Wednesday, January 24, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The New York City Auditions

American Idol "If I can be weird here, I can be weird anywhere... New York, New York."

It was another long two days for the judges as they faced the masses in New York City or, more accurately, East Rutherford, New Jersey. Although there were tons of street scenes from the city, the actual auditions were in the Continental Airlines Arena... Joisey. It's otherwise known as The Meadowlands and is the home stadium of the NY Giants, as well as the large rock concert tour circuit. There have been rumors for decades that Jimmy Hoffa is buried under the concrete there. I vividly recall the August days when the auditions were going on. With the local news coverage, it seemed like a mini-season all on its own.

The show started off with an oddity, thus promising it might be an entertaining evening. Yes, there was some talent, too. There were sob stories and crushed dreams, but not everyone can be an American Idol, right? Guest judge Carole Bayer Sager might not have realized what she got herself into.

Tonight's Most Notable of the Odd

Ian BernardoOh, snap! It's Ian Bernardo! I remember when he was a contestant on So You Think You Can Dance. He can't dance. Now he thinks he can sing. Nope, he definitely can't! I think Ian's true calling is to be a character actor playing a gay street punk in bad movies.

I'll give him credit for one thing, though. I think he came up with the best line of the night on the show while he ranted about Simon and company. "Hollywood is New Jersey with celebrities." Now, that cracked me up. I refused to watch the local FOX news afterwards to see more rants of his. He had his five minutes of fame with me this year. Next.

Antonio Torres, Jr. I somehow missed Antonio's age, but he looks at least 45 to me. Coming out in a black suit with a fedora to sing "New York, New York" is always a bit gimmicky at the New York City auditions. Frank could carry it off, but Antonio certainly can't. It would help if he didn't blatantly sing "New Yor, New Yor."

In some ways he reminds me of Joe Pesci. I have an idea! While Ian is playing a gay street punk, Antonio can be a two-bit thug. It could be American Idol Wannabes Story... like West Side Story, only different. They could "sing" each other to death!

Christopher HenryChris looks normal enough and indeed doesn't seem to be any sort of whacko. They decided he looked like Simon Cowell, which I'm not really seeing. Chris mentioned George Michael, too. That I see a bit.

But what he didn't mention is that he sings with a beautiful woman's voice. I closed my eyes and could have sworn it was a woman. Perhaps Simon shouldn't have made the comment about the stilettos and dress. However, I think the guy could make a killing in drag singing in shows. I don't think he would work in well in American Idol.

Sarah GoldbergSarah looks normal, doesn't she?

She's got a problem.

She can't sing. She knows she can't sing and tells the judges that she's tone-deaf. What's she doing auditioning to become the American Idol? Well, she wants them to teach her how to sing! She wants them to mold her into a pop star from the get-go. It ain't gonna happen, Sarah. And, you shouldn't have gotten as upset as you did about the rejection.
She Wants To Be Called Isadora
She wants to be called Isadora. Ryan Seacrest kept calling her "Julie." I call her performance tonight's Most Notable of the Odd.

Words cannot describe her performance. (Well, maybe if I spelled them wrong and changed fonts throughout each word...!)

Voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir? Non.

There Were Some Good Ones

Jenry BejaranoJenry (pronounced Henry) is amazing. It should be illegal that this kid is only 16-years-old. He's charismatic, extremely good-looking, mature, and he can sing well. Paula called him "easy on the eyes" and I must agree.

A few folks from previous seasons returned to the New York City auditions. Ashanti had gone to Hollywood twice, but didn't make it. Yet fellow ex-Hollywood level singer from last year, Nick Pedro, stunned me again with his voice. Last season, he quit when he forgot the lyrics in the group round. He's going to Hollywood once again.
The Jersey Girls
Best friends and Jersey Girls, Amanda Coluccio and Antonella Barba both made the cut. Nineteen-year-old Sarah Burgess sneaked away from both her parents and school to audition. She didn't think her father would support her dream. She was wrong and she's going to Hollywood.

Kia Thornton is heading there as is Jory Steinberg. Chris Richardson, a bit reminiscent of Justin Timberlake in both looks and voice is heading to Hollywood. A young girl who's on an opera scholarship, Rachel Zevita, came across as a character, but her opera is amazing and she can even sing rock. When asked about herself, she told Simon she's a singer, songwriter, and rock star. Simon told her all of them can go to Hollywood.
Group Hug
Paula seemed coherent for the NYC auditions and Simon went missing for the first part of the second day. One of the ranters (Sarah Goldberg), claimed the judges were out until three in the morning before the second day. All I can say is they weren't here with me.

In the two days in New York City (Jersey), 35 went through to Hollywood. That's the most we've seen from any audition. I think we need a group hug for NYC!

The next auditions come to us from Birmingham, Alabama. Will they bring it and sing it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie... your comments regarding Ian Barnardo were exactly what I said. I laughed at his antics, and I said "somebody should grab this guy and put him in something, like an Austin Powers type movie, cause he is naturally humorous". Not with Austin Powers... don't think I could handle two of them at the same time.

Isadora sounded like she was having a climax, so any man who might hook up (no pun intended) with her should be aware, she's probably faking it.

I thought the judges put up with more than we normally see them do with the pleading and begging after the contestant had been told "no". Sad, cause these are dreams that are being shattered.
Unfortunately, for the most part, they shouldn't have been there in the first place and shame on the parents, friends or anyone else who encourages them to get out there and make a fool of themselves.

At any rate, enjoyed the show and looking forward to more.

Jackie S. said...

meb - I can't see Ian doing anything which requires actual work, but if they ever make a movie 'Gay Street Gangs of New York' - he could play the lead role. I've seen people fussing about the auditions, but this year is no different from the past.

dawn said...

jackie,
Funny my 20 year old son thought the line about new jersey was the best he's heard in a long time. Glad you picked up on it. I think they are definetly showing to many auditions this year. Can't wait for hollywood.

Anonymous said...

IB says he has money!!!! From what or where? I agree too much time spent on horrible, lousy singers!!! Yet at the end of the show, they show all that get a yellow slip. I want to hear them..not the wannabes and just plain who are u kidding singers. Once it gets down to H-wood, I know I did not see them audition!!! @@ Why does America want to see this so-called comedy act of the worse???? I know I do not! Show me the "good" ones so I know them and can root for them. Not see them and go who, what and where!!!

Anonymous said...

In contrast to Delee, there are people like me. I watch the auditions, but then I don't watch the "Hollywood" show. Maybe I'm a sadist....