Sunday, July 26, 2015

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - July 26, 2015

Good morning! Welcome to my weekly off television topic reflection of the past week in both words and photographs I've taken along the way! This post is a year 'round "feature" on the blog. If you're looking for Big Brother posts, they can all be found at this link right here. If you're not interested in this particular post, please feel free to skip on by it. I'll be posting a Big Brother blog party post coinciding with the East Coast airing of the show and, late this evening, another live feeds post. Stay tuned.

Let's see ... what happened this past week? Hmm. Between work and blog work, my mind seems all muddled! I remember the weather has been nice for the entire midweek on. I was able to open the windows, turn off the air conditioner and not drip sweat upon exiting my home or workplace. Yay for that! I'm so not a fan of heat and humidity. I could deal with a high temperature of 75 all summer.

Gosh, I'm really pulling a blank on the week. I guess the first thing you lose is indeed your mind!

Um. Um. Well, Vincent has a new "trick" but I can't make him do it and haven't been able to get the camera going on time. He runs and jumps on his cardboard scratching doohickey, making it slide five or six feet across the hardwood floor. Then he does it from the other direction. The first time I heard the noise, I was out in my kitchen and ran to the living room thinking something fell. No, it was just Vincent taking rides.

Why is CBS Sunday Morning all about love this week? I don't watch the show for love stories!

Oh, well ... onto the photos. If you click on an image, you'll get a larger version.

Is this pose good?

This year's pigeon babies in Bridgewater have grown!

NYC green cab in Plainfield

Parked at the Plainfield Train Station one morning this week. The train into the city costs about $10, the cab (because they charge round trip flat rate in NJ) costs over $100. Silliness!

All occupants will be photographed

So, I did. This is the sleeping NYC green cab driver.

**CLICK ON 'READ MORE' TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

So ... passengers are getting out in the street?

It's like a foreign language!

Okay ... let's get this straight. You can hail this cab for a metered fare (charging by mile and time on a meter) or you can telephone them for a flat fare ride (like, say to Plainfield, NJ). But if you're below W.110th or E.96th streets (which is most of Manhattan -- below those streets), you can't hail this cab. I find that odd. To me, it's strange they can be street hailed so far uptown, but not in Midtown where all the tourists hang out. Hmm. I suppose there's a reason but it's certainly eluding me at the moment.

A roadster goes by

Because he was scooting right along and I didn't really have the camera ready, I didn't get a good shot of Number 67 there. But it was indeed cool anyway.

Begonias

For some reason, the red Begonias seem to hold up better than the other colors. I saw some nice pink and white ones, but their petals were already browning.

Black-Eyed Susans are happy flowers

They always make me smile.

OBEY

Worldwide Propaganda -- as seen in Westfield, NJ.

I got stuck hauling Trader Joe's in the crowds

Sheesh! I decided to go early evening one day because the 113 bus runs every ten or fifteen minutes to my apartment (although that's not their real destination, but ...!) during rush hours coming out of NYC. But I didn't expect the 59 bus to be totally shut out of that leg in Westfield, nor did I plan to lug thirty pounds of stuff through massive crowds on the sidewalks to North Avenue to catch the 113!

The Kousa Dogwood berries are forming

At the Plainfield Train Station.

Gotta climb to the top

A ladybug makes its way to the top.

Wait. There's nothing at the top!

Protecting the Chotola Apartment Building

A mostly white pigeon surveys the world from atop the building on North Avenue in Plainfield.

Pigeon Patrol

If Alfred Hitchcock shows up on North Avenue in Plainfield, I'm going to go into hiding.

Plainfield Train Station sans NYC cab

But the train to NYC is sitting there waiting to start its journey!

Black-Eyed Susan up close and personal

I was hoping a bee would land on it!

"Do NOT post this photo of me!"

Heh. Vincent's a nut!

9 comments:

Palmaltas said...

Great photos as usual, Jackie. I agree about CBS Sunday Morning and the love show--I slept through most of it and this is usually one of my favorite shows of the week.

SueGee said...

CBS Sunday Morning comes on here at 6:00AM, and I guess in the summer we should expect a different way to show stories again (aka reruns). No way did I get up for all of that! Even with a couple cups of coffee it was still trying to put me back to sleep!

And I too have always loved the Black Eyed Susans! I don't see them at all out here, but sure remember them everywhere in my youth in the Midwest.

SueGee on the LeftCoast

Marybeth said...

I so love hearing about your week and getting to see Vincent! I look forward to it every Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I live in San Francisco and it has been nice and foggy this week. I think it got up to 64 degrees or something yesterday. It amazes me how hot and humid it gets in most parts of the country. I can't deal with anything over 70. It is supposed to get warm later on in the week. Zoe In California

David said...

Your story of Vincent's new trick reminded me of what my dog used to do similar. If I left a towel on the floor he would run and jump on it, sliding. He did the same when I was insulating my house inside and left some on the floor, run and jump on it. He seemed to think it was funny the way he looked at me after he did it. =)

Becky said...

Jackie, another great week. 75 degrees is October in Texas! I am so over summer and temperatures in the mid-high 90's.

Oh, Vincent, I feel your pain. That is the way I look in too many of my pictures.

Bernice said...

The ladybug on the vine tendril is like something out of a fairy tale. I love that image! Have you ever seen the Flower Fairies pictures by Cicely Mary Barker? Your photo reminded me of her artwork.

Russ said...

Vincent looks like a mean drunk this week...

Jackie S. said...

Thank you all for your kind words about the photos! And, Bernice, I haven't seen those. I'll have to Google them!