Sunday, September 26, 2010

Off Topic - That Was the Week It Was - September 26, 2010


It's Sunday morning, time for my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken. This week is a bit image heavy so I'll be keeping the words part a bit light.

That's all.

Well, maybe not.

The majority of the photos I'm posting today were taken last Sunday when I spent the day at Skaters Circle in Central Park (Manhattan). The Central Park Dance Skaters Association throws a free skating shindig every weekend, weather permitting. I used to go regularly and skate, but the knees have done that in. Some of the folks remembered me, so that was nice.

In addition to photographing the rain, the park and other things (okay, no rain, but I'm thinking of the old Cowsills song "I love the flower girl ... dah, dah ..."), I took a lot of video. I posted a brief clip early in the week. However, I plan on making a mini-movie during the upcoming week as I am having another staycation.

About the only other thing of interest beside work is that I selected my shots for the Plainfield Library photo competition and had them printed into 8 by 10s. I don't really trust my own printer. I'll be dropping them off to the library just shy of the October 1st deadline.

Now, enough said and onto the (million) photos for this week. Clicking on an image will open it larger in a new window.


Police Activity

East Fourth Street in Plainfield. Hmmm ... three marked cars and an unmarked car. I don't think it's a run-of-the-mill traffic stop.


My Baby Takes the Morning Train ...

and then another home again. My apologies to Sheena Easton. Plainfield Train Station.


Busy Bee

It's time for the carpenter bees. Now if the weather would actually turn fall-like. It's actually supposed to cool off today. Yay! Bridgewater, NJ.


Into the city ...


Under Penn Station

I had a few errands to run downtown (in Plainfield), so I took the train into town. I took the bus home from Port Authority Bus Terminal near Times Square because that stops right in front of my apartment building.


Midtown Tourists

I like to take pictures of the tourists on the double-decker tourist buses as they take pictures. I'm not too keen on the ads on the buses (and everywhere else), but ad revenue sources are everywhere these days.


Gah. Gah. I can't breathe!

The subways are all out of whack this weekend and last for track work. Canceled trains, the One line shut entirely down, etc. As a result, the trains are jam-packed. I had to take a few different lines to get where I was going. I was shocked on one crowded train when a man stood up and offered me his seat. That has never happened to me! It was a seat by a door and a cop came along and stood in the doorway with his gun hitting my ear for two stops. But at least I was sitting!


Hubba hubba!

Ohhh, cute NYPD cops. Yeah, go ahead, call me a cougar.
Hubba ...


Waiting for the subway train

The price goes up, the service goes down. Soon we'll all be like Charlie on the MTA -- the man who never returned.


Migrating Monarch

Sure, they're all over the place on their 3,000 mile annual migration and the best photo I got of one was in Central Park.


Imagine

The tribute to John Lennon in Strawberry Fields, Central Park. There was a tribute band playing just outside the quiet zone.


Call me a cab!

Although it looks like the pedi-cab is passing the horse, that's not going to happen. They're on a slight grade and the pedi-cabs all seem to be set in really low gears causing the human horses to pedal frantically and go almost nowhere up hills. The hansom cab (horse) can only travel in that lane.


Forget the wedding party in the cab!
I needs me some grass!
NOW!



Sheep Meadow in Central Park

No, I don't sun, thank you very much.


Central Park is a peaceful oasis
surrounded by the city.


Looks are deceiving

This man can skate. Yes, he can. Once I get the video put together, you'll see.


Purty as a postcard


Fleet feet


Meeting of the skates


Balancing Act

This guy's been around for years at the Skaters Circle. He's usually with Bladie Flowness, a one-man tourist attraction (looks like George Clinton and drives a pimped-out tricycle while hawking his CDs), but he was solo Sunday. BTW - those are bottles of water and yes, he's on skates.


I forgot to mention the pants

Both this guy and Bladie wear these big harem pants. Actually, they should be great to skate in.


You can take the crosstown bus If it's raining or is cold The animals will love you if you do
"At the Zoo" - Simon and Garfunkel

It wasn't raining. It wasn't cold. But this is indeed a crosstown bus.


Reflection

One building is mirrored in another building's windows. So I shot it.


Going nowhere fast

When I left Sunday evening from Port Authority, the traffic was worse than at the weekday rush hours. I have no clue. The buses have their own ramps out of Port Authority and don't deal with this.


Hey, Vincent! Look up!

Heehee. gotcha!
"That's not funny."

How was your week? Don't forget to stop by for The Amazing Race blog party later tonight!

11 comments:

RJM in SC said...

Wow, great pictures again Jackie, The big city looks so intriquing and interesting to us country folks.

meb said...

Jackie... loved the horse eating, the Reflection, and of course... Vincent!

Looking forward to TAR tonight! E-See you then.

meb said...

Oh... I got Nat and Kat in the pool. Lifeguard Laurie listed them over on the previous post. They're the doctors and joyn says she thinks they may be good so I'll take that as a sign that I have a strong team.

Jackie S. said...

RJM - The building in the background of the police car shot is the famed Dakota where John Lennon and Yoko Ono lived and where he was shot.

I really like living here due to the proximity to the city. I can go in after work and still be home at a decent hour. And, of course, I'm not paying Manhattan or Brooklyn (the two boroughs I'd like to live in) rent.

Becky said...

Hey, Cougar, wonderful pictures. I do get the tunes from the song lines you use running through my head. I love the way you end each week with Vincent. Of course he and Calvin think you should also begin the week of reflection with him!

Looking forward to TAR tonight. I have Nick and Vick(i) in the pool. They are the tattooed couple. Vicki's voice and laugh reminded me of Rachael too..... plus all the "like's" thrown in... like can you make a sentence not using like. Like she was a cheerleader all through high school. Okay, like I will cheer for them since they are my like couple for the race.

Sally said...

Great photos! Loved visiting Central Park with you. The reflection photo is very interesting, I chuckled at the horse stopping for a little snack, and I'm very glad I don't have to fight the crowded subways and that traffic. It's hard to believe that it's nearly 30 years since John Lennon was killed--for me, it was one of those "I remember exactly where I was when I heard" moments.

Good news: we're having cool, crisp fall weather in the midwest and it's likely heading your way.

joyn said...

Loved the pics of the skaters, the buildings, the park, heck, all of them. That reflection of the building was especially beautiful, and, of course, the one of Vincent too. Every Sunday I look forward to seeing what new pose you will catch of him.

Along with Terry in CA, I've got Ron and Tony in the pool. One of them seemed a little hot-headed (Roy, I think) and I'm hoping he reins it in.

I'm wondering if that football game will be done on time even with that later half hour. Hope so.

joyn said...

It was Ron that made the remark about Tony. He said even when they play Monopoly, Tony takes it personally and is very passionate and that some may take that as anger. Really hope he keeps that under control.

Lifeguard Laurie said...

Here are the Pool People!

* Andie & Jenna ... Margo, Sally, Caela
* Brook & Claire ... Jackie, ML, Lynn1
* Chad & Stephanie ... Zoetawny, Dusty, Donna in AL
* Connor & Jonathan ... Sydney, Nana of the NW,Lisanne
* Gary & Mallory ... Monty 924, RBennie, Lars
* Jill & Thomas ... Laurie, Buzzman, JennasMom
* Katie & Rachel ... SueGee, SharonS Ben
* Michael & Kevin ... Donna in FL, DKNYNC, Brent
* Nat & Kat ... meb, PDX Granny, Delee
* Nick & Vicki ... Becky, Karen in CA, dla
* Ron & Tony ... Terry in CA, joy n, Merrilee

Anonymous said...

Always love your pics Jackie but this time you outdid yourself - the reflections in the building & the skates are simply awesome.

Online ESPN TV said...

Hi Jackie thanks for sharing the pictures they are just awesome.