Sunday, August 10, 2014

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - August 10, 2014

Happy Sunday morning to y'all! Just a word of warning -- this post is my weekly off television topic photo post reflecting on the week gone by in both words and photos I've taken along the way. If you're looking for my Big Brother live feeds content, those posts can be found at this link right here. You've been warned. Feel free to skip this post if you wish!

We continue to have a not horrible but a bit rainy summer here. While I hear some people whine that it's not hot enough, you won't hear any complaints from me! I don't like heat and humidity. I love night time temperatures in the 50s. The last thing I ever would want to do is lay in the hot sun sweating while I burn to a crisp. While we've had some warmer days in the 90s, it pales compared to many summer in the past. Good.

This week's random musings:
  • If you have a July monthly NJ Transit train pass, don't expect the conductor to take it in August just because you haven't had a payday yet. (No, not me. I always have mine by the 1st.)
  • If you're a substitute driver on the NJ Transit bus from Dunellen to Newark, please know your route and don't depend on passengers (me) to tell you that you missed a major turn.
  • I wish the sunflowers that I pass by were growing closer to where I have access without going up on lawns.
  • I have yet another new neighbor(s?) upstairs. My good upstairs neighbor of the last year plus a few months got the boot after his girlfriend left and he either didn't want to pay the rent or couldn't do it on his own. Other than moving in at nearly midnight one night this past week, he/she/they walk quietly on the hardwood floors and I just hear some not unexpected movement around the apartment noises. So far, so good.
  • I'm expecting a Peapod grocery delivery today and the elevator door stuck when I went down to get my newspaper. Eek! I fixed it myself with some WD-40. Yay, me! I don't want the delivery guy/gal to have to lug all my heavy stuff up the stairs.
Onto this week's photos! With the slideshows (groundhog here, flowers after the jump), clicking on the diagonal arrows on the bottom right of the window will make them full-screen. With the photos, clicking on them will bring you to my Photobucket where you can make them larger twice by clicking on the magnifying glass on the bottom right. Just X out to return to the blog. Have a great Sunday!

I had a bit of a treat yesterday morning, as did a certain Plainfield Train Station groundhog. Now, I've seen this groundhog at the station before. But he usually scurries away and hides. It turns out that some of the Latino guys who hang out at the station have been feeding him bread and hard rolls daily. I happened upon one throwing down chunks of hard roll for him and we sat back to watch him come out. Very cool.



 photo IMG_5215a_zps76349695.jpg
Let freedom ring

One of the streetlamps in the business district on East Front Street, Plainfield.

 photo IMG_5274a_zps82e69c22.jpg
Flowers grow on Westervelt Ave.

One of the business on the corner of East Front Street and Westervelt Avenue in Plainfield has a gorgeous display of flowers growing this year. The sunflower caught my attention. One of these mornings on my walk to the train, I'll have to cross the street for some close-ups! Kudos to them for beautifying a rather otherwise boring corner!

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**


 photo IMG_5234a_zpsf712f507.jpg
All red now

The nightshade berries are all red now instead of mixed colors. Don't eat them! East Front Street, Plainfield.

 photo IMG_5256a_zps7c8baebc.jpg
The stinkhorn mushroom uprising

I never saw these as a child because people rarely (if ever) used mass-produced mulch. I have never tested one, but will believe they live up to their name and their odor released when damaged/eaten/stomped/whatever is horrible. They're supposed to smell like carrion. I don't really want to know. Flies like them, though.

*****************************

This week's flower slideshow isn't my best week. The sunflowers seemed to arrive overnight at the house on the corner of Richmond and East Front in Plainfield. Mind you, they never use that walk to come and go -- they have another walk in the back by their driveway and garage. The flower shots once again came from planters, lawns and in the wild in Plainfield and Bridgewater, NJ.



*************************************

 photo IMG_5232a_zpsb17e7e45.jpg
It still lies; it's the lying sign!

Nope, it's not 104. It's merely 92. The time on the sign lies, too. It's two minutes fast and twelve degrees off. But, heck. It's Plainfield. It's probably a low priority to get the sign right. I have no clue how much the town paid for the electronic sign. It should have some kind of accuracy warranty. Don't ya think? Watchung Avenue.

 photo IMG_5229a_zps6f92c2af.jpg
I'm CUTER than that silly groundhog!

Oh, yes. You're adorable. But I can shoot squirrels any day. (Er, with my camera, that is.) I don't always see the groundhog, nor does he stay seen any extended time. Plainfield Train Station.

 photo IMG_5204a_zpsb21069a3.jpg
The 'shroom in the poison ivy

I muted the colors a bit on this shot. The mushroom which seemed to magically appear one day is now kind of hard to the gentle kick. Soon it will deflate. Bridgewater, NJ

 photo IMG_5197a_zps4272e40f.jpg
A moth posed for me

 photo IMG_5217a_zps12555678.jpg
Baby bunny on East Front Street

Now, if you want to talk cuteness ...!

 photo IMG_5210a_zps5207249a.jpg
'I see dead people' saga goes on

I warn ya. Do NOT fall asleep near me on the train. NJ Transit, Raritan Valley Line.

 photo IMG_5228a_zps25c5ab8b.jpg
Hanging in there

A bee hangs in and manages to only partly hide from my camera.

 photo IMG_5290a_zps4bb8b0e8.jpg
NO! I AM THE CUTEST!

Okay, Vincent. You are the most gorgeous, cute, adorable, loving cat in the entire world. What? You want more praise? Sheesh!

 photo IMG_5270a_zpsa54fcb59.jpg
I'll just ignore you

I just lay here upside down on the hard wooden floor and deliberately not look your way.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Love the pictures! That groundhog looked as happy as a groundhog can look! it's not in their nature to smile, but he was happy.
The flowers are all so pretty. I really liked the wild look of the walkway on the last image. I love the flowers all growing and blooming together. So pretty.
Vincent, as always, is magnificent!