Friday, November 03, 2006

TV Newsy Bits - November 3, 2006

It's Friday! Does that mean that Friday Night Lights was on? Of course not, that's now a Tuesday show or Sunday or Wednesday.

Sigh. I watched Meerkat Manor's latest episode earlier tonight. I like the show, but was already saddened a week or so back when news reports revealed that Shakespeare is indeed dead. (Silly, not William Shakespeare... Meerkat Shakespeare!) And now little Blossom. At least she didn't just vanish and not get any sort of mention like Shakespeare did. Rest in peace, little Blossom.

Adding to my ways I don't want to die: I don't want to be eaten.

Are you a fan of The Class? The first episode or two didn't really snag me in, but I've been growing more comfortable with the show as of late. BuddyTV has an interview up with David Crane and Jeffrey Klarik, the show's creators. Here's an excerpt:


How did you guys come up with the idea for The Class?

Jeffrey: We were actually cleaning out our basement (laughs) and we found a big box of old photographs that had belonged to David and we were looking through them and they were a whole bunch of pictures from his old 3rd grade class…

David: And we were looking at one of those pictures that has all the different pictures of all the little kids, and Jeffrey said to me, don’t you wonder who all these kids are today? I mean, they're all in the picture and they’re all 8 year olds with smiling faces and now they’re all in their late 40’s, and it’s like, “Who did they turn into and who’s happy?” And that basically turned into what the show became which sort of asks the question, “OK, who were you in 3rd grade and who are you now, and who gets to be happy?”
Oh, my. I'm trying to think back to the person I was in third grade. That was the year of my first eyeglasses and, if memory serves, the year I started reading Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys books. I was going to be a child crime-solver, yes I was. Happy? Hmmm... that answer would have to go into different levels for different aspects. When I was in third grade, I didn't realize that life has its complications. I'm not a perky person. But, that doesn't mean I'm not happy.

In other TV Newsy Bits:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a huge Meerkats fan. Love to see them at Animal Kingdom (WDW). Unfortunately it is the cycle of life, hard when they are so dang cute! I am feeling bad for Daisy...Mozart keeps being a bad girl, but Flower seems to overlook that!!!! Sad that Blossom wandered off, but soon maybe 2 litters of 3-5 will be arriving. So happy that we are not preggers as often as them! I keep hoping Shakespeare shows up, since they have no idea what happened to him. Mitch is so like him!!!! Did I say I was a HUGE fan. IMAO

Anonymous said...

Let's see....last night was slim pickings for me. I watched that 1 vs 100 again and have to say,I find it rather stupid and boring. And having Saget as host,well let's just say,he's not my favorite for much of anything. These people get to a certain amount and they just walk or they lose on the simpleton questions.I don't find it challenging or fast paced enough to suit me. I did watch and kind of like that "The Rich List",can't remember what night it was on,on Fox,I think. That seemed fun. Amazing how many films,songs,etc you forget a certain artist,star or what ever did. They had Tom Cruise movies,Broadway plays,etc. I liked it,although it had some British guy as the emcee. For God's sake...why??? We don't have enough talented Americans without a job,that we have to have those limeys on our shows. THAT really bugs me.

Then I tried with "Las Vegas",but for some reason,it really bored me this week.So I turned over to that 20/20 report about Priviledge in America. It was interesting,but not sure I agreed with all they had to say.

Tonight,the night of boringest TV on the planet.........I am watching season 3 of "Six Feet Under"!!! Thanks to Netflix!! After watching OHIO STATE win their game....of course...GO BUCKEYES!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sharon.... I know 1-100 dull and slow. As for Saget, he will seem like a dream vs William Shatner and his new FOX's "Show Me the Money" Where are the HOT young guys????? I just starting watching Las Vegas last year and I like it. Just watched Nip/Tuck and Christian sure had a close call and the medical waste in James car. IMAO
Sat. sure is a wasteland, but L&O SVU/CI re-runs on USA. Diners/drive-ins on Food Channel 9p, and a show I have watched on the Travel C called 5 Takes-USA. They tour around and each have $50 a day. This time the travelers are from outside the US. Worth a try at 10p if you like travel. Think tonight they are in Alaska. Sry hard to explain!!!

Sydney said...

I was at the Houston Zoo at 8 AM this morning. If you're a member, once a month they let you in early when many animals are more active, and you get to see several being fed. They have a meerkat exhibit-- started with 6 and they've multiplied to 21. YOu could really see all the social stuff that they reveal on the show. It's evident, not all editing and voiceover.

They were not behind a big wall or cage so you could get very close. They were hystercial, and like everyone on TV, much smaller in person (just like Cher, Stallone, Eddie Murphy, Tom Cruise, Salma Hyek etc. --They're all TINY).

They definitely had the centinal who climbed to the top of a pointy rock formation (looked a little like the Hoo-ville tree at the center of their little village) and stood tirelessly on his hind feet with his little hanging hands and kept his focus skyward, his eyes and nose darting to varying degrees left, right and center. A caregiver walked in and they didn't scamper or react much at all. He said they built the cage so birds can't swoop in to get them, but the centinal meerkats still freak out at helicopters and helium balloons. He says baloons hover in a way that a predator might.

The funniest thing is how they would be very active one minute, then completely crash, dead asleep seemingly in an instant... in really funny positions. Could have stayed all day.

I keep checking but Meerkat Manor is not scheduled in my area, and has not been since maybe July...

Anonymous said...

Sydney, it is on Animal Planet at 8p E Friday. Wow..thank you for your essay on meerkats. Nice to read how their behaviors mesh with the show. AR on tonight...need some entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Now see... that's why I couldn't watch Meerkat Manor Jackie. First Shakespeare is confirmed dead and then your eulogy "Rest in peace little Blossom!" It brought tears to my eyes... and I'm serious. Poor little things. They are so cute, but I just couldn't handle the intense drama.

But..the comment Sydney wrote on the Houston Zoo Meerkats... that I would love, cause these guys are protected and I wouldn't have to deal with the bad stuff.

Agree, Sunday is a lousy night for TV! I got caught up on all my Tivo'd shows.

And I'll repeat myself... if you aren't watching Criminal Minds, you are missing an excellent show.

Later.

Anonymous said...

Ooops... lost a day... I meant Saturday is a lousy night for TV.

Anonymous said...

MEB....was wondering Sun....good Sat bad IMAO

Anonymous said...

Regarding my childhood, I started school midyear in a school that allowed mid year starts. Then in the third grade we moved to a school district that did not allow this practice. So in January I entered a split 3rd/4th grade class as a 3rd grader and in June I had completed the 4th grade. Then we moved again and I entered the 5th grade in September at a new school. After having attended two schools as a 3rd grader (as far as I knew) I don't have a clue as to who the kids were in "The Class" at either school where I was a 3rd grader. Oh, BTW, in the middle of the 6th grade we moved again. Luckily for me, we stayed in one place for a while and I was able to finish high school in this location, so I finally got to know some of my classmates. My high school class will be having its 50th reunion in 2010 - I should live so long!