Sunday, January 21, 2007

'Survivor 14: Fiji' - The Castaways, Part 4

Survivors ready? The new season will premiere Thursday, February 8th at 8 PM ET/PT. Although I haven't seen confirmation, I'm sure it's only going to be an hour as it has been in past years. So, (at least) one of the 19 castaways will be gone before we even get to know him... or her.

I previously listed the other castaways in Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. For easy referencing, I'm also going to add these entries in their own section in the blog's sidebar. Then, as the series airs, I can see exactly how wrong I was in my predictions. Hey, I'm just an avid fan of the show; I'm not omniscient. I refuse to place wagers. In making my predictions and observations, I'm using the bios and favorites listed at the official CBS Survivor 14: Fiji website.

The Last Four Castaways in This Series

Stacy KimballStacy was born in South Korea, adopted at the age of six months, and raised in Montpelier, Vermont. She chose to move to Miami sight unseen at the age of 17, attending the Ai Miami International School of Art and Design, interning, and working full-time. She sounds like a go-getter, doesn't she?

From her bio page: "Kimball enjoys knitting, making jewelry and cooking. She describes herself as resourceful, optimistic and good-humored. Whether living in Vermont, Miami or Boulder, she is most proud of her ability to adapt to her surroundings." She's single and her birth date is October 1, 1979.

What do her Favorites tell about her?

  • For a favorite color, she likes "baby pink." Is that a real color? Is that a new crayon or something? [I'll always miss raw umber and burnt sienna.]
  • She likes backgammon, but lists no video games.
  • Her most common answer throughout the listing is "no favorite." She either likes too many to list or likes none at all, I guess.
  • No favorite TV show, no favorite sport. No Survivor listed. Does she even know the show? I don't know.
  • She likes horseback riding. That's always a good skill for the show, right?
  • Well, she likes Sinatra and lounge music. That's not quite what I expected from her.

Gee, I don't know about this girl. Her favorites don't tell me much about how she'll do on the show while her bio itself shows she might be strong. Her possibilities could go either way, but I doubt she'll win it all or even come close.


Mookie LeeNext up to the plate is Mookie Lee. I had to say that as the only other "Mookie" I've ever heard of was a baseball player. This Mookie was born in Seoul, Korea, moved to Connecticut, and raised in Northbrook, Illinois. His Bachelor's is in Actuarial Science and Finance from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

From his bio page: "Lee enjoys traveling, playing competitive sports (particularly basketball and volleyball) and spending time with his friends and family. He is a die-hard Chicago Bears fan and is a season ticket holder. He describes himself as outgoing, humorous, strong-minded, competitive and athletic." Mookie is single, currently living in downtown Chicago, and his birth date is November 10, 1981.

So far, so good. Taking a gander at his Favorites:

  • Favorite colors are black and blue. I hope he doesn't bruise easily.
  • Another Monopoly player. [I swear that often that's the only board game folks can think of when asked. Me? I'd say Scrabble.]
  • Yet another new castaway not listing Survivor amongst favorite television shows. What's up with that? He lists Seinfeld, CSI, SportsCenter, Entourage, and 24.
  • An interesting (and different) choice of magazines including SmartMoney and Money. In his favorite books I see Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. I'm sensing some sort of pattern here, aren't you?
  • He likes Bacardi and Jagermeister Bombs.

Mookie looks like he may be a strong contender - young, in good physical shape and such. But my Survivor-sense isn't tingling. I just don't get the feeling that he'll make the Final Four. Don't ask me why... and I could be totally off-base.


Sylvia KwanAh, the "older woman" of the cast. Can she break free of the fate of previous Survivor Women in their 50s? (I think of MadDog and the singing one, Wanda...!) Sylvia was born in Hong Kong, but moved to Los Angeles when she was eight years old. After high school, she moved up the coast and earned her degrees (Bachelor's and Masters) at the University of California at Berkeley. She's the founder and Chairman of a renowned architectural firm in San Francisco.

From her bio page: "Kwan describes herself as creative, energetic and determined, and according to her husband, holds the unofficial title of “Ultimate Consumer.” In her spare time, Kwan plays tennis, skis, hikes and plays golf. She’s also happy that she finally learned how to swim, because it was sink or swim as a Survivor contestant. Kwan's never met an exercise routine she didn’t like, keeping in shape with Pilates, yoga, Tai Chi, and any new type of gym equipment introduced." She lives with her husband of 26 years, has two children, and her birth date is August 18, 1954.

Time to glean more insight from her Favorites:

  • In most categories, she lists multiple favorites. That means she enjoys life or that she's indecisive, I say.
  • She likes Scrabble! And Apples to Apples, whatever that is.
  • She enjoys hiking, jogging, and running. [I would think the last two similar interests, but I never got into either.]
  • Once again, no Survivor listed in favorite TV shows. She likes Jeopardy, The Apprentice, and Shark.
  • She has a lot of favorite fruits, but likes sugarless candybars? Oh, the horror! But she redeems herself by liking dark chocolate.

In looking at her favorites, Sylvia seems very health-conscious. She also seems very intelligent. Will those aspects help her make it to be the Sole Survivor? Can she beat the older-woman odds of the show? I think she may do better than some in the past, but I'm not getting winner vibes from her. I hope I'm wrong - it would be cool for a 52-year old woman to win. Yeah, Tina Wesson won one season and she was an "older" woman, but Colby Donaldson handed that win to her on a silver platter. (That's my own personal opinion, of course.)


Yau-ManLast, but certainly not least as he just happens to be the last man on an alphabetical level, we have Yau-Man. Fun to say, isn't it? Yow, man! Yau-Man Chan is originally from Malaysian Borneo (ringing a Survivor bell with me) and moved to the United States where he earned his degree at M.I.T. Then he went on to earn a Masters at the University of California at Santa Barbara. While he's currently the Director of Information Systems for the College of Chemistry at the University of California at Berkeley, he's worked menial jobs while coming up - including dishwasher and house painter.

From his bio page: "Chan enjoys playing table tennis, bicycling, woodworking and reading. He is a member of the USA Table Tennis Association. He describes himself as intellectual and contemplative. He considers himself a natural leader, a good organizer, very skilled with his hands, very resourceful and feels he possesses a keen intellect." Yau-Man Chan has been married for 23 years, has two children and he was born on August 26, 1952.

Oh, but what about his Favorites?
  • On quick glance, I see his favorites are short and to-the-point.
  • No favorite board games, but enjoys the Atari classic games and Mrs. Pac-Man.
  • He's not into team sports at all. [Does that mean he's not a team player?]
  • He likes to watch the news and 60 Minutes. Not a single reality show listed and, more importantly, no Survivor listed. Yikes.
  • He enjoys classical music and reads The Economist.
  • He likes shrimp chips as a snack. Hmmm... never noticed them on the shelves. They sound tasty to me!
  • So many one-word answers.

Oh, Yau-Man seems to have a lot working against him - his age, the fact that he seems so "serious" in his Favorite listings, his lack of knowledge (so it seems) regarding Survivor itself. But, then again, he grew up in Borneo, a key Survivor territory. I'm going to go out on a limb here and give a strong player prediction. I think he might just make Final Four. Don't ask me why - it could be because I like to say his name. And, of course, I have nothing to lose. I'm not placing any wagers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see such an age spread as well as a greater ethnic mix... There was one or maybe two seasons of Survivor that were barely tolerable in the first 8 eps due to the focus on way too lazy and vapid super naieve youngins. I know there can be lazy older folks too... but I am just glad to see the mix -- 20's 30's and 50's... three in their 50's? Not all young and Rudy -- a huge age gap is also painful to watch. With someone other than non-complaining, tougha s nails Rudy, it could have been disasterous or over in the first show. Laddering the ages I think sets the show up for much more sustained interest. Just one opinion

Anonymous said...

I'm with you,Sydney....good to see a better mix this time. I have hated it when the deck has been stacked and they would only throw in one older tribe member to try and appease us "oldsters"...lol. It's not fair for them to start out with any group holding all the cards and then just have to sit back and watch them pick off the ones in the minority.

Thanks for your usual good job at spotlighting the cast for us,Jackie, and I am with you,not sure who looks like the front runner,sometimes you just have to wait and see which side of them shows up to play the game. I agree that ones who are students of the game usually have a foot up in the game from the start. But some are fast learners too,and we shall see. I'm so ready for the season to start.......Let's get it AWNNNNN!!