- In previous flashbacks, we accepted Hugo as a lucky unlucky man, winning the lottery but feeling he was bad luck to all who come in contact with him -- sort of a Reverse Midas. Ah, not so. In the sideways flash, he's still the lottery winner, but he's a successful business man, as well. And a generous one, too.
- In flashbacks, Locke got fired for his walk-about mission. Well, that remained true. But in sideways Hugo saved him by getting him a job through one of his (apparently) many companies.
- In flashbacks, Helen left Locke. In sideways, they're making plans to get married and even hint that his relationship with his father is okay. Say what? How? That would have to be after the kidney fraud. If his father didn't shove him out the window, why is he paralyzed from the waist down?
- In flashbacks, Ben grew up on the island and never left it. In sideways, he's a teacher of European history on the mainland. Huh?
- We also saw continued relationships betwixt the Oceanic 815 folks in sideways. Rose works for Hugo's temp agency, although she has the cancer cured by the island. The first person interviewing Locke for the job (the "what animal are you" person) in sideways was the "therapist" Hugo's father hired in flashbacks to convince him he wasn't cursed by the winning numbers.
And how about the blond kid? Could that be Aaron in some sort of weird time warp kind of way? And where are Walt and Michael? Shouldn't this include them, too? Don't even get me going on the name and number list on the cave wall. It's obvious that FLocke wants to recruit Sawyer, but that's all that's obvious on the island for me at this point. I think the stones on the scale, white and black, signified good and evil. But I don't know.
My head hurts. What animal are you?