Friday, December 05, 2008

Sneak Peak -- Leverage on TNT


Ah, this is my Leverage beverage. Alas, I think it's a Red Bull in Leverage clothing. Unfortunately, I lost a game of FedEx tag a few weeks ago and a package was sent back. I think it was the first two episodes of Leverage. FedEx doesn't always work out when you work through their delivery hours. But, not to fear -- I got another package which contained the second two episodes (and my can of Leverage beverage which I'll keep but won't open).

I wasn't sure I'd enjoy the show due to its premise. I'm not all that keen on lawbreakers as hero protagonists. That's one reason I never got into Prison Break. However, I'm finding this a bit different. The team led by Nathan Ford (Timothy Hutton) works along the lines of Robin Hood, but their "victims" are the real bad guys. I watched the episodes scheduled for December 16 ("The Two-Horse Job") and December 23 ("The Miracle Job").

Not only is the casting excellent (I mean ... Timothy Hutton!), but I found the writing to be clever and even witty at times. It's the sort of ensemble casting I enjoy on Bones, but with way different characters. The humor in the writing is what keeps this show from being just another action show. For example, one of the women on the team has a fear of horses (Dec. 16 ep). Why? Because she saw a horse kill a clown once. Then we see the flashback scene which reminded me of Chuckles the Clown being killed by the elephant on The Mary Tyler Moore Show. No parade, but equally bizarre.

I'm really excited about this one. Its debut is this Sunday, Dec. 7 at 10 PM ET/PT on TNT. Then it goes into its regular Tuesday 10 PM ET/PT time slot with another episode on December 9. Yay, I have a new show to watch Tuesday nights at 10!



13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shades of Robin Hood and Dexter

Jackie S. said...

Not quite as delightfully twisted (and bloody) as Dexter. But, in its favor, it's a basic cable channel not premium!

Sydney said...

interesting JAckie -- it sounded like you were describing a bit of DExter's premise there for a minute. IT will be nice to have something on Tuesdays. Thanks for the review.

Oops, just seeing that the first poster mentioned Dexter!

joy n said...

If it's anything like DEXTER, it would have to be good. I'll check it out.

Now if only TNT would add Jimmy Smits to the cast, as it appears his demise is eminent on DEXTER. Sigh..........

I know, I'm hopeless.

joy n said...

Off topic: Happy to hear that OJ is finally going to do some time. Somebody paid attention to the evidence this time.

Sydney said...

RBennie -- if you had your X-mas party last night, perhaps I was too late on those gift ideas today! Sounds like you had a marvelous time!

JoyN -- I was waiting for your Jimmy refrence, lol. I swear I think of you every time I see him!!! He's certainly been able to sink his teeth into the role on Dexter... it's gotten intense and as an actor he must love it.

joy n said...

Jimmy has definitely been intense as Miguel Prado. I've never seen him play such a bad guy and I love it! I realize I may sound biased here, ahem, but I truly believe he deserves an Emmy nod for this season of Dexter. His acting range in this role has been amazing.

meb said...

Got it recorded Jackie... Love Timothy Hutton, so this is going to be good.

As for Dexter... love those expressions on his face when he's dealing with Jimmy Smits... you just KNOW what he has in mind. Wonder how long it will take him to get to it...heheheheheh

Anonymous said...

I promised myself (ok, my DVR actually told me) no new shows. This does sound like an interesting one, though. Can't wait to hear what you all think!

Anonymous said...

No comments since this morning?? Everybody must be busy trimming the tree and decking the halls...or is that shopping in the malls??

I finished one scrapbook late last night, now only 2 to go.

I had my dance group over for potluck and pictionary. We had alot of fun!! But tell me....how would you draw Hillary Clinton???

I'm exhausted so it's off to bed.....good night.

Donna in Alabama said...

Nana, I wish I had been doing anyone of those you mentioned...I was so sick yesterday, I didn't get out of bed. Throwing up and "the other", it is the sickest I have been with that in 10 years!! I am much better today!

I wish I could remember when shows come on other channels. I seem to forget about them because I don't check the guide past the local channels..most of the time.

meb said...

donna in al... so sorry you've been feeling bad. I know a lot of people have gotten that bug... I'm fortunate that I have not.

Jackie S. said...

Yikes, Donna -- It sounds like that norovirus I had a bit ago. I was thinking knee replacement was easier. Thankfully, it doesn't last as long! Feel better!