Thursday, June 07, 2007

'Big Brother 8' News (And Lack Thereof) and Rumors

Jackie's TV Blog, BB8, Big Brother 8

Thanks to graphic artist Zoetawny, I have a new fancy Big Brother 8 graphic! So, I'm ready for the season. Now, where's the news? What's the skinny on the show?


Alas, more of the news out there right at the moment is rumor and/or speculation rather than anything concrete.

If we go by the history of the show, it's likely that the houseguests themselves don't know if they made the cut or not. It's usually not until mid-June, a bit later even, when the houseguests are whisked away to sequester pre-show, pre-entering the Big Brother house.

So, cast announcements probably won't be made before the third week of June or thereabouts. But usually there's more news at this time, at least about the schedule of the show. For some reason this year, CBS is being mum about things. We know that Julie Chen (the Chenbot) will be hosting again. We know that Arnold Shapiro stepped out and Alison Grodner will be the sole executive producer. We know the premiere date -- Thursday, July 5.

But... but... what about Pirate Master? Our friends at Buddy TV asked the very same question in this article. After all, that airs in the same Thursday night slot where BB usually resides. Perhaps C.S.I reruns will be bumped for the summer? I doubt that as even the reruns are a cash cow for CBS.

The TV Grapevine website has the rumor that this season's twist is going to revolve around high school bullies. I hope that's just a rumor -- that wouldn't be my idea of good television. The MSNBC site has a blurb mentioning the show (with a pic of Mike Boogie), but tells us nothing new besides the fact that Rock Star doesn't seem to be returning.

So, that's where we stand. Rumors, speculation, but all we really know for sure is that July 5 we'll be watching the show. As news about the feeds is released, as well as news about the cast or showtimes or twists, I'll let you know!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i cant wait for bb8!!!!!!
deb in calif!!!

Anonymous said...

If Pirate Master doesn't get the ax before BB8 premiers, I would be happy if Big Brother eviction night moved to Fridays. Although the ratings might suffer. What other option is there? I don't think they want back-to-back Tues/Weds or Sat/Sun shows.

I agree with Jackie that the "bully" idea would be terrible! I don't think they need a gimmick this year, just go back to 12 strangers in lockdown. That's plenty of entertainment for me!

Can't wait to share the experience with all you guys again this year! Only 28 days to go!

Anonymous said...

I think they'll move Pirate Master. They put it in the Survivor timeslot to get people hooked, and if they move it people will follow.

That's just my opinion...

Sydney said...

Bummed that there is no Rock Star this summer. The first year was great because it was a bona fide rock band in need of a new lead singer.

Last year, Tommy Lee was the thing to tune in for, and the contestants who were interesting and slugged it out with true hunger. But the "band" wasn't a real band and had no good songs... they would have had to hunt this year for someone needing a front person... The Cars are back on tour with no lead singer, but Todd Rundgren stepped in. Queen would be great, but I saw one perfromance of theirs onTV with someone singing lead... in now way was anywhere near Freddy Mercury (I guess, who could be?). Who else is there? I can name a few more, but I guess they could not come up with one(or one willing to commit). I think it breathed new life into all who
particiapted.

Maybe Dave got too cocky, maybe Brooke Burke is having her baby and it will be on next summer! HOPE SO!

dla said...

I am so sad about Rock Star!!! I absolutely loved that show, and was a devoted loyal viewer....

Sydney, you are probably correct in that they could not find a band to fit the model. ;(

I also think Dave got way to cocky last season... I mean, really, what has he done lately? I was never a huge fan, but he was ok the first season, and the second season his ego took on a life of its own.

Also looking forward to BB8!! I hate that high school bully idea, and think it would make for bad bad tv. Hope it is not true...

Anonymous said...

I was looking forward to "Rock Star" this summer also. I watched both seasons and loved the change of music from AI.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Rock Star, wasn't Toby Rand and his group Juke Kartel supposed to release an album? I loved him on the show. Hope he didn't fade into oblivion like "supernova"

DriedPapercutsAndChickens said...

Pirate Master has too many rules, it makes it hard to follow...I enjoy the excursions and such but it is alot to follow in a one hour format