Sunday, June 23, 2013

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - June 23, 2013

Good Sunday morning to you! Me? I overslept today. It felt good, so I'm not too upset about it. However, it makes this post a bit later than usual. What's this post? Well, it's my weekly off television topic reflection on the week gone by in both words and photographs I've taken along the way.

For the television fans -- make sure you check out my hamster introduction post. I plan on checking out the videos today and will probably post more on the upcoming Big Brother 15.

I spent the early part of the week getting caught in downpours on my way home from work. Yes, just as I was leaving, we'd get thunderstorms and torrential rain. Grr. One day, one of my co-workers was kind enough to tell me -- "Oh, they've put up a tornado watch. There's rotation in the cloud." Thanks, like I needed that news as I was heading out into it! No, there was no tornado. I just got soaked despite my umbrella.

Thankfully, by midweek, we actually got in some days with no rain whatsoever. That's been very rare the last month or so. I just know that come August we'll be worried about drought and the lack of rain! That's how things seem to go. I'll put up with it as long as I don't have to deal with another storm like Sandy again. I just ask that the timing be a tad better -- for four days in a row, it started to storm right as I was leaving work. Y'know, Mother Nature, overnight rain would work out much better for me. Thank you in advance!

There isn't much else to report on this week. I worked. I ate. I slept some. I got stuck under a cat for long periods of time. So, we may as well go onto the photos for the week ...

Tiger Lily 2 photo IMG_8133a_zpsb94b9bc3.jpg
Tiger Lily

Last week I saw these had bloomed just a half-mile away from my 'hood, but hadn't come to life here yet. This week, they're going wild and I love it! Berckman Street, Plainfield.

Clover photo IMG_8161a_zpsc1d83c99.jpg
Weed or nature being creative?

Even in its most common efforts, I find nature so intricate and stunning!

**CLICK THE 'READ MORE' LINK TO SEE THE REST OF THE PHOTOS**



Snail photo IMG_8166a_zps0e77408d.jpg
What? A snail?

This was on the overpass by the Bridgewater Train Station. Now, I've never seen a snail in New Jersey. I thought someone put it there. Yet, when I picked it up, it was stuck a bit to the surface and there appeared to be a dehydrated snail within. Huh. Then, two days later, I found a smaller one, also dead, about 50 yards away.

Chicory photo IMG_8223a_zpsabeca822.jpg
Chicory blossom

Until they mow the grounds at the Plainfield Train Station, the chicory is in bloom. On my early days, these blossoms are all closed up. I took this later on Saturday morning.

Cool car photo IMG_8219a_zps5a4e584a.jpg
Way cool car

I spotted this way cool old Plymouth, probably in better condition than when it was fairly new, at the gas station. Church and East Second Streets in Plainfield.

Berries photo IMG_8217a_zps8c11ba1a.jpg
Blackberries

These grow every year at the Bridgewater Train Station. I don't trust them anyway. I'll buy blackberries or go where they're deliberately grown for consumption.

Mockingbird photo IMG_8205a_zps24cb0322.jpg
The gatekeeper

I can't see a mockingbird without singing in my mind. Bridgewater Train Station.

Dove photo IMG_8193a_zpsffcda3e2.jpg
Young mourning dove

One of the new babies this year at the Bridgewater Train Station. Note the tummy is still all downy!

Weeds with bug photo IMG_8171a_zps96040a8a.jpg
Eek! A bug!

I didn't realize when I stooped down to shoot this pretty bit of yellow that there was a bug looking back at me!

Weedz photo IMG_8162a_zps83634a46.jpg
Ah, pretty little wildflowers

Berries photo IMG_8160a_zpsa301e97a.jpg
Don't eat them!

But they do make for pretty color! Bridgewater Train Station.

Poison Ivy photo IMG_8158a_zps591549ad.jpg
A wall of poison ivy

The poison ivy at the Bridgewater Train Station has gone amok! It's thriving on all the rain we've had. This is actually a chain link fence. Yes. Yes, it is.

Stinkhorn photo IMG_8157a_zps0c14cf1f.jpg
Stinkhorn mushroom

My first sightings of these mushrooms so far this year. I never saw any while growing up as no one (or few) used wood chip mulch back then. While some insects are attracted to them, I usually see flesh flies (the ones who feed on carrion) on them. As you can see, the top is sticky. Not only is it sticky, but it's smelly, too. Similar to a skunk's defense, the smell keeps animals from chowing down on the stinkhorn.

Bee 2 photo IMG_8150a_zps672bf759.jpg
Busy bee

Gotta get the pollen, gotta get the pollen. East Front Street, Plainfield.

Bee 1 photo IMG_8139a_zps33924b49.jpg
Work, work, work

He was so busy going from blossom to blossom that I couldn't get many good shots of him.

Weed photo IMG_8138a_zps488d57ad.jpg
Passing, yet still neat

Yes, its glory days are gone. Yet it still makes for interesting photo fodder. Bridgewater, NJ.

Purple flower photo IMG_8137a_zpsf869ad99.jpg
'tis purple!

These purple flowers are growing amongst a patch of tiger lilies on Berckman Street in Plainfield.

Tiger Lily 1 photo IMG_8132a_zps14efe30c.jpg
Glorious tiger lily

These came to life everywhere around here this week. Berckman Street, Plainfield.

Vincent photo IMGP8150_zpsda4dc8c5.jpg
Strangers on a train

I realized that I didn't take any shots of Vincent this week as I was getting the photos together. So, I decided to give you some vintage Vincent. This is Vincent on the NJ Transit train heading home the day I adopted him in Manhattan (NYC, not Kansas). I knew he was a special cat that very first day. 9/12/09

3 comments:

RSchnoop said...

I think that the blackberries picture you posted are actually blackcaps, more a wild black raspberry than a blackberry. Not absolutely sure, but if so, there was a bush of them growing wild on the Northeast corner of the Grandparents' garden out in West Stephentown and a tasty memory of my much younger days.

lynn1 said...

Jackie, great Photos this week. your photo of the the Stinkhorn made me laugh because to my eye it looks like it is wearing a tiny Fez!

Sally said...

What lovely photos this week! Your keen photographic eye and appreciation for nature are a great combination.

Those lilies probably are orange daylilies instead of tiger lilies. Tiger lilies have brown spots and the blossoms face down.

The vintage photo of Vincent is neat. He's on his way to a grand new life, where his best friend won't mind when she's stuck under him.