Sunday, November 27, 2016

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - November 27, 2016

Good morning! Since it's Sunday, it's time for my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way. This is a regular Sunday part of this blog in addition to the television posts. Right now I'm covering Big Brother: Over the Top daily -- you can find those posts at this link. I'm also live blogging Survivor episodes as they air on Wednesday evenings. Come join the blog parties!

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving! As per my usual, I spent the day here with Vincent. I don't really have much family left and, of what few are left, no one is local. I often turn down invites to join families of friends for the day. I would feel like an intruder and, after all, it's not my family. After decades of such, I've grown to like the peaceful solitude of the day. I made a turkey breast feast for myself and relaxed. I always have to work the Friday and Saturday after the holiday, so I can't travel anywhere. I'm also in a very busy and stressful work environment, even worse at the holidays. So, I'm content with what I do for the holiday. Maybe, if I ever do get to retire before I pass, I'll travel to visit family. But for now and many decades gone by, as they say, it is what it is. Christmas is pretty much the same.

So, this isn't really my favorite time of the year. I do enjoy seeing the excitement of children, especially toddlers, seeing the hubbub and lights. I do have some very good memories of the season. But it's all photographs and memories at this time for myself. And, work, work, work, then more work.

I am thankful for the friends and family I have in my life, as well as you folks who faithfully follow this blog! I'm certainly thankful for Vincent, as well as my previous cat companions over the years. I'm thankful I've always held a job and kept a roof over my head even though I'm so ready, beyond ready, to retire and pursue things I want to do rather than things I have to do. I'm thankful for Peapod Grocery delivery so I don't have to deal with supermarket madness. I'm thankful I live in an area with so many different kinds of people with lives so different from my own, yet enriching my own life and enforcing the realization that the majority of people are good at heart.

Okay, onto this week's photos! I didn't really get great shots this week. I managed to arrive near the train station one day just in time to snag a few photos of another (the same?) Red-Tailed Hawk atop the Chotola Apartments Building on North Avenue just as he was preparing to fly away. 
 

Sitting in the railway station ...

... got a ticket for my destination. Whoowoo. ('Homeward Bound' - Paul Simon) I was actually homeward bound. This is last night when I arrived back home in Plainfield after yet another workday in life. Although the train itself stretches perhaps a long block, only about ten people got on or off at this time at the Plainfield Station. However, inside the train -- the two cars that were open -- it was quite full for a train this day and hour. Many people were heading home to NYC from the holiday or just heading into town (Manhattan) for holiday season happenings. I just wanted to get home and put my feet up.

Where'd they all go?

Y'know ... there was a party going on with pigeons and starlings here. I come and they all flew away! Do I have bad breath? Am I inappropriately dressed for the party? Every time I try to join in on the bird fun, everybody leaves me here alone! I feel shunned! It's enough to give me a complex! 

Getting ready to swoop away.

At least I got nice detail on that red tail of his!

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

And ... he's GONE!

The Lone Azalea hangs in.

It's definitely suffering some with the weather, but hanging in there. If I hear it scream in pain, I'll pluck it and put it out of its misery. Bridgewater, NJ.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Unfortunately, it's not an apple tree and someone probably is accusing coworkers of stealing an apple from his lunch. As seen on Watchung Avenue in Plainfield.

Leaning Justice and Peace is eace

Symbolic of life as of late? The flags in front of the Friends (Quakers) Meeting House on Watchung Avenue aren't as pristine and upright as they once were. None of us are. I guess at least Love stands true and straight.

Train tourists

Starting on Monday, the train tourists began. People traveling back or forth from the city, people going to events in Newark and NYC, people who try to impress less traveled friends with all their train knowledge prowess. Mind you, they're usually wrong with such knowledge as they too are train tourists. Luggage all over the place, the smell of open beers. Quiet Car? Why do they have a Quiet Car -- it's PARTY TIME! Excuse me, Train Tourists ... get your darn luggage out of the aisle and hush down! Some of us are doing work commutes. Despite what Prince sang, life isn't really a party. Oh ... and get your nasty feet off the seats, jerks! (Not directed at dude in this photo.)

Danger, Will Robinson!

Attention! Attention, pigeons atop the Chotola Apartments Building! Look up! A hawk is eying you from above. Run for your lives! Fly away, fly away, little birds!

Excuse me, Vincent ...

... that bag is not for you! I don't want cat hair all over the inside of it, thank you very much! I only set it on the floor for a minute and you had to knock it over and climb inside! Sheesh! You are such a CAT! 

Who? Who?

Who let the cat out ... of the bag? Okay, he let himself out. And, Vincent does not have a huge head and tiny body! He wanted me to let you know that. He does, however, have delicate and dainty little paws. (Until they snag a mouse and then they become the Claws of Death.)

1 comment:

Russ Schnoop said...

Oh, my Sister, I miss the Thanksgivings that we all would pile into the family car and head for the Grandparents' house... Whether West Stephentown or Petersburg, it was, in some ways, the "Over the river and through the woods" experience without horse and sleigh...
You and Bryan always have an invite here, but our individual circumstances tend to rule against that ever happening. So we continue where we are in said, individual lives, making it the best we can and at least, a day of peace in a world that is uncertain of anything...
I think you are, unwittingly, becoming part of that Red Tail Hawk's publicity campaign, to show the world that he really is a good guy who deserves the trust of everyone, despite sort of a bad history... That story line seems to have run rampant these days...