Thursday, February 08, 2007

'Survivor 14: Fiji' - Season Premiere -or- "Yau-Man, Sea Snakes and Luxury!"

It's a Survivor start unlike any we've seen before.

Now, we're a bit cognizant of what was to happen because of the Internet. But, even knowing bits and pieces ahead of time, I was still almost as dazed and confused as the castaways more than halfway into the show.

That's good, of course. I've watched every season and so many premiere episodes just didn't hit the mark with me even if the season redeemed itself as it unfolded.

Jeff expounded on the dangers of the island and the isolation, citing those as reasons a castaway dropped out shortly before being sent to the island. With the odd number of nineteen, the castaways all headed to shore together. Instead of being split into teams or hearing from Jeff, they found a set of blueprints for setting up a shelter, kitchen, toilet and more. Oh, they also had tools. Nature provided lots of fruit and they were eager to explore.
Survivors Ready?
One castaway, Sylvia, is an architect. So she took over the shelter-building directions. I thought she was slightly pushy, but the castaways took to her direction fairly well. I think that since she actually knew what she was doing, that helped not to alienate the others.

Even with the supplies, directions and such, they still didn't finish their shelter on the first night and the heavens broke loose with a storm. That gave them a bit of incentive to get their butts in gear and get the job done.

By the third day, all nineteen were still together -- a tribe without a name, castaways without a cause. Other than the scroll with the blueprints, they had been given no information about what they could expect. They kept thinking Jeff would show up and they kept bonding as time went on. There was a tad of anti-bonding between Andre (who wants to be called "Dreamz") and James (who wants to be called "Rocky," but some call him "Boston"). For the most part, they all got along.

Jeff showed up during Day 3, quizzing the castaways about who came forward as a leader. When Sylvia was mentioned, he called her aside and told her she would pick the tribes. Her choices:
  • Green Tribe - Moto: Cassandra, Liliana, Stacy, Lisi, Dreamz, Boo, Gary (Papa Smurf), Alex, Edgardo
  • Orange Tribe - Ravu: Michelle, Erica, Rita, Jessica, Rocky, Earl, Yau-Man, Anthony, Mookie
As she was odd woman out, Sylvia was sent to Exile Island. Jeff told her she can expect poisonous sea snakes, a clue to one of two hidden Immunity Idols, and immunity from the next Tribal Council. She would return after the Tribal Council and join the losing tribe.
Yau-Man Chan
The Immunity Challenge was a mix of similar challenges in the past, but not quite done before. Two members of each tribe were in a chariot pulled by the remaining tribe members. They had to travel about a quarter of a mile, picking up bags of puzzle pieces as they went along. Once the bags were collected, four members had to solve a puzzle, spin a puzzle wheel, retrieve a machete, and cut a rope to release their flag. Sounds a bit familiar, eh?

Jeff told them that the winning team would also win luxuries including dinnerware and even a couch! The losing team would not only go to Tribal Council and lose a member, but would be sent to a new beach where they would have only one pot and one machete. Moto won the challenge.

While Ravu talked about who to vote out, Sylvia found the clue on Exile Island. It indicated that the Idol was hid nearby the camp. So, there wasn't much else she could do but avoid the deadly sea snakes and bide her time.
Solving the Puzzle

A quasi-alliance had formed between Rocky, Erica, and Jessica. While everyone basically liked each other, they decided to push for a Michelle vote. All of the others were thinking Jessica should go as she was a part of why the team lost (slow on the puzzle). In the end, their three votes were scattered and it was indeed Jessica voted off.

Now that's out of the way, what do I think?

I think the players to watch or, more accurately, the ones I like are: Yau-Man, Earl, Michelle, and Sylvia (if she doesn't continue to lead). I'm still iffy about most of them. Yau-Man should be careful as he's showing how strong he is, perhaps
Luxury Survivorsnot physically, but mentally and in the knowledge of the area. That could swing him through to the merge, at least. I think Rocky/James started out better than I thought he would, but I think he's going to self-implode. I'm straddling the fence on Erica. She could be very strong, but I think latching onto James is sort of like taking a long walk off a short pier.

Overall, I'm content with the start of this season. I think we're in for a good one. Your thoughts?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is funny how you come to expect certain things and when the format changes, you are not certain if you like the change. Does that make sense? At first, I thought what is Survivor becoming? Summer camp? Toilet-kitchen-real shelter, fire, and many supplies. I mean there was a lovely cave, what more did they need?

Now we know was done to create a major jealousy/envy factor. Per last season remember they were asked who wanted to change teams? This may happen earlier this season. Will they do a camp switch at some point in the next few weeks?

This start opens a whole can of questions...can not wait for it to unfold!!!! Weekend in Atlantic City....stay safe and warm all...and TY Jackie

Anonymous said...

I've got to see more of this before I can offer my humble opinion on any one of them. Too early. Don't like snakes. That would have changed my mind too about staying.

Madley said...

Thx for your update Jackie, completely forgot it was starting today! :)

Anonymous said...

Poor Jessica...think she got a raw deal. And once again,the women just stand by and let the men call the shots. Of course,the men decided a woman HAD to go since they'd be getting a woman back when Sylvia returned from exile. Come on,ladies,why not band together and be a force to be reckoned with.DOH!!

Earl does seem to be a very calm,sane voice of reason and should do well. I like Yao Man,I hope his frail performance doesn't do him in right away.Don't much care for "Rocky" or "Dreamz" much,they could either or both go soon and would not bother me.

Now am I getting it wrong or does the tribe with immunity get the "house" each week or is this set up how it's going to stay?? And those seas snakes......yikes. How do you sleep with those things all over the place. I even shuddered when she was walking ashore with them in the water. Not me,no way,would I be out there!!

Anonymous said...

Sylvia......where the heck did that come from......lol. I meant Julie,of course......I'm seeking therapy...honest,I am......LOL.

Anonymous said...

snakes....dont like snakes that not only crawl on land but water too? And IN THE TOWER for crying out loud, how could she stay safe? I think that woman should be given to the winning team since she was brave enough to go, and not so much as a whimper !
Jackie I am just thrilled its back on, thank you thank you, and cant wait for next week!!

Anonymous said...

When did Sylvia become Julie? And it was Rita not Michelle that was targeted.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jackie, THanks for the upates. Like, Lyss, I too like Rocky and Boo. Do not like Dreamz. Was hoping he would get the boot. Was acting very childish.
I this is going to be a very intersting season.
Was proud of Sylvia for being so strong on exile island with all of those creepy snakes around.
Grissom is back.... whohooo. TIVO was working hard last night. New ER, new Shark, new CSI, new Grey's new everything.. Thanks Jackie

Anonymous said...

I watched the second half of Survivor, the second half of CSI, then all of ER. I'm sorry to say I was enjoying the book I am reading more than the tv shows.

Brent McKee said...

My immediate nickname for James after I saw his tattoo was Boston Rock. I'm a bad boy.

Jackie S. said...

I haven't heard if the good camp is dependent on Immunity, although it wouldn't surprise me if it was. The Apprentice has the same sort of have/have not going on and that is dependent on the winning team. Both are Mark Burnett productions.

Those snakes are stunning creatures. But I prefer to not have them in my living space! (Snakes on the whole don't bother me - one of my brothers was a snake freak.)

Anonymous said...

I'm baaackk...just like Survivor! Nice to see you all again. So far my only comment/question is do you think Sylvia could be wrong about the Immunity Idol being at base camp? Couldn't it be considered camp where she got the clue? I just think she didn't give it much thought, although I'm sure there is editing involved.

H♥lly

Jackie S. said...

Welcome back, Holly! I was wondering for a bit if the clue meant it was hidden back at her camp on Exile Island, but then I thought there isn't really any camp there. There are places to take shelter from storms, but no camp, per se.

Anonymous said...

Hey Holly... good to hear from you again. I was confused with where the idol is also. If she didn't understand the clue, how are we supposed to???

Terry in CA... I hate snakes too and can barely handle watching them. Hope not too many ham it up and get on camera.

Boo was my pick from the beginning when you profiled them Jackie, so I'll stick with him for now. If he does something dumb I may jump ship.

Anonymous said...

I suppose since there are two II's then if there is one at each "camp" they have to be really sneaky searching for it so others won't see them.

H♥lly

Anonymous said...

I saw an interview with Jeff Probst and he said that this year there were 2 immunity idols , one at each camp, that they would get the clues on exile island, that they would have to decide how to look for the idol w/o others seeing them look at camp, and that the idols come into play more than once this year. very interesting!

Anonymous said...

Good show!

I would lose it with the snakes. Absolutely could not do it.

Dreamz made me crazy. Not quite sure about Rocky yet, either.

Think I will enjoy some of the new twists this season. Will probably help to keep it fresh.

Jessica was simply a convenient team member to go. I don't believe that any of them really did anything or didn't do anything that warranted being voted off yet.

It would really be disappointing to be the first to go, and to be caught completely off guard.

Looking forward to next week. :)

dla

Anonymous said...

Even though the opener wasn't spectacular I think I'm going to like this season. The players all seem to be quite interesting and their interactions/conflicts with each other has already begun. I can't help but wonder if the "luxury camp" is going to have some underlying twist...like the tribes trading camps if they loose a challenge or giving up the toilet seat and couch. It just seems too good to be true and too easy for the Survivor we have come to know and love.

I was concerned that Sylvia was being too domineering but her tribe seemed to respect her knowledge. At first I thought Sylvia could sleep in that tower where the clue was to be safe, but
that snake up there really creeped me out. I'd love to know where and if she did sleep overnight. OK, "reality" check...there must have been at least a small camera crew there with her so if she did need emergency medical treatment someone would know. Why do I always have to remind myself that the players aren't really alone on that island? ;)

James does seem to stand out as being aggressive, but he should have learned a lesson from Caoboi...stop talking when everyone is trying to sleep. LOL
Erica bugged me for some reason. Is she going to be a back stabbing trouble maker? Actually, it's too soon to tell.

Jessica didn't have much of a chance to prove herself but that's usually the way it is with the first boot. This tribe seeems to place a high value in the physically stronger players and winning competitions rather than assessing someone because of their personality.

All in all, I don't think it's going to be boring. Hope I'm not wrong. ;)

Zoetawny~
xoxo