Sunday, August 21, 2016

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - August 21, 2016

Good morning! Since it's Sunday morning, it's time for my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way. If you're here for Big Brother news, everything I have for you can be found at this link. I'll be posting another live feeds report late tonight as well as live-blogging the aired show. But this ain't that. This post is a year-round regular "feature" while Big Brother is a summer obsession. Or, something like that.

Gah. Although I took some photos I really like this past week, it's been yet another hot, sweaty, painful and exhausting week. My appetite has been off, probably due to the heat and humidity. That's okay -- losing a few pounds is always a good thing. Unfortunately, the sciatica has been hanging in and, I believe that due to it, my right knee has given out on me twice. I didn't fall either time. I don't think it's a problem with the knee replacement itself. I do think it's the sciatica affecting my use of the knee. And, people wonder why I'm so anxious for retirement ...!

There was a horrific NJ Transit bus accident with two fatalities in Newark one morning this week. It was a t-bone type accident with the driver of one bus passing away. The second fatality was a passenger on the other bus. The bus which crashed into the other was a 59 bus, the bus route I take for jaunts across town or into Westfield. When I saw photos of the deceased driver, I've been on his buses before. While I didn't know him well (as I do some NJ Transit train and bus folks), he wasn't a crazy driver at all. I'm thinking it might have been a medical issue. He was 70 years old. Either that or the other bus ran a light. Very sad.

I really don't have much more for you other than the photographs. For some reason, this week turned out to be Bird Week. Hey, I shoot what I see! Clicking on an image will bring up a larger version ...

Yes, I see you

An American Goldfinch in its autumn colors looks at me as I take his photo. His black cap is gone, with just a hint of ashy grey in its place. It's good to actually see the New Jersey State Bird for a change!

A seagull now guards North Avenue

While there is a similar pedestal for birds on the east side of the Chotola Apartment building on North Avenue in Plainfield, this one on the west side of the building is always the prize perch. Last week I shot pigeons there, this week it's the seagull.

A crow poses for me

I've read and heard on nature shows that the crow is one of the most intelligent of the wild birds. They supposedly remember individual people. I wonder if this one will remember I made him famous on the internet! Plainfield Train Station.

Then there was a bunny

I always get a kick out of rabbits standing still thinking I can't see them! Bridgewater Train Station.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

Don't eat them!

To be honest, I'm not even sure what they are. They're growing in an area populated with poison sumac and poison ivy. I do know they're not poison ivy berries! But, when the deer and the birds don't eat them, I wouldn't either! Bridgewater, NJ

I see dead people

The saga continues on the Raritan Valley Line of NJ transit commuter trains.

American Goldfinch in a tree

He's definitely more striking when he has his black cap on! His wings still bear some black, but not quite as dark as the summer colors. However, the yellow is still bright and noticeable!

Three female American Goldfinches

They too are turning autumn. While they aren't as stunning as the males of the species, they're usually a mellow yellow tint.

I'm still pretty ... right?

Why a vest, I don't know

With the heat index around 100 degrees, I wouldn't be wearing a leather (or pleather) vest! These two were walking on North Avenue in Plainfield.

It's all mine! It's all MINE!

A sparrow has hit the crumb treasure chest in the form of a cupcake wrapper at the Plainfield Train Station.

Along came a Northern Mockingbird

When I was taking photos of the American Goldfinches in the tree, this Northern Mockingbird arrived, sat on the nearby barbed wire fence and just his presence scared the goldfinches away. One year the mockingbirds had nests in that area and they'd dive bomb anyone and any creature who dared to walk nearby. They're extremely territorial!

The day is getting to them

Ephemeral mushrooms growing in wood mulch are delicate and almost translucent. But, as the word "ephemeral" means -- short-lived. They sprout overnight and, with the day's sun, they're gone by midday.

Hey! What's going on over there?

When I got off the train Friday evening after work, I could hear music coming from somewhere. I tracked it down to Park-Madison and the corner of West Front and Park Avenue in downtown Plainfield. They had free school backpack giveaways and lots going on for the kids. And, the music was loud. I just peeked, then sat across the street on East Front for a few minutes to catch the NJ Transit 113 bus to my apartment. If I hadn't been so exhausted and there wasn't a special BB18 show to cover at 8pm, I would have hung out there for a bit.

Ah, this explains it!

Tiny moth

As this little moth flitted about, I thought it was simply black or a dark brown. But once I shot it, I could see the pretty patterns. It was probably less than 3/4 of an inch with its wings outspread.

Watch the gap, especially if you're flat

I pasted a close up of the image on the sides of this "Watch the Gap" ad on NJ Transit. Perhaps if you're flat with no feet, it's easier to fall through the gap!

Just resting on the ledge

The poison ivy is thriving

Despite all of the plant butchering and poison spread around killing a lot of the flora, the poison ivy at the Bridgewater Train Station refuses to go away. It's even sprouting new leaves this late in the season.

Caw-caw

The crow at the Plainfield Train Station once again, this time in full form. Check out those feet!

Still hanging in there

Although most days I don't come by at the right time to see them in bloom, the flower-of-an-hour perseveres at the Bridgewater Train Station. They're starting to get overrun by other weeds, though.

The flowers and note caught my eye

I was near the Plainfield Police Memorial at the Plainfield Police Station downtown when I saw these. Apparently laid down a while ago as the flowers have dried, there are roses on the ledge and a bouquet with a note (in a page protector). Sorry about the sun glare, but it was hitting just right that morning!

The note and bouquet

It's been a bad summer for homicides in the city. I'm not all that worried about myself except when my workplace makes me work late evenings. The homicides seem to be targeted and even one which they say wasn't targeted was a person who was always hanging out on the streets at night. I don't hang out on the streets at night! I prefer to be inside my apartment.

Seamstress on a train

This woman had two dress bags and was busy sewing throughout my ride on the NJ Transit Raritan Valley Line. From what I could see, my guess would be bridesmaid dresses.

The teeny moth again

Busy being Vincent

I tried to awaken him for the photo. He claims it's his scheduled nap time and I should leave him alone. (Believe me, he does move! He gets into these fits where he tears around the apartment like a crazy cat!)

4 comments:

Petals said...

Your pic prompted me to do some slam research of blackbirds, crows & ravens.
Thanks for you pictures, Ms Jackie :)

Happy Sunday, everyone.

Palmaltas said...

Enjoyed all the photos, especially the little brown moth!

cctru said...

Love your comment about the bunny - I thought the same thing the other morning when I surprised one in my driveway. Thankfully it decided to freeze AFTER it moved out of my way.

Becky said...

Jackie, you haven't warned us this year so I will do it. Danger! Danger!! The birds are taking over the world.

Beautiful pictures.