Well, it was the big season finale tonight. In retrospect, I think this is one of the few shows which hooked me right off the bat.
Each week I sat mesmerized by the happenings with nary a moment to relax in between the thrills and chills. I'm going to miss this show.
I thought the ending of tonight's show was a bit different from what I had expected, but it was fitting. Ah, but that's later. Here's what happened on the show...
- The voice of Mohinder Suresh opened the show saying wise, pithy, and prophetic kinds of things. Make him shut up, please.
- The show started by tying up the loose ends on the dead folks from the last chapter.
- DL regained conciousness.
- Nikki asked why he took the bullet as he could have just allowed it to phase through him.
- We asked the same question.
- No on got an answer.
- Linderman remains dead.
- Thompson, Bennet's ex-boss from Primatech, also remains dead.
- Mohinder, Bennet, and Parkman are still in the Kirby Plaza Tower.
- Molly reminded Parkman he once promised to keep her safe from the Boogeyman (Sylar).
- Parkman told her that no one would hurt her.
- Bennet, with some persuasion from Parkman and Mohinder, decided that she could remain alive and actually help them by finding Sylar.
- Bennet told Mohinder about Thompson, the corrupt organization he was working for, and how he (Bennet) is a good guy.
- They kiss (not literally) and become buddies once again.
- Meanwhile, Hiro talked with his father.
- Hiro wants to find Ando; his father thinks his destiny, his mission, is more important.
- Hiro respectfully refuses - "I won't abandon my friend." He goes off looking for Ando.
- Sylar is still at Isaac Mendez's studio. He's not happy with Peter Petrelli paintings.
- Nathan's mother told him that Linderman is dead.
- When Nathan seemed to waver, she reminded him the plan wasn't just Linderman's.
- "The world will need me after the explosion. This changes nothing," said Nathan.
- Back at the Kirby, DL doesn't think he can make it and told Nikki to go find Micah and return.
- Claire and Peter called Bennet to tell him that Ted (Nuclear Hands Dude) Sprague was dead.
- Bennet and Peter both agree that Sylar, in addition to Peter, absorbed Sprague's power.
- Bennet told Peter that he would locate Sylar as soon as they fix the tracking system (Molly).
- Molly had a bit of a relapse, but was "fixed."
- She pinpointed Sylar's location on a map. Bennet recognized it as Isaac's studio.
- But he couldn't tell Peter that because...
- Peter led Claire to Nathan and his Mom, telling her he trusts Nathan.
- Claire ends up going off with Nathan and his Mom.
- Peter passed out on the street.
- He awakened watching himself back nursing Mr. Deveaux.
- And... his mother is talking to Charles Deveaux!
- Deveaux is in on the whole thing. They're discussing which son to use to save the world.
- Mom Petrelli thinks Nathan is the one because Peter was so iffy.
- Deveaux told her that Peter had heart, compassion and hope -- he was the one.
- It turns out that Deveaux can see the invisible Peter and talks to him once they're alone.
- "You had the power all along," Deveaux told Peter (sounding a lot like the Wizard of Oz). "You just needed to know how to use it.
- Back at Isaac's loft, Ando arrived with the sword to kill Sylar.
- Sylar sneaked up on him and stuck him on a wall, telling him he didn't want his brain.
- But then Hiro arrived to save the day! Or, at least, to save his best friend.
- Sylar taunted Hiro about freezing time.
- "Can you do your little trick quicker than I can do mine?"
- ZOOM - Hiro did it. He and Ando are back in Japan at their workplace.
- Hiro told Ando that he taught him the meaning of bravery, but he (Ando) must remain behind.
- Back at the Kirby, Candice is playing her illusion tricks.
- Nikki found the right room, but Candice is done up like Jessica and Micah is laying dead on the floor.
- Then it was Jessica's turn to save the day.
- She appeared in broken glass and told Nikki that she was stronger and it wasn't Jessica (Candice).
- Nikki went a bit Jessica on Candice and rescued the alive Micah.
- Back to Claire -- she jumped out of a tall building to escape from Mom Petrelli and Nathan.
- "Let her go," said Mrs. Petrelli.
- Bennet came across Peter who was still down on the street.
- He told Peter he'd take Claire's place with the gun if Peter can't control the radioactive hands.
- Bennet said he owe Pete. And, more importantly, he told him to call him Noah. Noah, eh?
- All of the heroes are working their way towards Kirby Plaza.
- Peter and Sylar face off.
- "Didn't I kill you once before?"
- "Didn't take," said Peter.
And, we're not even sure Sylar is really dead. One of the last scenes had his blood (no body) running into a drain with a cockroach scurrying in it.
What about the explosion? Well, Peter's hands did go crazy and he couldn't control the power. Claire tried to shoot him as planned, but couldn't do it. Then Nathan saved the day. He arrived and flew Peter away and we saw an explosion. Why couldn't Peter fly himself away? Maybe he can't concentrate on flying when he's exploding? Can't Peter live through the explosion? Ted Sprague couldn't blow himself up, after all.
And, what of Hiro? After running Sylar through with the sword, it seems Sylar slung him back into the past where he's surrounded by armored men on horses.