Monday, February 26, 2007

Regarding 'The Black Donnellys'

I'll be writing a bit more about this show sometime tomorrow evening before American Idol starts, but this is odd... and worth mentioning...

As I was watching the show, I was thinking how much I enjoyed the Washington Square Park area scenes because I'm so familiar with the area.

But it got better. The bar scenes. Oh. My. God. I know the bar. I have plenty of photos of friends and me in and around it. It's the Parkside Lounge on East Houston on the Lower East Side. I really don't know all that many dive bars, but that's one I know fairly well. The piano keys on the walls, the windows, the pool table, the set-up, it's the Parkside!

Very weird.

The show is good. More on it tomorrow. My Heroes post will be up a bit later tonight, so stop on back.

2 comments:

Sydney said...

Hi Jackie -- I watched it -- I was trying to see if it was filmed in Boston, but when a yellow cab rolled around, instead of a brown and white one (in Boston), I knew it had to be NYC... but unlike shows that make the city a character, there were not any of the beauty shots of our landmarks etc.

Thought this was well done -- and my heart was a bit sinking as I realized it, which was right off, as I just don't know how to fit in another must see TV show... I guess I could tivo it and save the eps for those bad Fri and Sat nights when I wish there was something on.

I have to say, the Irish Brothers/fighting/caring and-the-Girl show reminded me of Denis Leary's work -- he's done movies like Monument Ave with Martin Sheen and there's an element of this in Rescue Me, of which I've been a big fan... (and even his previous network TV show The Job) but if the rest of the season is like the first ep, then the Donnelly's are doing it better.

Anonymous said...

eI thought this was an awesome show! I will have to tivo it though due to the fact that Monday nights I'm a CSI-Miami girl. Great show hope it stays on.