Sunday, November 05, 2006

Sneak Peek: TBS's 'My Boys' to Premiere November 28

My Boys - TBSBaseball and sex have been tied together in the ways of adolescent boys since the dawn of time (well, perhaps not quite that long) as they attempted to make it to second base, or even to third base. We know they didn't mean in the ballpark!

And, who could forget the play-by-play in the song "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" by Meatloaf? We know that wasn't really about baseball, either.

Taking that ball and running with it is the new original comedy show My Boys from TBS, the Very Funny cable television network. Set to premiere Tuesday night, November 28th at 10 PM ET/PT, I was fortunate enough to get a sneak peek at a handful of episodes and I'm here to report back on them.

The premise of the show is relatively simple to explain. PJ Franklin, played by Jordana Spiro, is a sportswriter in Chicago. She's in a male-dominated field and, not only that, has a male-dominated field of friends. Oh, yes, she does have one good female friend, Stephanie, played by Kellee Stewart. But her boys are near and dear to her heart. She works amongst the boys, plays cards with the boys, goes out with the boys, and often tends to be considered one of the boys by her boys. I've worked in a male-dominated field and know that feeling all too well. Sometimes you want to shout, "Hey! I'm woman! Roar!" but most of the time, it's great fun just to be friends with the guys.

Although it's easy to draw comparisons with Friends or Sex and the City, this show isn't really all that much like either. Urban settings, a focus on relationships and twenty-somethings are the common grounds between the shows. I think fans of both shows will enjoy My Boys.

I found it a fun little romp through the lives of the characters and their dating trials, tribulations, and the friendship shared by PJ and her boys. I particularly enjoy all the different ways the character of PJ ties in baseball with sex and relationships in the voiceovers which are featured in each episode. Just when I thought she'd have to run out of analogies, she'd spring a new one on me.

Certainly not sexually explicit, I feel My Boys will do well with the late-teens through thirty-something demographic. It's a delightful light-hearted comedic departure from the crime and drama shows in its late evening time slot. And, of course, I want to know just how many relationships/sex analogies there are to sports out there. That's a creative challenge all on its own!

The cast includes Jordana Spiro, Jim Gaffigan, Kyle Howard, Reid Scott, Michael Bunin, Jamie Kaler, and Kellee Stewart. The Executive Producers are Jamie Tarses, Gavin Polone, and Betsy Thomas. The show will air Tuesday evenings at 10 PM ET/PT on TBS. For more information about the show, you can check out the official My Boys website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Jackie, TAR is being delayed due to 60 minutes or whatever that is having to fit in their Russle Crowe interview. I'm working at the computer but my finacee's been biding the time switching back to the Simpsons fabulous-as-ususal Halloween Special. Hysterical.

Anonymous said...

COW LIPS :-)