Wednesday, January 31, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Los Angeles Auditions

American Idol Am I get Idol-jaded? They sent a lot of folks through to Hollywood (from basically Hollywood) tonight, the most from any city in the auditions so far. They sent through 40 people! And, with the exception of one who wasn't really a contestant at all, I wasn't all that impressed with any of the good ones shown. Yes, they can sing, but none rocked my world.

On the other hand, after last night's disappointing Odd, Los Angeles brought new blood to the American Idol Odd Squad. Guest judge Olivia Newton-John sat in on the panel and was treated to some of those audition hijinks we've come to love and adore... or not.

Tonight's Most Notable of the Odd

'MartikAs easy as pouncing a mouse, Martik "Panther" Manoukian leapt to the top of the Odd Chart. Full of attitude, snarling, sound effects, hissing, and what tried to pass for cat-like moves, he mesmerized the judges.

He claims to have studied extensively and boasts of many talents, dreams and goals.

He can't sing a lick, so he should think of grooming himself for a new career. Hey, maybe he can team up with Ian Bernardo and be a comedy act in the dive bar circuit!

Sophat So WeirdWe never got to hear Sophat really sing. He probably can't sing. If he could sing, he wouldn't have to wear an onion (or is it a banana... maybe a plantain) costume.

I apologize for the quality of the shot, but thought it still conveyed the very essence of Sophat and preserved it for eternity.

Or not.

Phuong PhanI actually liked Phuong. Oh, she really can't sing that well or anything as far as American Idol goes. But I enjoyed her spunk and personality. I felt sorry when she said her mother told her she wasn't "TV pretty."

Hey, she's pretty in her own way. I've noticed in the years of watching American Idol that the looks seem to matter so much more for the women than they do for the men. Oh, I wish this girl could have blown them all away with her voice. But, um... no.

Cavett and DaroldDarold and Cavett (Sparkle) met at a bus stop. I wonder if it was a wet day and he shared his umbrella. The question is, does Darold have a grillfriend for life? The way she was hitting on Simon was even making Simon blush. It must be his man-boobs turning her on, right?

As things turned out, neither could sing. I guess they'll have to keep investing in their grills and sharing the love.

Eric Mueller The closer for the show, Eric Mueller, was a true case in study for the show. He spoke with confidence. He told Ryan he studied and practiced four to five hours a day for two years in preparation for his audition debut on the show.

And, then he sang. Mind you, I'm using the word "sang" quite loosely here. It sounded a bit more like a nasal moose-in-heat call. Or, perhaps aliens have taken over his voice.

Wait, no! He taught himself to sing using Randy and Paula's DVD! Bwahaha! Simon had lots of fun with that one. But, dang, if Eric seriously thinks he can sing, that's scary. It's almost like Martik thinking he can sing.

A Very Touching Moment

Sherman PoreSherman Pore's appearance on the show was one of the most emotional ever in the history of the show. No, he wasn't a serious contestant. But he wasn't an Odd, either.

His love of twenty years had suffered through cancer. They shared a love for the show. To brighten her days, he started a petition to be able to sing a song for her at the audition. It gave them both something to make them smile and a goal.

Alas, she died two days before the audition. Sherman still sang his song and dedicated it to her -- "You Belong to Me." In the end he said, "I am a winner." And, he sure is. Not only that, but he didn't even sing too badly. What a dear!

In between Sherman and the Odd, there were some decent singers. But, as I mentioned at the top of the article, none really impressed me. Paula came across as quasi-loopy at times and I don't know if it's all an act or not. The judges weren't really cruel to anyone. There was a girl whose mother was one of Dean Martin's Golddiggers. They showed Ryan Seacrest's star on Hollywood Boulevard way too much. Yeah, it was Hollyweird, saved by Sherman Pore, a salt-of-the-earth kind of man.

Next, it's onto San Antonio.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I too thought some of the Hollywood people would NOT have made it through in NYC or anywhere else. I have to say - it's clear that this triangle of Paula, Simon, and Randy are here forever. All the 'spin' and hype around recent headlines is just bad p.r. stuff. The Sherman sequence was very sad - and I thought the judges were extremely appropriate. I think Rosie would be proud :-) As always Jackie - thank you for this terrific web site
Ida

Anonymous said...

Jackie - I miss the days when they showed more good singers!! I am usually way into the shows, but it's just a strange mix, instead of a lively mix of past years. And the begging - and the parents who condone the behavior - just nuts to me. My poor fiance - never watched a reality show until he met me! Thanks - KC

Sydney said...

I'm sorry, Ryan Seacrest does not deserve a star on the walk of fame along with so many of the true talents who proved themselves over years in the business. I'm not sayin never, I'm saying I think it dropped the standards of what getting a star means. I guess you can just have your publicist buy the privelage for you now, and the photo op that comes with it. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Anonymous said...

I wasn't clear why Sherman wasn't a real contestant. Was it because there's an upper age limit of 28? Is that why the 50 year old woman the other day said she was 26?

Justene

Anonymous said...

Not sure if this is correct...but you have to/can purchase your "star" on Hollywood's Walk of Fame. So anyone can get if they supply the $$$.

The girl's Mom sang with Dean Martin as a back-up. I thought she would rock it, but she stank!!!! Didn't she say she had 16 yrs of lessons????? I tell ya I would be suing someone.

The guy who's wife(?)/partner of 20 yrs, even though too old, sang like a future AI. That sure touched my heart!!!!!

Sydney said...

Delee -- you may be right, but I think it would need to be at least because you are in the entertainment industry and have done a recognizable and valuable body of work - at least I hope some academy or guild reviews the applications! If not, I'd love to have one for myself for my 26 years in that biz! I'll haveto do some research -- LOL

Jackie S. said...

The cutoff age for the contest is 28, increased from either 25 or 26 (I forget) a few seasons back.

I heard something about buying a star back when Trump got his, but I don't really know.