Friday, February 09, 2007

TV Newsy Bits - Friday, February 9, 2007

Jackie's TV Blog, Newsy Bits
Brrr! Brrr! As you may or may not know, where I live hasn't made it up to the freezing point in over a week. This morning, neither did my apartment. Well, I exaggerate a bit. The temperature in here was in the 40s (F) as the building's boiler apparently decided to go whimper in the corner or something.

Thankfully, Zoetawny created a fireplace Newsy Bits graphic for me. And, more thankfully, the heat's on again... but I wouldn't call it warm in here. It's slowly creeping up to a normal temperature, though.

So... what do you all think of the sudden death of Anna Nicole Smith? What a shocker, eh? A train friend told me about it as I headed home from work last night. In some ways, I'm not surprised. I think her life was such a series of highs and lows and, especially since her son died, everything may have caught up with her. I wasn't necessarily a fan of hers, but she sure was a part of pop culture. It's a sad ending. Now Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband is claiming that her baby is his. Yikes.

In other TV Newsy Bits:
  • One of the candidates from The Apprentice: L.A. dropped me a note about my Lost review/recap. He only briefly mentioned the Apprentice reviews. Since he's still on the show and didn't post to the Lost entry publicly, I won't reveal the name. But I will ask him for some sort of interview after either he gets fired or wins it all. After all, now I have his email address!
  • I heard more from Primatech Paper. Apparently the two files I couldn't open before now can be accessed. When I check them out, I'll report back.
  • According to an article on Reality TV World, it seems FOX itself blocked Akron Watson's golden ticket to Hollywood, not the producers of American Idol. An excerpt: "We are informed at the end of the day [by Fox] that you can't invite this person or persons, and we don't ask why," Lythgoe told reporters during a conference call on Thursday, according to Newsday. "To be frank, we're not interested [in why]. If Fox believes it will damage the show... then it's best they just don't come along." They also explain why his segment stayed in the auditions show. Hmmm... the plot thickens.
  • Celebrity Spider is reporting that last night's Survivor 14: Fiji premiere won the ratings race in its time period, beating out Ugly Betty.
  • In Big Brother news, the Jokers Updates site has what it says is the last chat transcript we'll see from Marcellas Reynolds. Do you think it's the last we'll see of him? Oh, well, I have a white robe which reminds me of him and there's a guy named Boo (as opposed to a gnome named Boo) on Survivor. I'll live.
  • We haven't seen the last of George Takei on Heroes. Inside Pulse has an extensive interview with him.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think its very sad about Anna Nicole. She will finally get her icon status though: she always wanted to be like Marilyn, this will unfortunately make it so.

I hate that the news is analyzing her mothering skills. She may have been a little off, but there was no doubt she loved her late son and her baby daughter.

~Susan

Anonymous said...

Susan ~

I completely agree with you regarding Anna Nicole. It is truly tragic, and the media circus is out of control. She has appeared to be so lost since the death of her son.

And now the "fight" for the baby begins. . .

dla

Anonymous said...

So sad about Anna...what a bigger than life person she was. She really made it her business to capture her 15 minutes.This is sad because now that little girl,who seemed to bring hope into her life will always be the center of a controversy. Rest in peace,Anna.

I am so sick of this cold(no,frigid)weather! It has been below freezing here since the beginning of Feb. and no relief is in sight.Right now,it is 6 with a wind chill 0f -14. Help me,Mr. Wizard!!!!!Stay warm,Jackie!

Anonymous said...

Agreeing with the Anna Nicole story...sadly she did end up dying way too young as her idol MM. I was a bit concerned that her mother wants custody of the baby..I wonder if Howard K Stern can recover from this, he seems to have devoted his life to her.
I wish they would let her rest in peace,maybe a few more weeks of this and she can.

Anonymous said...

It infuriates me when I see Anna Nicole's mother on tv. Anna Nicole was estranged from her mother & family members, and now they are flocking in for the "kill". Anna Nicole would NEVER want her mother NEAR that baby.

~Susan

Sydney said...

Wow Jackie -- congrats on being contacted by an Apprentice contestant, would be great for you to have an interview with him!

Also, pretty interesting that Survivor beat out Ugly Betty in the ratings, after all the hoopla about the latter, what with Survivor being so long in the tooth. At the same time, UB is of interest to probably a very specific audience, even if they are wild about the show, and Survivor reaches further across the viewership spectrum. Makes sense, but it was fun that you found out the facts.

I'd be interested to see if that remains the same in the middle of the season, as more people can tune in for a season opener and not stick with the show. What do you think? I'd love it if I remember to check back with you on that one...