Sunday, March 25, 2007

It's 10 PM - Do You Know Where Your Children Are?

Um, no, I don't know where my children are. I know where my two cats are, though. And, I usually know where I am.

The local FOX affiliate's slogan has been in place for forty years and they're not letting us forget it. Channel 5, WNYW, in New York City, has had an ongoing anniversary celebration going on for a number of weeks now. Back in the days before FOX itself came into being its own network, WNYW started a newscast at 10 PM... a revolutionary thing for a world where we all knew local newscasts had to start at 11 and act as intros to Johnny Carson!

Back in 1967 when it all started, the slogan (It's 10 PM, do you know where your children are?) was an apt fit for the times in the city. Alas, these days 1 AM seems to be the new 10 PM. (Sigh.)

One of the local papers has an interview with Ernie Anastos regarding the anniversary. Of course, Ernie bailed out of WCBS Channel 2 where he was co-anchoring with Roz Abrams before WCBS sent her to the cornfield. I don't blame him. Together, Anastos and Rosanna Scotto make a good team. The chemistry is so much better than Anastos and Abrams although I can't think of a newscaster with the name of Rosanna without thinking of Gilda Radner's character Rosanna Rosannadanna. Eep! Thankfully, Rosanna Scotto isn't of that ilk. But, you know, it's always something.

Due to primetime programming, I don't always watch the FOX5 News at Ten, but when I do and I hear that slogan... it brings back the days of my own childhood in the late 60s to me. And, believe me, my parents always knew where I was at 10 PM even when I preferred they didn't!

Happy anniversary, FOX5 News at Ten! And, thanks go to blog reader Lisa for the heads-up on the Anastos article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My husband is a UPS driver. He used to deliver to Ernie Anastos' house. Not that he'd ever answer the door in his own house for crying out loud...but my husband saw him leaving for work a few times with his makeup on. I guess he would either do it himself....hmmm...or his makeup person came to the house. We just always thought that was strange.

tbc