Friday, October 27, 2006

Sneak Peek: TBS New Series '10 Items or Less'

'10 Items or Less' CastTurner Broadcasting's cable station TBS has undergone programming changes since its incarnation back in 1976, going from the "The SuperStation" to the "Very Funny" station. Or, perhaps it's the Very Funny SuperStation.

Ah, but the question is...

How funny is it?

The station airs a stock group of syndicated sitcom series which have a track record for being Very Funny. And, come November, they'll be offering a new original series airing late-nights, geared for the adult market and, promising to be Very Funny.

I was lucky enough to secure a sneak peek at the first two episodes of 10 Items or Less, set to premiere November 27 at 11 PM ET/PT.

This series is the brainchild of creators and executive producers Nancy Hower, Robert Hickey, and John Lehr (who also stars in the show). It's not quite the typical sitcom as they're using a "loosely-scripted" format and depending on the cast for improvisation to make it Very Funny.

Does it work? Let me just go into the premise a bit before I answer that question...

Leslie Pool, played by John Lehr, is a rather unsuccessful businessman in New York City who takes it upon himself to run his deceased father's grocery store (dubbed Greens & Grains) back in his hometown in Ohio. Greens & Grains is a small independent grocery with a handful of quirky employees and a very competitive super grocery chain store right across the street - the Super Value Mart. The show is actually filmed in a real supermarket with real customers coming and going. And, it's "loosely-scripted" which means that while they have a detailed outline for each show, the actors don't work by script. They're given a general idea of where the episode wants to go and they're encouraged to improvise.

So, a lot of this show's success will depend on the comedic quick thinking of the cast. Does it work with the cast at hand? I think it does on the whole. These grocery employees are indeed "out there" but I myself have worked in stores over the years. Dang, some of these character-types do exist. I swear they do. Yeah, they may be exaggerated to a point, but they're out there. They really are. And, the actors in the series seem to be into character and thinking on their feet for the most part.

My personal favorite character interaction in the two episodes I saw was that between Christopher Liam Moore as Richard and Greg Davis Jr., as Buck. Buck's a bagger who, when offered a move up the ladder to cashier, sees the dollar signs and the big bucks in the esteemed cashier role. Richard is the current cashier, a very particular and rather persnickety individual. He feels threatened by Buck's aspiration to be a cashier, yet strangely drawn to following Buck's lead at times. Together, I find these two characters to be a hoot. (Yes, Very Funny.)

Overall, I think this series probably isn't going to take over the world, but it will attract an audience, especially in the 11 PM time slot when much of the programming is on the serious side. I had a few chortles and at least one guffaw while watching it - and I like to guffaw. I don't do it often enough.

One thing I think took a bit away from the show was the shakiness of the camera during rather still-focused shots. I'm a reality TV buff and I'm used to that sort of camera work, albeit I'm obviously a bit ignorant about the correct technical jargon for it. But, darn it, stop wiggling so much when focused on one character for a few moments! It detracts from the scene on hand.

The series will air Monday nights at 11 PM ET/PT on TBS starting November 27th. The cast includes John Lehr, Jennifer Elise Cox, Robert Clendenin, Greg Davis Jr., Chris Payne Gilbert, Kirsten Gronfield, Christopher Liam Moore, and Roberta Valderrama.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

TY Jackie
There seems to be many new shows hovering on the horizon...3LB, Daybreak (ABC Taye Diggs), and others I can not remember! Thank you for the info on this show. Sure need a laugh! Love the comedic reruns on TBS (K of Q's-Raymond-Yes Dear)But how many times can you watch those?

Anonymous said...

It's about time we get some quality silliness. I'm sick of not laughing. I've seen some promos on this show. I laughed.

Anonymous said...

I am catching up on your blog and have a non TV question. Does power go out a lot in NY? Or are you in NJ? Everytime you get any kind of weather, there seems to be a good chance of power outages. How inconvenient.. I just wondered. They are very rare where I live. Maybe it's caused by the number of folks who live in NY?

Jackie S. said...

Anon @ 9:00 - The power doesn't go out all that often here. Alas, we still have overhead power wires and lots of old trees around here, so bad storms sometimes cause outages. Tomorrow here in NJ, we already have high wind (up to 60 MPH gusts) and flood warnings as well as gale warnings at sea. I'm a good ten miles from the nearest shore point, so erosion isn't a real concern. Power outage or flickering is a worry. If it flickers, the elevator in my building shuts off. Grr.

Anonymous said...

Same here in Central PA, Jackie. Winds may be up to 50-60 mph gusts. I have huge maples in my yard and power lines aboveground. Can not wait!!! Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an east coast thing except we get threatened by power outages when it gets too hot. Maybe it's more about population than weather.

I love Survivor but this year it's boring.

Amazing race has its ups and downs but this year it's rich. Cho brothers are unbelieveable. I would travel with them anywhere. Very cool. But the alliance will have to run its course. I hope the ---wins are not the victims.

Anonymous said...

10 items or less sounds like a funny new, different kind of show, & i can't wait to record it & watch it the next evening !! I can't stay up that late !!
I remember the first few seasons of Saturday night live were the funniest & most innovative TV watching ever, then i just stopped watching it, & never caught up again !!
Speaking of reality TV, is anyone a Bears fan out there ? Bear down, Chicago Bears !!

Thanks, Jackie for being a TV watcher like so many of us, & reporting it & offering a forum like this !