Sunday, October 10, 2010

Off Topic - That Was the Week It Was - October 10, 2010

It's Sunday, time for my weekly off television topic post reflecting on the week gone by in words and photos I've taken.

I still feel a bit "eh" this week. I actually called out Monday and Tuesday from work, an oddity for me. But the apparently-flu really knocked me for a loop. But, as a result, I only spent three days coming and going. I plan on a quiet day today.

Hmm ... John Lennon would have been 70 if he lived. I'm not near 70, but that makes me feel old to think he's been gone thirty years.

Random commuting in New Jersey thoughts:
  • I'm horrible. After sharing my commute home with throngs of NJ Devils hockey fans heading to Newark disrupting my normally peaceful commute, I feel a thrill when I hear the Devils were trounced 7-2.
  • Lady in back of me ... stop singing. Now. You're singing off-key to something you're hearing on your iPod. It makes no sense and hurts my ears. Quit it.
  • You, yes you ... eating the Indian food with the curry, knock it off. Eat that stuff at home or, at the very least, not on the train.
  • Get those nasty feet off the seat. Sheesh.
  • But do keep your shoes on, please.
  • If you like your cell phone so much, why do you keep yelling at it?
  • Okay, lady ... it was funny that you announced the next stop was Tickleville and tickled your child the first twenty times you did it. But even the kid wants you to knock it off now. Make the next stop Quietville, please.
  • Look, if you're going to sit in the aisle seat leaving the window seat unoccupied while you hang out body parts into the aisle space, you're going to get thunked by passersby. Stay within the seat area and that won't happen.
  • Underage hockey fans with the beers, cool it. (Why does NJT let people consume alcohol on the trains?) You're getting loud and obnoxious.
  • Stop trying to scam the conductors. The fares went up six months ago. Don't act so surprised and don't try paying a $4.00 fare with a $100 bill. You'll end up booted at the next stop.
  • Stop trying to impress your friends with your train knowledge. Maybe you ride a train twice a year. You know nothing.
  • Get your knees out of my back, thank you very much. Sit like a human, please.
  • No, the seats don't flip and you can't all sit together -- not on this line, anyway.
  • Don't leave that half-empty cup of coffee on the floor, fool.


Blue stop

This oddly-colored stop sign is down along the railroad tracks. I hope the engineer knows where to stop.


Synchronized eating

The next Olympic sport! The corner of Watchung and North in Plainfield.


Wired in the night

A street lamp lights up the wires in Bridgewater, NJ.


Carpenter bee

I took this one before my vacation (flu) and didn't post it. While I posted the same bee on my Facebook, this is a different shot of him. You can tell it's a carpenter bee because its butt is shiny as opposed to bumblebees who have fluffy butts. I like the sweater vest.


Night train

Strangers in the night, exchanging glances ... but never too close. Raritan Valley line of NJ Transit.


Stop calling me Alvin


Police activity

Watchung and East Second Street in Plainfield. Actually, the only activity was traffic direction. East Second was closed off due to utility work.


At five o'clock it's much too crowded
Much too crowded, so crowded
No room for me (too crowded)
Oh, too crowded

The traffic jam on Watchung and East Third Street in Plainfield rush hour Friday. My apologies to the Soul Survivors ("Expressway to Your Heart")


Golden Rails

An NJT train rides off into the sunset which has lighted the rails a golden hue. Bridgewater, NJ. While the train looks short, it's actually six (or more) cars long. Each of the cars have about forty rows or so of seats and there's a vestibule section with more seating in between each car.


A few minutes later



Fading into white

Vincent in one of his favorite spots.

How was your week? Don't forget to stop back for tonight's Amazing Race blog party!

8 comments:

RJM in SC said...

Loved all your comments. You are not being bad at all. Just saying what we all think. I am the same way.Think it-wish I could say it.

Anne said...

KUDOS for saying what we all think! Absolutely love today's blog!!! Feel better, Jackie!

Anonymous said...

FIVE HICOOS FOR ETERNITY

– Mirror on the wall,
please tell me, how can I find
the Source of my Self?

Flashboy, reflection
depends on your Mind, gone like
a window across

This aperture's well
into the trees in order
to get the picture

No camera yields
by the thunder of silence
while nothing stays real

Like Void breaks the still
ness of a lightning above
that calm forest lake.

Single Swingle

- Yours, Peter Ingestad, Sverige

Becky said...

Jackie, no apologies necessary for your comments. They made me laugh. As RJM said, you are just expressing what we all think at times.

Sally said...

Your commuting thoughts had me nodding my head in agreement, and I don't even commute. I've experienced some of those behaviors in other situations and they are very annoying.

The night-lighting photos of the overhead wires and the train tracks are very appealing. And that night train looks rather ghostly.

I love the pictures of Vincent in that spot, with the natural back lighting and the white drapes. The little dude knows where he looks good.

Lars said...

Don't leave that half-empty cup of coffee on the floor, fool.


Haha my favorite line above.

Love Reading your comments.

Delee said...

I wonder where "Alvin" is hiding those nuts he has in his cheeks? So cute!

Love your commentary of rude passengers on the train. I could not agree more!

Lifeguard Laurie said...

Awww, Alvin and Vincent? You made my day!!

Our game ran late today by an hour so I do believe TAR will be that late to air for your side of the country. Worst part is we lost to the stinking Raiders!