Tuesday, February 20, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Top 12 Guys - Part 1

If they didn't run all the commercials, tonight's two-hour show could have finished in an hour or so. American Idol is always saturated with commercials, but tonight seemed worse than usual. Feh.

Tonight was the Guys Night Up. Tomorrow is the top twelve girls and then on Thursday two from each group will be eliminated. The pressure is on! Now, although I credit the male group chosen for being better on the whole than last season's group, I'm not feeling the passion in the performances. True, I think there's only one very young guy (Sanjaya) and no Kevin Covais types. But other than Chris Sligh, I'm just not seeing a stand-out talent.

Rudy CardenasRudy Cardenas took the stage first with a version of "Free Ride" which I know as done by the Edgar Winter Group. Um. Okay. He performed the song with a lot of energy.

Was I thrilled? Nope. He wasn't bad, but it just didn't seem the right sort of song for him, I don't think. Randy said it was corny. Paula enjoyed it. Simon said it wasn't anything unique. I agree with both Randy and Simon. I'd say he might have a shot at being one of the two leaving on Thursday.
Brandon Rogers
Brandon Rogers was up next singing Michael Jackson's "Rock With You." I thought, for what it was, he did fine. I think that Brandon has commercial appeal and he can sing. Again, nothing which really struck me as super-fantastic, but decent.

Paula thought he should do less runs in the song, as did Randy. Simon said it was safe and predictable. They're all right.

Sundance HeadFor an excellent initial audition, it's been nothing but downhill for the Sundance Kid. The song he chose was popular circa 1967 or so - "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. Except for memories of the times, it drags way too much for a show like American Idol. I don't think he was as off key as the judges claimed, but I think he sealed his fate. Simon said it reminded him of a Dad singing at a wedding. It just reminded me of the slow-dancing theme of my school days and smoke-filled rooms.

Paul KimI like Paul Kim, barefooted and all. I don't think he'll make it to the end without shoes, but I enjoy his singing. He sang George Michael's "Careless Whisper." I thought he did okay.

The judges thought along the same lines as me. Okay. Of course, that may not be good enough at this stage of the game. But I think he's probably safe on Thursday.

Next to take the stage was Justin Timberlake's doppelgang
Chris Richardsoner, Chris Richardson. The voice, the haircut, the dance moves... I swear he's Timberlake's stand-in. That could be good for him in view of much of the audience, but doesn't do much for me. He sang "I Don't Want To Be" by Gavin DeGraw and did it well in a Timberlake kind of way.

I do enjoy watching his parents in the audience, though. Randy and Paula were positive, Simon was glad the show returned to the current century. But he also said that the song made his voice "sound small." I'm sure he's a shoe-in to make the cut on Thursday.

Nick PedroNick Pedro, the one who choked on the lyrics and quit last year in the Hollywood Rounds, sang "Now and Forever" by Richard Marx. This is another sort of draggy-slow song. I think he can sing well and he can exhibit personality. Where was it?

Simon, Paula, and Randy were bored.

So was I.

Due to the length and graphics in this entry, I'm splitting the show's coverage into two entries. Please check back for the next one!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what that dustup between Simon and Ryan?

Anonymous said...

I was so bored! I can't believe with all the talent in America this is the absolute best they can come up with. They are all so amateur and cheesy. Where is the freshness???? I am beginning to wonder how this show is cast. Will it stay such a big show if the talent stays so sub-par?
Caligirl

Anonymous said...

I wonder if we are being played....I usually have one person that I want to win, but after last night, I just want some ear plugs. Pitchy-off tune-lousy song choices [how did they all choose the wrong song]? I smell a rat here!!!!! I know it SHOULD get better but it needs do so FAST! Per Jackie, too many commercials, and the judges bordered on ridiculous.

Will be gone Weds thru Sat, but will tape all my favs. I just need to stay off of this blog till I view them.

Sydney said...

I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one who could barely watch the first guy and gave up after the third, utilizing the mute button generously to even get there.

How can you go through all those kids at the Hollywood stage and turn out this many duds? Maybe singing at the initial audition, while having the potential to be really nerve-wracking, at least was a song each really rehearsed well. Then when the early fatigue and stress/excitement of the actual competition in Hollywood and the first show -- having to learn songs you've never heard before in hours on little sleep etc... just got to everyone, perhaps it just results in somany being lame and off key? Trying to empathize here.

Is there no adult song supervisor behind the scenes who coaches them on choices that are more right for them? I wonder how they keep getting blamed for bad song choices... Let's HOPE this gets better.

Anonymous said...

Boring,boring,boring! I am so glad that I didn't sit through all those terrible auditions,but was last night much better? Like most of you,NOBODY wowed me!True,I was bouncing back and forth from GILMORE GIRLS,but did watch the whole second half. These are the BEST??? I did like Chris Sligh the best,and loved his little exchange with Simon...man was he pissed!And Blake,Nick and the other Chris were my favs,but again,none blew me away.Hope the girls are better,but not even sure if I will watch them at all,they have tough viewing competition for my part tonight.

And just a word of caution to SANJAYA.......DON'T ever let your sister choose your song for you again. He was AWFUL and the song blew chunks! He is such a baby and his voice is still so immature for my taste. He needs to go home and come back in a few.

Anonymous said...

They can all sing but there weren't any standout "wow" performances at all. Any of them could go. I think Chris Sligh is safe, more to do with his appeal and popularity than his singing. I enjoyed Blake (beat box boy) the most, followed closely by Phil Stacey, I think they are safe. I think the other Chris (Timberlake) is safe for now. Brandon and Jared have the looks and style. So I guess I like half of them, 2 of the other 6 will go. I want to like Sanjaya more, but he may not cut it for long. I didn't notice the abundance of commercials but then I watched it on DVR. Best invention ever! I purposely start watching it late so I can FF through the fluff and commercials. I only watch the actual song and the judges comments, cuts a 2 hour show to about 45 minutes.