Sunday, August 20, 2017

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - August 20, 2017

Good morning! Since it's a Sunday morning, this is my weekly off television topic post taking a look at the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way. This weekly post is done year in, year out. Big Brother, the main draw for so many of you, only lasts about three months -- although sometimes it seems to be a lifetime. If you're here solely for the BB posts, please feel free to skip this post. You can find my latest BB19 posts by using this link.

I really don't have a heck of a lot for you this week. It seems like the majority of my commutes were rain-filled or high heat and humidity bearing. So, I didn't really take many photos and, you realize if I take photos of landscaping rocks, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here. I will say that, with all the rain we've had throughout the summer, everything is amazingly green and lush for late August. Usually by this time, the lawns that aren't watered are dry and leaves on some of the trees are even dying.

Some random thoughts this week:
  • I'm not as thumpy or door-slammy as many neighbors in the building. I'll have to work on that.
  • People seriously need to keep moving when they step off a train or enter/exit stores. Ahem! People are BEHIND you. 
  • Amazon Prime needs to stop using USPS for their "guaranteed two day delivery" packages. USPS is the most undependable carrier out there. A huge part of why I went to Amazon Prime is the delivery guarantee time. I'm only home two specific days a week. If I order something heavy for home delivery, I time it to appear on that day. I don't want to schlep heavy stuff from work to home on the train.
  • That said, I will be re-watching all five seasons of The Wire for free on Amazon Prime.   
  • Soon I'll qualify for less than half-fare on NJ Transit.
  • But I won't be able to retire due to the added ridiculously high expense of health insurance on a reduced income even though I'd have Social Security, my work pension and my 401K. If not for the work-related health insurance ending -- although I can still carry cheap life insurance -- it would be easy to make ends meet. If you can retire at 62 on Social Security, you should be able to get Medicare at the same age!
  • Grr.
  • I have two full weeks of work, then a three day work week, then my next staycation. I seriously need it.
Onto the few photos I'm posting this week ... 

Please

Not only on NJ Transit trains, but in the employee lounge at work, too! Sheesh, I'm the one with knee replacements and all kinds of leg and back issues. Yet the people nearly 40 years younger than I am tend to not be able to sit upright with feet on the floor. They have to sprawl out and practically be lying down in the chairs. I don't even like to sit on the chairs in the lounge -- they're all feet grungy. I feel like I should sit atop a plastic bag like I do on street benches.

Let the sun shine ...

Caught in the sun's morning rays, this morning glory is quite splendid indeed.

Fashion, beep beep

Trendsetter in motion on North Avenue in Plainfield.

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**

Wow, it was dry enough ...

... for the flag to fly in the wind. Most of the week, the flags were wet or drooping with still and humid air.

Not much longer

While the Flower of an Hour still shows its blossoms (for an hour daily), more and more they're passing. I'm sorry to see them go. But I don't mind summer leaving us. I don't like the heat and humidity, not at all.

Another NJ Transit rule for life and trains

If only ...

Landscaping rocks

More sunlit glory

Are you comfortable, Vincent?

I actually think Vincent spends most of his time being comfortable ... usually on me. Yes, I am just a cat couch.

3 comments:

cctru said...

I hear you on the insurance woes. I tried to retire way early (at 50) but not having insurance forced me back to work part time (and then poor spending habits forced me back to full time darn it!). At least I got to change careers and chose something that paid pretty well and had no responsibilities so I get to leave work behind unlike my previous career.
Hope you find the right path to happiness!

monica said...

I agree 100% on Medicare & SS. It would make sense. Maybe that's this problem!
Go Vincent, you pretty boy : ) you!

Jackie Hardin said...

Retirement isn't all that fun. Insurance is eating us up. We are to old to go back to work. So I'll set here and watch BBAD