting to almost falling. This has got to be one of the most clever ad campaigns I've seen over the years, especially now that the gecko is actually talking! "It's like free chips and pie, except it's a website. Who could turn down free chips and pie?"

GEICO hit with a winner when they first brought out the gecko some years back. In its latest expanded focus on the gecko commercials, they will have one of those truly legendary ad campaigns that the audience will connect to their product for generations to come. I'm no youngster (sigh) and I remember the truly memorable television commercials over the years. Trust me, the GEICO Gecko will go down in the annals of "Pop, pop, fizz, fizz" and "My bologna has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R" -- the lizard will be a classic.

I can't wait to see what he does next! After all, a bloke like him, you never know...!

2 comments:

Steven said...

I love the ones where the Gecko is talking to real lizards. My kinda lizards too. There is one where he is with anoles.

Last time I checked the Gecko had a website and I recall a blog. Good stuff, the GEICO Gecko.

Anonymous said...

now i know you are a TV addict for sure when you gush over commercials!! LOL keep up the good work