Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Off Topic: More NYC Doings, TVS Article, Almost 2009


Yep, it's almost that time! Above is a lighted artsy-doohickey thingee I photographed in the Times Square subway station on Monday. She isn't all that mystical -- that white ray coming from her eye is the reflection of the fluorescent light. Clicking on any of the images in this post will bring up a larger image in a separate window. Then, just hit your "back" button to go back to reading.

I apologize for not posting yesterday. I felt like I had been run over by a subway train! My knee replacement knee has a slight bruise and some muscle soreness from my fall. But it's the other knee which is the problem. A huge BLACK and blue along with a bit of a mouse right under the kneecap. I ended up spending the day not moving more than I had to, icing, and elevating. I actually used my crutches to get around.

But today it's a bit better. I went out for errands this morning and, although sore, it got me where I had to go and even carried some groceries. I'm very proud of the knee replacement knee -- I know it hit the pavement just as hard. So, go for the operation RJM!

I have a new article of my "Odd Duck TV Crushes" up over on TV Squad. And, Sydney asked what happens when the writing gig stuff slows down ... I don't earn money. I'll probably be posting more news/opinion articles in January. I hope so, anyway.

For those who really find the subways interesting, I threw some video clips together and made a YouTube video of them. The first clip was this extremely loud jazz group under the Port Authority Building. As I caught the bus home Monday night, I ended up walking through them just about as briskly as the one guy in the clip did. I wasn't going to miss my bus and they were really loud. The second clip, he's lip-synching and strumming the guitar off-key, the third is just a train coming in. The latter two clips I took in September, hence the lack of jackets.




Here are some more photos I took on Monday. Below I whiled the time in front of the Port Authority Bus Terminal waiting for time to go inside and board my bus home. The bus home stops directly across the street from my apartment, so I often take that rather than the train.


Yes, they have a statue of Jackie Gleason from The Honeymooners in front of the Port Authority Bus Terminal.


Above is the NY Times building that guy dressed as Spider-Man climbed a while back. It's across the street from the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Here are some more Times Square shots I took Monday. Thankfully I chose Monday to go. Today has been snowy, windy, and tonight the wind chill is going down below zero.





Whoops! I'm back at Port Authority below messing with a teensy keyring digital camera I picked up for $10 at CVS.


Below is some street guy in front of the Port Authority Building who wanted me to take a picture of him with my teensy keyring camera. He advised me that since it doesn't have a memory card, I'd have to download the pictures to my computer. My ... street people have changed over the years!


I had to run some errands in Scotch Plains and just had to take some photos of the park where I'd sit across from my physical therapy place this past summer. Nifty!



Above is the fountain. It's a rather neat decoration with the insides a'spinning.


Above is the little park. Below is ...


OOPS! Y'see ... it's kind of what happened to me except I did mine on pavement!


Above is the kale early this morning with some snowflakes falling on it.



Well. duh. Who's going to keep walking through the fence?

At midnight, I'll be posting the latest Zoetawny New Year's graphic. I'm in for the night here ... just me, my cat, and my extremely already loud new neighbors in the apartment which was the broken into party spot earlier this year. These new tenants aren't much better than the illegal party animals. Oh, well. I'll let them get away with it for tonight.

4 comments:

meb said...

Oh Jackie... so sorry your knees are hurting you. I was hoping they wuold just be a tiny bit sore last night and today would be all better. Keep off them as much as you can until they aren't hurting.

The Kale is amazing... and so are your other pics. I loved the video.

I too am staying in tonight. In fact I probably won't even make it to midnight. For some reason I'm getting wonderful nights of sleep. I used to wake up every hour on the hour, but I'm sleeping straight through. Vunderbar!

Thanks Jackie for a fun filled 2008here on your blog. I've met so many new friends and enjoyed the commaraderie that came with it.

I look forward to being with you in 2009 as well. HAVE A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR!

Anonymous said...

Oh Darn!! Sorry your knees didn't take the fall as well as you had thought. Sounds like a good reason to stay in bed or hunker down on the couch with a book or the remote control.

I just want to say "thank you" to everyone. I feel like I have made some new friends, strengthened some old friendships and even lost a few friends :(

The snow is gone but it is still cold and windy(wind chill makes it 13 deg.) I will be staying home tonight, however, my sister/husband and cousin/husband are coming over. We are snacking and playing Uno Attack. Our real challenge will be to stay awake until midnight!

Be safe everyone and welcome 2009!!!

Jennasmom said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!

May 2009 bring Jackie good knees, and bring us all great TV and good health! LOL

We are up at our little lake cabin: the little one is asleep, the cat & dogs are in for the evening, & my husband & I will probably fall asleep before midnight!
Ah, life is good!

Will check in later if I'm still up! Blessings to you all!

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I really enjoy your pictures. You know, I don't know that I have ever eaten kale. I will have to check it out when I go to the store.

Our neighbors always have a block party on New Years Eve. Joke is you can always crawl home! I wasn't going to go since I had dental surgery on Monday and am minus my bottom plate. But two of the neighbors came over and talked me into it. One even offered to remove her plate so I wouldn't be alone. Hubby and I went and had a very nice time. No party animals there. Very low key, a lot of food, a few drinks and full of visiting and laughing. I really do like my neighborhood and neighbors.