Sunday, January 15, 2006

New 'Survivor' Castaways: A Closer Look at Austin Carty


The next 'Survivor' castaway to be peeked at in my 'A Closer Look at..." series of entries -- Austin Carty.

According to the CBS official page about him, he's a 24 year old author living in High Point, NC. So, let me see what I can find out on the web about him...

I first checked out the book a bit. It's entitled Somewhere Beyond Here and was self-published in 2003. Now, I have nothing against self-publishing or I wouldn't be blogging as that's a bit of self-publishing in and of itself. However, when you talk novels, to garner any real notice, it's still the old publisher house rejection letter mode that makes authors turn to self publishing their stories. I see his Amazon reviews on the site are mostly good with one real detractor. I also see it's all local to his own area. That said, I give the 24 year old credit for enduring the process of writing a novel. I've been there and done that and it's a lot of discipline required to finish. (I still have all my rejection letters!) Being on the show will increase the attention and I'm sure his book will be more noticed as the season goes on. But he better keep his day job.

Let's see what else his CBS bio says about him:
Well, he's written two more books and secured a NYC literary agent who's shopping them around. Kudos to him for the work! Of course, NYC is the home of literary agents, but that's beside the point. He supplements his writing income or lack thereof (it's very hard to make a full time living writing novels unless you're highlist) by modeling and has worked retail, waiter and bartending jobs. From the website: "He describes himself as charismatic, humorous and genuine. He believes his athleticism, strength and intelligence will help him become the Sole Survivor." Okaaay. We'll see.

Onto his favorites to figure Austin out:
He likes Scrabble. I like Scrabble. That probably won't help him on 'Survivor.' His favorite sports are soccer and beach volleyball -- again, not really helping him to win the show. He likes running and hiking. Those activities could help in comps. He has nice taste in junk food and has no favorite alcoholic drink.

Well. Not too much to go on after all.

What's my prediction for his exit from 'Survivor: Panama - Exile Island'? Remember, I'm just going on bios and my initial impressions just by reading what's about on the web (no spoilers). I'm not getting great vibes for longevity on the show from here. I predict an early boot -- within the first four.

I could be totally wrong. Your thoughts?

No comments: