Sunday, July 29, 2012

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - July 29, 2012

Good Sunday morning, folks! Welcome to my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photos I've taken. If you're looking for Big Brother content, you can find all my latest posts right at this link. I posted a live feeds report last night and will be submitting one with the late night and overnight happenings in a few hours. You might want to skip this post, but you're indeed welcome to stay!

It was another Super Summer week here in the NJ/NYC Greater Metropolitan Area. I'm SO ready for the summer to end. Heat and humidity? I'm not a fan. Oh, sure ... I love a way cool thunderstorm now and again, but not if it knocks my power out. 

On the Jersey 'hood front, the Demon Hello Ice Cream Truck is still terrorizing the streets. I still have not bought any ice cream from it. I fear I'd start shouting "Hello! Hello!" and start beeping and making farm animal noises.

Speaking of farm animal noises, the urban rooster in the 'hood no longer crows. No, I don't think his goose (rooster) was cooked. I believe the entire Deliverance Family has up and left. For some reason, I think they probably rented out that house and lived there long enough to get evicted for non-payment of the rent. 

On the apartment building front, they finally have all of the video cameras filming the three entry doors to the building. I pretend I'm on Big Brother and peek at them out of the corner of my eye as entering or leaving. How much do you want to bet that someone will eventually steal the cameras?

Once again, I didn't have a great photo-taking week. I got a few decent shots, but I was hot and sweaty or it was raining or I seemed to be running late for the part of the week. Work itself was a bit less hectic, but I'm not getting a lot of sleep due to the BB live feeds reporting atop of trying to lead a normal working life.

Here's what I took to share with you this week:

Lightning bug
Lightning bug up close and personal

Once again, a lightning bug was in the hallway. This time it was up on the wall allowing for a better shot. The windows by the elevator have no screens (although they do have child guards) and people keep opening them as the corridors have no AC. Thus, bugs come in. Look! He has little HANDS!

'shrooms
The 'shroom family

Obviously heading out for a day of summer fun. Bridgewater, NJ

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

 

Just a bee
Bee at work

Bridgewater, NJ

Ball park beer prices
Ball Park beer prices ... whoa!

I took this one through the fence at the TD Ball Park, home of the Somerset Patriots baseball team, in Bridgewater. Now, I can't recall the last time I bought any Miller beer, but I believe a six-pack of 12 ounce cans probably costs less than $6. Yikes! I don't think I want to know the cost of a hot dog. Perhaps they have financing available.

Chicory bloom
Chicory bloom in all of its glory

The chicory blooms at the Plainfield Train Station are usually closed up on my early morning workdays. However, on Saturday when I go in a bit later, they're unfurled for the world to see. It's the leaves which have the coffee connection, not the bloom itself. But I love its little tassels!

Cool mushroom
Almost translucent 'shroom

I found this one in Bridgewater, NJ

Sunflower
Sunflower in the city

Due to limbs down across the sidewalk after a powerful storm on Thursday, I had to go up on the lawn of the home where sunflowers used to line their walk. They have one lonely sunflower plant still growing and it recently bloomed. East Front Street, Plainfield.

Colorful
Glorious!

Due to the new landlord relocating the trash Dumpsters to the back of the building, I found out we have these flowers growing all along the back fence to the apartment building parking lot.

Perched
Perching cardinal

A red cardinal, yellow sunflowers and other flowers make for a pretty scene. East Front Street, Plainfield.

Silliness
What is up with this, Vincent?

Vincent started doing this a lot in the last six months. If I'm at my computer, I'll look over and he's upside down staring at me from afar. He often just sprawls watching everything upside down, then falls asleep in that position. I guess he feels safe here. I'm sure he never did this in his animal shelter days! He's a nut.

4 comments:

Delee said...

I believe the flower on the fence is a morning glory.
I never get a beer if at a sporting event. My Dad will ask me if I want one, he gets one but the price turns me off. Also a beer would make me want to hit the ladies room too often.
I so want to take a mushroom id course. My yard gets all shapes/colors and maybe they would taste good with a steak.
I agree about the weather, a tad cooler would make us all enjoy summer more!

meb said...

Jackie.. I will mimic your word "Glorious" for some of your pictures... the flowers of course, but love the Cardinal on the fence and of course, Vincent is always a favorite.

~~Silk said...

Lightning bug, amazing photo!

Chicory leaves are for salad; roots are for coffee.

Donna in Alabama said...

I agree with you Delee on the morning glory.
Wow, it's been a long, long time since I have seen a lightening bug that close up...
Vincent is adorable! My big cat, Fluffy used to lay like that all the time! I thought he was just so fat, it was the only comfortable position!
I don't drink, but I would not spend that much for one beer!!
Photos are wonderful Jackie!!!