Saturday, June 16, 2007

TV Newsy Bits - Saturday, June 16, 2007

Jackie's TV Newsy BitsWasn't last night one of the more lackluster evenings in television history? Yes, there was the Daytime Emmy Award Show, or you could "attend" National Bingo Night. But neither of those rocked my socks. I ended up watching some odd show about the hippie era on the History Channel while reading a book.

Well, there was also the Subway Series game between the Yankees and the Mets. I had to share my train ride home from work with raucous fans. But the Mets won and broke the Yankees winning streak! Eek! I'm glad I didn't watch that!

Here's what I found out there on the web for this edition of TV Newsy Bits:
  • Although I'm posting this a bit after the fact, the prison escapee who had plotted to kidnap David Letterman's son Harry is once again back behind bars. Good.
  • Marcellas Reynolds from Big Brother has announced that he won't be co-hosting the Internet show Housecalls this year. In his forum, he cites his ever-busy career as one of the reasons. Um. Okay. He also mentions budget cuts and a format change. I previously posted on the blog that I saw Gretchen Massey's name, but no Marcellas. There is no Marcellas. It's a bit of a shame because he asked the questions fans wanted to ask and really understands the whole thing better than Gretchen.
  • A commenter asked in a previous about the ad mentioning that The Black Donnellys were returning. From my understanding, it will be the rest of the season that had already been filmed. NBC yanked the show after showing a handful of episodes. It's some HD channel which is airing it. I don't get the channel, so I've lost my Donnellys.
  • American Idol season one winner Kelly Clarkson has canceled her scheduled concert tour. She recently fired her manager and poor ticket sales were listed amongst other reasons for the decision.
  • Director Wes Craven will be the guest judge on On the Lot next week (June 19). Ohhh... I wonder if they'll have to make scary movies!
  • MSNBC has an intriguing article about reality television mogul Mark Burnett's hits and misses. In the article Burnett mentions that the 10 PM Sunday night time slot played a role in the demise of The Apprentice. I beg to differ. I think the change to L.A., the rich/poor gimmick, and the change away from George and Caroline to the TrumpKids had more to do with it. The time slot change was perhaps the final nail in the coffin to put the show out of its misery.
  • The Fans of Reality TV forum has an interview with ousted from Hell's Kitchen little dude Eddie Langley. Eddie says that if he hadn't gone home he would have won. Okaaay...

That's it for now. When does Big Brother 8 start again? Where are we on our countdown? I need my live feeds for the down times of summer television!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did u watch Animal Precinct, Jackie? What a cute little kitten, Disco!!! Not a cat fan, but she melted my heart.

B Donnelly's, darn, the cable companies just want more and more $$$ from us. Airing things on channels we do not get, like ShoToo. I pay enough each month, will not pay more.

Daytime emmy's were snoozeville. Tried to watch but yawn. Taped Ice Princess on Disney, a lead character was the cheerleader on Hero's. So they do not pop-into these shows out of no-where.

Just looked thru tonight's offerings another wasteland, unless you want to watch a movie seen over and over. Bring on BB!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG NOOOOOO please say it is not so....

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Bob Barker endorsed his friend Rosie O'Donnell as a possible successor on "The Price Is Right," although the newly retired host isn't sure CBS wants a woman to take over the game show.

Deanna said...

You hit the nail on the head about the apprentice Jackie. I enjoyed Caroline & George and their insight on each boardroom. I think they should drop Trump and hire George and Caroline to run the show. Also, go back to NY and drop the whole (haves & haves not) theme.

Deanna said...

Oh Wow! I would love to have Rosie host TPIR!

Sydney said...

Hi Jackie -

Wow, I'm relieved to hear that the Letterman guy got caught. I didn't hear about that.

I totally agree with your assessment of Marcellas, and I am wondering what the "real" reason may be that he's not back. For Marcellas to say his career is too busy... well, heck, maybe he has spun this into more styling work or is doing some kind of red carpet hosting or style show for a cable station But if they didn't ask him back, or he asked for more $$ and they didn't want to give it etc... I think they are hurting themselves for just the reason you mentioned. Probably only a Janelle or Will could be a better replacement.

OY Delee -- I have a connection at Price is Right and will ask for the scoop on that one! Don't think she'd want to do that gig anyway, and it's taped in LA so I think we can for sure say it isn't so.

Sydney said...

oh, and I totally agree with you (and Deanna) about the Apprentice. 100% accurate. I think we need you to be the one writing more of these articles!!!

dla said...

Hi everyone! Happy Saturday!!

Hallelujah regarding The Apprentice! I totally agree that the time slot may have been one of the final nails in the coffin, but it certainly was not a defining factor!

If we were to listen to THE DONALD, it has been the NUMBER ONE SHOW ON TELEVISION since the first season... We all know that is not true! ;)

The move to LA was horrible, the tent city should have been illegal, and Mini Trump and Trumpette were a snooze.

I hope Marcellas has found something to keep him busy, but it may be more about saving face than actually having much going on.

We sure need a good group of Houseguests this year!!! It would be devastating to have BB turn out to be a snooze. Last year's All Stars didn't exactly rock...

Deanna said...

I read Rosie's blog daily and she is dying to host TPIR. She comments on a daily basis about wanting it and she posted today about an upcoming meeting w/ TPIR people. She says she wouldn't want to see people lose though and would offer consolation prizes and gifts to the audience. She is very charitable and loves giving to others. Im so stoked about her possibly being the host. I'd love to see her do a Bill Maher type of show too. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree the Daytime Emmy's were a waste of time. For some reason,my show never gets any nods,but then,it has been in kind of a slump lately. But Stefano is back on DOOL and things are heating up.There are good actors on other soaps but it's always the same old ones that get nominated. What a bore! And what was Genie Francis on for,about 5 seconds? That was just a pity vote.

Wouldn't matter to me if The Apprentice was on or not. Haven't watched that since the second season. I'd even turn off the promos for it...lol.

I'm sad that Marcellas is gone from the show and agree with Jackie that he was the better of the two. And I'm with you,dla,hope we get a good group this time,not like Cappy and the sheep...yikes!

Brent McKee said...

It doesn't surprise me that CBS is going with a single host on the Housecalls Internet show. It wasn't commented on at the time but the Amazing Race Internet show "The Finish Line" also dumped Jon the clown (from season 4) and went the single host route.

Anonymous said...

Sharon I watch Days also. Stefano-Tony just do not die!!! Just when you think they are gone for good (years) they pop right back. I also watch GL and ATWT and they had many nominees but few wins.

Anonymous said...

Deanna you and I may be the only Rosie fans here (don't you miss JaHeRo?). She was always so great on her old show playing games and giving out prizes to the audience so I think she would be great on TPIR. But I would be super surprised if she got the gig because it would be soooo unconventional to have not only a female game show host but a gay woman with actual opinions. I just don't see TPIR rising to that level. I'm holding out hope for a Bill Maher type show also. Something with her, Phil Donahue and Whoopie would be seriously cool.

I just got back from a BBQ and the only thing on TV is a dog show so I guess I watch The Starter wife I taped Thursday.

Deanna said...

Lili, I do miss JaHeRo!! :( They were great! I wish I could get one of their shirts...lol! I dont think Rosie will get TPIR, but I do have my fingers crossed. I'm just hoping she has something in the near future because I enjoy her sweetness,her caring nature and the way she speaks her mind about issues she feels strongly about.

In the meantime, I read her blog and watch her videos.She is such a neat lady. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm also a Rosie fan. Im not so sure TPIR is the right show for her, but I'd watch it if she were to do it. I think she's at her best in the talk show format and hope that that is what will be developed for her. I LOVE that she says what she wants and what she feels. Her honesty is so refreshing., especially when it pertains to the crap coming out of the White House.

Deanna said...

Amen to that Joy! I love that Rosie doesn't fear what people will think and speaks freely...I find myself agreeing to just about everything she says. Nice to know there are others who like her and what she says. :)

Caroline said...

Ugh, Rosie hosting TPIR would be the worst thing that could happen to that show. She can't go 5 mins without being offensive towards other celebrities or spewing political commentary out both ends. She'd ruin the light hearted game show atmosphere by trying to shove her agenda down everyone's throats. She's not content to just express her opinion, she always then tries to bully everyone else into seeing things her way. My vote is for Ricki Lake. She did an amazing job hosting the CBS game show special last summer.