Thursday, February 08, 2007

'Lost' - "Not in Portland"

Jackie's TV Blog, Lost

Aha, last night, in addition to American Idol, it was the long awaited return of Lost! Now we're in for sixteen new episodes and no repeats until it vanishes for a while once again.

There was an hour-long review and informative Lost Guide which aired before the show. Alas, I taped that and won't have time to watch the tape until over the weekend. So, I'll have to go guide-less as I did watch the new episode last night.

Remember, when we last left the show, Jack had nicked an artery during Ben's spinal tumor operation. He did that to blackmail the Others so they would let Sawyer and Kate escape.

So they we were... (I remember it as if it was only three darn months ago)...

Juliet was actually the focus of this episode for the most part. Her flashback sequences showed that she was stealing some sort of drug from the hospital (clinic?) run by her ex-husband, Edmond. She was experimenting with her sister, trying to allow a pregnancy (or create one, I'm a bit fuzzy on that).
LOST - Juliet
Her ex caught her, a research facility in Portland tried to hire her, but she turned them down as her ex-husband would "never allow it." In her interview, she broke down and told them that she wished Edmond would get "hit by a bus." And, guess what? He sure 'nuff was! And, it seems that the Portland lab isn't exactly in Portland. Whether it's tied in with DHARMA, I don't know, but it's definitely tied to the Island. Oh... and Ethan was there.

Back to the Island stuff --
Juliet, who once asked Jack to let Ben die on the operating table, told him she'd help Kate and Sawyer escape if he'd fix the nick. Jack accidentally nicked another artery and Ben unexpectedly awakened. Jack told Ben that Juliet had asked that he let him die. Ben talked to Juliet alone for minute, then she was off. When Jack asked Tom (the Other) what was going on, Tom told him that Juliet and Ben "had history."
LOST - JackMeanwhile, Alex (Ben's daughter) had saved Kate and Sawyer from the Others and offered a boat for the escape. Now, all three hostages - Jack, Kate, Sawyer - know they are on a smaller island two miles from their own island.

There was a hitch to her rescue and boat offer, though. She wanted them to go with her to save her boyfriend who was being held captive in the only place she hadn't been able to enter. The boyfriend, Karl, was the kid who escaped from the bear cage when Sawyer was first tossed in one.
LOST - Everything Changes
He was being held captive and Kate showed she doesn't mess around. She was ready to shoot the guard's knee if he didn't tell them where Karl was. Once they found him (in Room 23), he was in a brainwashing sensory-explosion kind of room which reminded me of the scene in A Clockwork Orange where they propped the main's eyes open and played Beethoven's 9th Symphony over and over again. Messages were going over a screen amidst images and things you'd liken to an LSD trip while Karl was strapped to a chair with bizarre goggles on and forced to watch. The "Everything Changes" image here was one of the ones on the screen as were messages like, "We are the cause of our own suffering."

Sawyer, Alex, and Kate dragged Karl out to the boat where they were met by Danny (Other) with a gun. Just when it looked like they were goners, Juliet showed up and shot him to save them. She told them that Alex had to stay because Karl would die if Alex wasn't on the island when her father's surgery was done. So, Kate and Sawyer took off for their island with Karl slowly coming to his senses. Jack had told Kate not to return to try to save him.

Jack asked Juliet what had changed her mind and what Ben had said to her. She told him that Ben agreed to release her and let her go home if she saved him. She's been on the island(s) for 3 years, 2 months and 28 days.

And, there it was. We have some new numbers to play with and more background on Juliet, too. I have to say, although I enjoyed the show, now that I've gotten hooked on Heroes, I prefer the pace of that show.

What did you think of the episode?

6 comments:

Jackie S. said...

Lori - To be fair, I also posted this late. I posted the American Idol entry the same night as the show. But, the Lost entry had to wait until last night after work. As a result, it got posted not all that long before folks were immersed in Survivor, etc.

I don't know about the five seasons. I *think* only four seasons are needed for syndication, but I could be wrong.

I felt a bit let down by the show, too. However, I got an email from someone who didn't comment and he seemed very pleased with it (or maybe just with my recap).

Anonymous said...

Well I loved it! Both. The "catch up" was probably for those who haven't been watching the show before, but I liked it cause I caught a few things I had forgotten... not that it explained anything for us faithful viewers, but I enjoyed it.

And I thought the new episode was excellent with Kate and Sawyer trying to get away and being chased and then the bad guy (??) getting shot by the blonde (??) I am so bad on names.

The girl being the child of Ben was a shock. I thought she was the child of the French woman, and if so, does that mean that the French woman and Ben got together at some point??? Or am I getting the girl mixed up with another girl?

See why I like this show... You never know what's really happening or who's who. That's why I like the show. A play on the word "Lost" is why it makes it so good. Where is Quintain when you need him... talk about being Lost. HA!

Of course, this is just my opinion. Thanks for letting me give it Jackie.

And the reason I did't comment sooner was I didn't watch it until later (Tivo'd) cause there was so much going on-on tv and in my life. Planning a wedding... YAY! Granddaughter is getting married in March. Oooops.. there I go, telling my age again.

Anonymous said...

I was so exicted about the new episode that if we had an earthquake I might not have noticed. That is if it were under a 4.0. LOL

I wasn't disappointed but not exactly thrilled but that may have been because most of it was expected already. We all knew Jack wouldn't let Ben die. Not sure if Kate and Sawyer actually do get off the island. We might know next week. It was interesting to see more of Juliet's past and perhaps why she is on that island. Seems as though Ben is holding her captive too, if he's going to "let" her go home. She's obviously not there by choice. I'm so wanting to know more about Ben, why he has control and why he and his followers are there in the first place.

I agree with you, Jackie, I like the pace of Heroes better and hope Lost steps it up in future episodes.

Anyway, we sure have a lot of good TV viewing coming up. Thanks again Jackie for all your efforts making the TV viewing even more fun.

Have a great weekend, all.
Zoetawny~
xoxo

Sydney said...

Jackie -- I had never really gotten into Lost, saw just a few eps in the first 2 seasons and gave up... so I watched the catch up first hour special with great interest, to see if it would explain enough for me to want to watch Lost. Just from reading here how confusing last season was for the true fans, I actually think they know they are in danger of losing old fans, and that viewership like me who has never caught on would be forever unreachable so they did this catch-up in hopes of getting those like me to give it another try...

As to the die hard fans, I figure that first episode had to have been clearer, answer a few of all those new questions from the fall, and deliver some sense of cohesiveness or they'd be sunk with ratings (and advertizers!). From the posts here, I can't figure out if they did that for y'all. From Lori and Meb and Zoe's comments here, seems they didn't downright nail it for you fans, did they.

Sydney said...

BTW-- I never ended up watching Lost after the catch up, though I thought they did a good job of explaining things. But my reasons are I can't add another show to my life!

Anonymous said...

MAN!!! Lori...thanks. Now I must really be slow, cause I didn't know any of that and I don't miss an episode. But I guess I miss a lot of what's going on at the time. I am so engrossed in trying to figure things out, I must let other things go right over my head. You really explained a lot. I had forgotten that Russo's daughter had been kinapped as a baby, and it makes sense that Ben would have been the one to take her in. But then there's another question to be answered...why do the Others steal the children?? OK...I'm Lost again...

And you're right Sidney... they didn't nail it and they aren't going to... that's the draw for this show for me... like, what else can they come up with. I love their creativeness (is that a word). I'm impressed with their talent to come up with things week after week.