Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tonight, Tonight - 'American Idol' and '10 Items or Less' Season Premieres

Are you ready for the madness that is American Idol? Yep, it's that time of the year once again. The auditions run from 8 PM to 10 PM ET/PT on FOX tonight. I'll be posting about it all without a doubt later tonight. Please feel free to join me in comments as I live blog the season premiere! I'll get that post up and running about 8 PM ET.

There's a new Law and Order: SVU that I'll be watching after Idol ends.

And, then there's the season premiere of 10 Items or Less on TBS at 11 PM ET/PT. I've watched the first two episodes via a screener copy sent to me by TBS along with a nifty big tote bag. Cool.

If you haven't seen the show before, it's a comedy set in a supermarket (Greens and Grains). The episodes are based on a loose script and utilize improvisation to round everything out. There's a rival supermarket, rival supermarket workers, a clueless boss, and more quirky characters.


Can an armed robbery be seriously funny? Well, yeah, under certain circumstances.

John Lehr (pictured on left -- the one without the stocking mask), who plays clueless boss Leslie Pool, has a lot of comedic and improvisational work in his background. But what I find very interesting is that he's one of the GEICO cavemen in the insurance commercials. He's the caveman at the therapist's office. "He doesn't say anything because he's a doll." You know, that caveman.

If you're looking for something a tad less serious than the 11 PM news, check 10 Items or Less out -- it makes me smile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so excited jackie about AI!!! think i'll check out the 10 items or less ur talking about!!
debie in calif

meb said...

didn't watch 10 items... but it was interesting to learn that the lead guy is also the caveman in the psychiatrist's office. I can't picture it, but cool!

I did watch Idol and taped L&O SUV... I love L&O...any of them. When nothing else to do, I go and find one to watch.

I agree with Simon...if they walk in looking like idiots, don't even let them audition... I know it's never gonna happen, since these nuts make money for the show but some of them are disgusting and if they have a good voice, they don't need the weird stuff going on.