Sunday, December 03, 2006

'The Amazing Race 10' - Ep. 12 -or- "Giant Hot Chicks Run Amok in Barcelona'


I can't believe that next week is the season finale. And, mind you, not one of those fake fall finales like Lost, Jericho, or Heroes - this season's TAR is almost history!


Speaking of history, in all of the previous seasons, not one all-female team has made it to the Final Three, the huge determining factor for this show. This season started off with two very strong female teams. Remember Jamie and Kelly? They were gone too soon for all the promise they held. The other strong female team is Dustin and Kandice. I refer to these teams as strong as they both have the physical strength and are in good shape. Since men tend to win, it takes strength, right? Hey, maybe not.

Four teams remain. Who will be eliminated next?

We last left the teams at a Berber camp in the desert near the Atlas Mountains in North Africa. Tyler and James (Model Rehab BoyToys) had arrived first, so they were the first to receive the clue and leave from the camp. Dustin and Kandice (Evil Blonde Beauty Queens) were saved from Philimination last week as they had arrived last. Because they weren't eliminated, they're marked for elimination in this week's leg. That means they have to come in first at the Pit Stop or face a 30-minute penalty. With it down to four teams, that could very well mean elimination for them. I noticed that Tyler and James had about a 45-minute lead on them taking off from the camp.

The clue led teams to Casablanca, Morocco. The route through the mountains was full of switchback roads similar to what I've seen in places in the Rocky Mountains, but much more treacherous without guardrails. Yikes! The teams had to drive it and, somehow, the Blondes scooted through and made up a lot of time. Best quote of the drive goes to Kim, "I can't believe all the dogs out here." Um, they're goats, not dogs. Rob didn't let her live that down for a while.

One thing I found interesting is that Casablanca has Shell gas stations. That struck me as a bit odd.
Roadblock
Once in Casablanca, the teams faced a Roadblock - a task only one member of a team can do. This one, though a traditional native food one, wasn't as bad as most as long as the person wasn't a vegetarian. It was buying, grinding, spicing, handing off to a chef to cook, then eating camel meat.

The BoyToys and Blondes were the first teams there and both actually seemed to enjoy the meat. Later on Lyn had a problem with it being too hot (fresh off the grill hot, not spicy) and Rob had deferred the task to Kimberly. She was the only one to really gag and fuss. "Awesome, possum!"

From there, teams all ended up on the same flight to Barcelona, Spain, despite a gap between the BoyToys/Blondes and 'Bama Moms/Rob and Kimberly (Bickering Couple once again). At the airport, Dustin and Kandice tried to get back in with Tyler and James, but the boys are burnt on the beauties. As a matter of fact, all three teams are deadset against the Blonde Bombshells at this point. Too bad, so sad.

I wanted to like them when I first saw their profiles and, I have to admit, they're a good team. But the incident when they passed off the car they crashed to another team by taking one belonging to another team ticked me off to no end. That move could have cost the team stuck in the damaged car the race had it broken down. That one move was one of the most mean-spirited things I've ever seen on the show. Scheming and plotting, I understand. But that move went beyond that.

Once in Barcelona, teams hit yet another bunching point awaiting the opening of Parc del Laberint d'Horta, which contains a labyrinth or maze in which they had to find a clue and find their way back out. I found it rather amazing that the 'Bama Moms made it out first, as did the other teams. They certainly don't have the edge when it comes to a footrace, but they can make some good moves. I like Lyn, but I'm not too keen on Karlyn's personality.

The Blondes thought to borrow a cellphone and make arrangements for a taxi, but then told them to only pick up blonde women. The other teams made similar arrangements, albeit sans the blonde requirement. Sure enough, there were problems when the teams emerged from the maze. Tyler/James and Lyn/Karlyn had to scramble for a cab.
Giant Hot Chicks
The next stop was a Detour, a choice between two locally-influenced tasks that both members of the team have to complete. This one was a hoot! In Lug It, teams had to find 9½-foot-tall giant costumes, get in them, and walk a mile to receive the next clue. In Lob It, teams had to look for a clue in a mound of tomatoes while locals were lobbing tomatoes at them.

Tyler and James wanted to take the same Detour as Dustin and Kandice, figuring they would go for the physical task - the giant costumes. They figured right. In their minds, they want to beat Dustin and Kandice in a footrace to the Pit Stop. Of course, both of the other teams want to beat the Blondes, too. Who will beat them first?

Rob and Kimberly chose Lob It and we once again saw them break down, apart, and just shy of implosion. Under stress, these two do terrible. They had already bickered during the fooTomato Fightingd when Rob berated her for retching while he didn't have the guts to even try for the food Roadblock. The tomatoes broke her down totally, it was almost the end for the team. She tried to quit, but he kept at her. And, they actually found the clue, as did the 'Bama Moms a bit later (they squabbled, too). To me, the task looked impossible, but both teams choosing it fared better than Lug It.

Memorable line from Lug It and the actual name for the episode, "Dude, I'm such a giant hot chick now!" It was said by one of the BoyToys. But, being a giant hot chick doesn't mean first place.

Rob and Kimberly hit the Pit Stop in Barcelona first, winning a trip to Barbados and crying a lot. Next up, in a very surprising move, were Lyn and Karlyn. The BoyToys didn't quite get their footrace with the Blondes, but secured third. And, last and eliminated - Dustin and Kandice.
Beauty Queens
Who woulda thunk it? The 'Bama Moms beat out the Blondes? Unbelievable! In their parting words, they didn't say it was a rewarding experience, a thrill of a lifetime. Nope. Nothing like that. They're upset they didn't win. Go figure.

Are you ready for next week's finale?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's time like this when you wish the show was "fixed." Hate to see the beauty queens go...they were the most cheerful, worked best together, and really deserved to be in the final three. Now there is no one you really want to win. The Bama's are nasty, the druggies narcissists and the "couple" so unlikely to have a happy marriage million or not. They are so nasty to one another.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you anon, and I'm not sure why so few give the BQ's their du -- at least that they are worthy of being in the final three. I do, and for all the reasons you named. I know one time or two an anon who said they knew them wrote here defending them...

They were a very strong team and I'm truly amazed they didn't make it last week... but that 30 minute wait was proabbly going to kill them this week and it's a shame.

I began this show rooting for Bamas, who presented as single moms really challenging themselves and showing their kids a good example. By the end of the second show I loved Mary and David and the Cho's, as the Bamas went waaaay down IMHO.

I really can't get behind any of the remaining three. Guess I have to admit it.

Of the three who probably need it most... Bamas?

Btw Jackie -- did Rob and Kim get engaged somewhere along the way? Or did they come to the show engaged? Hearing them talk about that was news to me. Wow, while they're clearly a match, I hope they go to anger management before they reproduce!

Anonymous said...

Good one Sydney re anger management for Kim and Rob "before they reproduce". LOL

Sorry, I wish I could have rooted for the BQ's... and would have had the one not been so mean spirited. Competition is one thing, but they went beyond that. Oh well.. they're gone ..

Still can't cheer for BAMA. I agree with Jackie.. Lyn is nice...Karlyn is not... Similar to the BQ's... so an all woman team or not... that doesn't do it for me.

Rob and Kim - nuf said.

Leaves the boys ... Guess that's who I'd want to win (today that is). Something might happen which would change my mind, next week will tell.

Anonymous said...

Down go the BQ's........how happy am I !!!!! I must have blinked and missed something(darn this bladder infection,anyway)but HOW??? did ROB/KIM come in first??? The last I saw,Kim was boo hooing about being hit in the face and the next I know,they are standing on the mat at the pit stop!! I "almost" felt a pang of sympathy for ROB,but can't get past some of his past performances along the way. IF they do get married,I think they are made for each other. They will have to take turns having their temper tantrums,however,maybe they can work out a odd/even days schedule...LOL.

I guess I have to root for "BAMA,even though they sure look like the long shots. They couldn't run to a finish if their lives depended on it(but then,neither could I). The REHAB boys bug me,and then there is the BICKERSONs,so it would be nice for a female team to win. I really don't much care who it is,just glad the BQ's bit the dust.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to see the bq's go, of the remaining 4 they were the only decent team left. At this point I don't much care who wins. I was rooting for the Cho's from the beginning. The bamas have been nasty to everyone along the way and don't deserve to win. Rob and Kim have attacked each other week after week. I don't think their marriage has a chance if this is the way they treat each other in stressful situations. The models are just plain annoying. Oh well, I'll still watch the finale. I just won't be rooting for anyone in the end, except maybe Phil.

Anonymous said...

The problem with the Bamas is their self=-righteousness and the "God is with us thing too." They discussed how they couldn't wait to "Yield" the BQ's, yet when the BQ's Yielded them they were outraged and wondered how the awful girls could sleep at night! Hello, that's just what they were planning to do. And in this last show the Bamas seemed as concerned about getting rid of the BQ's as they were about anything else. Jealous of the fact I think that the BQ's could always use their looks to get ahead. Amazing that the Bamas haven't lost any weight during the race that might enable them to actually run when needed. They definitely need to cut down on the carbs! Of the remaining three none have a likability factor so who cares who wins. I guess you have to give it to the druggies who have come in first so often and do seem to work well together. Hope the million doesn't just give them more money for drugs though. "Be careful what you wish for"...as the saying goes.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't ever get behind Bama...almost like I saw right through them. I was excited 'for' them though; hoping they'd win for their families.

The BQs were just that to me. They were however more cunning and stronger than I assumed they would be; I expected them to quit as soon as they broke a sweat.

I thought the boys tag of like "recovering addicts/models" was amusing. They can't be "models/friends"? I see they have since dropped the recovering addicts part. I like them, and IMO, I would like to see them win.

Rob and Kimberly are in the Hall of Shame for me. It always cracks me up when people act like wild animals towards the ones they're supposed to be SO in love with, but then it just gets annoying.

So c'mon Model Boys. I wasn't even sure I'd care to see anyone win after Dave and Mary and the Cho Bros fell off.