Friday, September 19, 2008

Checking Out the Survivor Gabon Castaways: Part 1

Okay, now that we have Big Brother out of the way, it's time to think about Survivor! I'm going to give my own first glance opinion of the castaways based on what CBS is telling us about them right now along with a few other sources. Definitely jump in with your thoughts! Survivors ready?


Watch CBS Videos Online

Jessica "Sugar" Kiper, age 29, Brooklyn, NY
Well, I'm not so sure about the crying. This isn't BB after all -- no Wahmbers welcome on Survivor! She's a pin-up model/actress/waitress currently living in Brooklyn, but has lived in both the South and the West, too. I just don't know. She seems a bit not cut out for living in the jungles of Africa for me. I do like her thoughts about using the show as a weight loss plan -- that's something with which I can identify!



Watch CBS Videos Online

Ace Gordon, age 27, Naples, FL
He seems quite the character. The English accent comes from being raised in London although he was born in New York. He does definitely come across as arrogant. It's interesting that he mentions he might be portrayed as "evil" when this season is going to be a battle between good and evil, doesn't it? I have a strong feeling that I won't like him as a person, but he stands a chance to do very well in the game if he doesn't offend others too much.



Watch CBS Videos Online

Corinne Kaplan, age 29, Los Angeles, CA
Okay, she's from New York, not California and she's yet another pharmaceutical sales rep. Why are so many of them on reality television shows? Don't they have to work for a living? But, besides that ... I like her views on showmances. However, something tells me we may see her in one if for no other reason than to get closer to the prize. After all, she seems in it to win it. She might be a strong competitor. I'm getting better surviving vibes from her than I did from Sugar.



Watch CBS Videos Online

Ken Hoang, age 22, Westminster, CA
While I think he's young and a bit cocky, I think I'm going to like this kid. He's a professional gamer who will hopefully do a lot better than the last professional poker player. He seems intelligent and he is looking at the show as a game. He's probably going to try to think moves ahead and he just better be good at the puzzles, too! He also seems to be physically fit. Of the ones I've looked at so far, he's my favorite. Mind you, I have over a dozen more to look at.



Watch CBS Videos Online

Susie Smith, age 47, Charles City, Iowa
You know, she might end up being my sentimental favorite. How well she'll do in the game, I don't know. I get the feeling that she might have to rely on others too much and could be weak in challenges. But then again, she grew up working as a crop field worker as a child with her Miexican immigrant parents. She's been through some rather tough things. I'm not all that positive she's going to see too many horses in Aftica, though. I predict no further than mid-season but I hope I'm wrong.



Watch CBS Videos Online

Robert "Bob" Crowley, age 58, Portland, Maine
Oh my, he looks like Richard Belzer's older brother. You know, John Munch on L&O:SVU and Homicide: Life on the Streets. The shame of it is that I believe they're probably around the same age. A physics teacher, eh? My Survivor-sense is telling me he might be a competitor. But I think that he thinks the others will underestimate him. I think they're going to realize he's a threat. I'd say past mid-game for him.

Stay tuned for the next bunch!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I posted this in Bonnie Hunt post, but it seems to fit here better! Thanks for giving the pool a forum Jackie! :-)

Does anyone want to be in a virtual survivor pool? There wouldn't be any money involved. I'll take care of organizing it for those interested. The first 18 people who email me at orkmommy@gmail.com will randomly get assigned a castaway and when they get booted, so do you. Last one standing wins! It's fun even when you don't necessarily like the one you get because at least you have someone to root for from the beginning.

There are 12 spots left, so get em while they're hot.

PDX Granny said...

Good morning, all!!

I haven't had a chance to read all that you posted yet, Jackie. But will soon!

Okemommy, count me in on the pool. sounds like fun! I have a feeling I'll be one of the first booted, but ya never know!!

LAURIE, WHERE ARE YOU???

Anonymous said...

So far, the cast looks interesting. I like Suzie & Bob and don't care for Sugar or Corinne.

Jackie - What was the horses thing in your impression of Suzie? I didn't hear her mention them...

Anonymous said...

dear jackie
thanks for the survivor info i have been in jackie withdrawal. I started every morning with you and end with your writings

thanks for all the enjoyment

mamawolf

Petals said...

Hmmm. Thanks for the lil Survivor vids. You can never usually get a real perspective of the castaways until they are acually cast away, right?
Jax, I think pharmaceutical sales must be like auto sales: you can list it as a profession, but do you ever actually work at it, over any period of time,at the same company? Not usually, right?

What is tapioca? I know it is a pudding/ice cream flavor, but where do the beads come from, what are they made of? What is the nutritional value of a tapioca bead?

Delee said...

I do not have your email Orkmommy and I want in!!! Please!!!

If Jessica needs to lose weight then I am a hippo...oh please!!!

WV is bad to horrible shaped letters.

Delee said...

Tapioca is a flavorless, colorless, odorless starch extracted from the root of the plant species Manihot esculenta. Tapioca is a staple food in some regions and is used worldwide as a thickening agent, principally in foods. Tapioca is gluten free, and nearly protein free. The commercial form of tapioca most familiar to many people is pearl tapioca. (Wikipedia)

When cooked like Americans do it becomes pudding-like but has small round beads. Kind of like rice pudding in texture.

Anonymous said...

Delee - You're IN!

Petals? Interested?

RBennie said...

Thanks for the vids Jackie! Those sure are 6 very different people. Corinne and Bob seem to me like they might be able to go far in the game. I think Ken might be too much of a video geek to deal with the socialization aspects of the game. Ace certainly does appear arrogant. For some reason Sugar seems kind of endearing to me. Okay, maybe I'm prejudice since she lives in Brooklyn. I don't see Susie lasting long at all.

Delee said...

Thank you Thank you, this was a fantastic idea, Orkmommy! Good luck to all virtual players!

Petals said...

Delee - ^5! Thank you, you ROCK.

Ork - sure, gorgeous! Count me in on the Survivor roulette. hehe. I hope I get someone I can really root for!

How you doin' lately, Ork? How's lil Ork doin?

Anonymous said...

We're good! She's settling into the life of a Kindergartner and LOVES it! I just hope she continues to love school this much in 5 or 10 years!!

How are you and yours?

Anonymous said...

In elementry school we called Tapioca "Fish Eye Pudding" - just can't get past that imagery. YUCK
Margo

~~Silk said...

Does anyone else suspect "Bob" is older than 58? Much older....

Anonymous said...

I know BB 10 is over, but this gag reel from the wrap party is histerical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au2COyJEo1E

lynn1 said...

Orkmommy if you have any spaces left in the survivor pool I would like to be included.
Thanx

PDX Granny said...

Orkmommy, did I make it into your pool?

Glad things are going well for your mini ork! My grandson has managed to be "on the carpet" more than any other kindergartener in his class. I must say I'm not surprised. He definitely has a mind of his own! Plus, he's very bright and has a huge imagination. Putting all that together, I can understand how he can be a challenge to his teacher. My daughter had these same qualities, but she was always a favorite of her teachers. Is it a girl vs boy thing???

Margo, tapioca pudding is one of my faves!! You may have just changed that!!

After watching the clips Jackie was so good to post, here are my quick impressions:

Sugar: Is she tough enough?

Ace: In a word - EGO!

Corrine: I bet it doesn't take long for her "true self" to come out!

Ken: Young and somewhat naive

Susie: Good common sense. Hope she goes far.

Bob: Handyman. I'm with you, Silk. I question if he's only 58!!

meb said...

orkmommy... i know you said email you, but seems like you're accepting people from here, so if there's room left, I'd like to play. Sounds like fun.

PDX Granny said...

bj, that gag reel you posted the link for is so funny!! Not having the feeds, I missed out on seeing a lot of the fun they had. And the way they put everything together for this clip is priceless!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

bj,

LOVED, LOVED,LOVED- did I mention that I loved the gag reel!?

Thanks so much for sharing the link.

RJM in SC

joy n said...

bj, yes!, that clip was hilarious! Loved the "Graduate" stuff.

Bob looks a lot older than my hubby and he's 58. I have relatives in Portland, ME, and boy, does that accent sound familiar!

The only one so far that I'm pretty sure I won't like much is Arrogant Ace. He sure is hairless! Even his arms and legs look shaved. This chiuaua (sp) is the one I'll probably end up with. LOL!

Anonymous said...

orkmommy.....if you still have room i'd love to get in on the survivor pool! i've lurked here for a few years now - maybe that will get me posting!!

joy n said...

Patty, could you show the link to Evel's interview with April and Ollie from youtube. I just can't find it for some reason and I would LOVE to watch it.

I also couldn't find that Bonnie Hunt interview with Dan on Jokers. HELP!

Anonymous said...

I have a question.......a few months ago someone here talked about making jigsaw puzzles out of pictures. Could you please comment and let me know what website you use. I think it might have been joyn??

pdx--just saw your avitar...your grandson is adorable!!!!

Anonymous said...

This is the link for Dan on the Bonnie Hunt Show

http://forums.jokersupdates.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=bbnewsandrumors&Number=10457596&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&rc=&fpart=

Anonymous said...

Here is the Evil Dick April/Ollie interview

Also should have signed my name to the Bonnie Hunt Post

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smKZgXkaHXs

sorry forgot the link

joy n said...

Nana, yep, it was me. Just go to www.BrainsBreaker.com. You have to download the main program (about $20.00) but then you can take any picture off the computer and make a jigsaw puzzle out of it. You can make them different sizes, shapes, anything you like. I love passing the time looking for more pics and then doing the puzzles.

Thanks bj, I'm going to check that out right now.

joy n said...

I love Evil Dick just for telling it like it is. April still denies being the biotch she really was, but there's no denying the "screwing around" anymore.

joy n said...

Finally got to see the Bonnie/Dan interview. Sheesh, when is Dan going to change those clothes and why does he keep defending Jerry so much?

Anonymous said...

Where's the hot black dude in the group? He better be commin up...