Sunday, January 05, 2014

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - January 5, 2014

Yes, it's another Sunday morning. That means it's time for my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way. Once again, I don't have many photos this week as I'm still having sciatica issues limiting me from getting around much.

This week brought with it the New Year, snow and arctic chill around here. I want to wish all my readers here a happy New Year and hope that it's full of good things for all of us! I'm just happy that the TV drought is ending.

I did my first good deed of the new year yesterday. I ended up having to walk to the store around the corner from me. Thankfully I did because that's when I took most of the photos I'm posting this week!

Returning home, I came into the building via the front door, something I rarely do. However, when I left by the side door (which has no stairs), I had to walk over a very icy stretch on the driveway where folks had driven over where the snowplow plowed the streets. I figured it was safer to deal with the front door with its six steps down, then six steps up once inside.

As I entered the building, I saw a package by the door. I picked it up to see if it was for someone I know. Yep, it was for the not-so-new neighbor directly upstairs from me. I took the elevator to that floor, knocked on the door and was greeted by the girlfriend (wife?) who's also living there. The fact that it's a couple up there, not a single individual, is amazing. They're so quiet! I hope they stay for a long time!

She was thrilled to get the package. She said they never use the front door. I told her I usually don't use it, either. I can't believe the mailman left it sitting there to be possibly stolen. Chances are that even if I hadn't known the recipient, I would have at least have brought it to their apartment door.

Oh, well. This is about my limit for sitting here thanks to the silly sciatica. I hope everyone has a great week. I'm hoping to post something on television druing the week ahead, so stay tuned.

 photo IMG_1482a_zps4e144cc1.jpg
Winter skies

I took this shot on Berckman Street looking northeast towards East Front Street in Plainfield late yesterday afternoon. Plainfield.

 photo IMG_1472a_zpsbb47e1fd.jpg
Looking out the window

Looking down at my neighbor's backyard. Once again I see that they're the ONLY people on my side of the block who haven't cleared their sidewalks. For years they had the best cleared sidewalks on the block. For the last five years they've all but stopped shoveling entirely. It would be nice if the city actually fined people for not clearing their walks.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**



 photo IMG_1481a_zpsc6718461.jpg
Same skies, down the street

I took this shot further down on Berckman Street, the same day as my first shot. I really liked the clouds at just past sunset time!

 photo IMG_1479a_zps20274406.jpg
Dang!

Check out the snow guides by the first driveway. Sheesh, they're taller than I am! We just better not get that much snow this year! For those of you in areas where you don't get snow, snow guides mark driveways and such so that plow drivers know where to plow. Or not to plow, as the case may be.

 photo IMG_1470a_zps85b6c4ae.jpg
Thursday train

My train home from work on Thursday pulled in on the wrong track due to broken track somewhere along the way. That ad needs to be pulled from the side of the train -- the event was over on December 30th. Many of the trains are bearing Superbowl ads. After all, they're touting trains to get to the big "NY/NJ" game. It seems to me that if folks can afford tickets, they can stay in hotels near Rutherford instead of dealing with NJ Transit trains.

 photo IMG_1476a_zpse36cfef3.jpg
Le Vincente

Yes, he's feeling French today.

1 comment:

lynn1 said...

Beautiful photos this week. There isn't much chance of snow down here in Southern Louisiana which is fine by me. We are expecting cold weather with a low of 17 on Monday night. I think I need to move much closer to the equator. I am ready for the January thaw.
Jackie, I am so sorry you are suffering with sciatica. When I had it some years ago I was able to avoid surgery and pain pills with treatments from My chiropractor. It took about 2 weeks of treatments and I have been OK ever since. My aunt and Uncle had it too. My Uncle would not go to a chiropractor he still has troubles from it 2 years later. My Aunt had similar results as me.
During the holidays I got caught up in the Breaking Bad marathon. I never watched the show when it was on but I enjoyed the marathon and can see why it was such a popular show.
Take Care. Hope Vincent and you stay warm and cozy