Sunday, October 08, 2006

'The Amazing Race 10' - Ep. 4 -or- "Up, Over, Under and Around in Circles"

Eight teams remain. Who will be eliminated next?

Once again, they switched the introduction to the show. They should be due for a non-elimination leg soon - I'm thinking next week. When the show started off with the word "next" in lieu of "tonight," I thought it may be this show, but it was indeed a Philimination leg.

And, I have the lowdown.

Health concerns continue to plague some of the teams as we head into the fourth leg. Mary's sprained ankle is still a problem and we learned that Rob collapsed due to heat dehydration. He was treated and deemed fit to continue racing. Since he's one of my own personal least favorites, I wouldn't have minded if they told him, "No! Stop racing! Rest for three days!" Ah, but that wasn't the case.

As the teams took off from the last Pit Stop, a rice paddy in Vietnam, I noticed that the gap betwixt first and last place had narrowed in comparison to last week's start. The first team (ChoBros) left at 10:55 PM and the last team (TnT) left at 11:48 - not even an hour apart.

The teams had to take a taxi to Hanoi, then collect 588 Vietnamese Dong. That's the currency in Vietnam; 1 Vietnamese Dong = 0.00006458 US Dollar, so it's not a heck of a lot of money, eh? They then had to travel to a park where an auditory clue, in addition to crickets, started a fiasco of mixed-up directions and a Kimberly/Robert rude cab blow-out. The clue itself was hard to understand in either language - English or Vietnamese. Some teams wrote it phonetically; other teams asked their cabbies to listen.

Some just disrespected their cabbies. Yes, I'm talking about Rob. I don't know why someone would expect a cab driver in Vietnam to understand English and, even when the cabbie doesn't speak the language, he sure can understand tone. Give me Mary and David, with Mary hugging the taxi driver and telling him she loved him instead.
Karlyn is a long way from home
After all the clue confusion and cab-clamoring, all the teams ended up on the same bus headed to Ha Long Bay. There they faced a Roadblock, a task only one member of the team must perform. This particular Roadblock had them using mechanical ascenders to scale the side of a cliff. It was a 90' ascension directly up and used both arm and leg strength.

And, this is where I get surly. Peter, of Peter/Sarah fame, takes the easy Roadblocks and lets Sarah, who has a prosthetic leg, perform the hard ones. (Dump him, Sarah!) Yes, I know editing plays a part, but if Peter hadn't made yet another remark in the line of his "disability card" utterances and then sat smugly drinking a cold beverage as Sarah struggled...! His line this time was "Pull the handicapped placard out and get in the front of the line" as only three ascenders were available at a time. This guy needs some serious dumping by Sarah, seriously. Watching Sarah climb the cliff, I think I had more concern than he did.
Sarah won't give up!
As Godwin Cho prepared to go up, he declared he was leaving all of his possessions to his brother. And, it was neat to watch Karlyn go up the cliff struggling, yet busting with pride at her accomplishment. It could have been editing, but it looked like every other team member remaining at the bottom cheered their mates on while Peter relaxed.

The teams had to find their next clue in an absolutely stunning cave - Sung Cot Cave. It reminded me of visiting Carlsbad Caverns. There wasn't too much excitement at hand in the cave as the teams basically just had to find their clues to their next destination, which happened to be a Detour. A Detour is a choice between two tasks, each with a local touch, performed by both members of the team. Peter relaxes with a beverage as Sarah struggles up the cliffside.

The choices this leg were Over or Under. In Over, the teams had to take a boat called a junk, then row a smaller boat called a sandpan - sort of a wide and flat rowboat to pick up and deliver goods to two destinations in a floating village. In Under, teams took a junk, then rowed a sandpan to a location where oyster baskets were marked by buoys. They had to harvest and deliver 30 baskets of oysters.

All of the teams had trouble manuevering their sandpans and I don't think I've heard that much fussing and fretting on one task in ages. Tears, whining, arguing, and then some more tears. Peter fussed that he wanted to give up and I thought I saw contempt in Sarah's eyes. (Dump him, Sarah!) Mary and David snapped at each other and she gave him a "you're not the boss of me" comeback. Remember, at the beginning of the season, she claimed that where they're from, the man is the boss. I don't think so! Most of the teams went for Under, but Lyn and Karlyn succeeded at Over. All of the teams found out that rowing a sandpan in high winds isn't like rowing a canoe.
Merrily, merrily, merrily... Much to my dismay, Rob and Kimberly finished the task first and hit the mat at the Pit Stop at Soi Sim Island first. I don't like their bickering. Phil commented on it, too. "Are you being nice to each other?" Yeah, sure they are! As the first place winners of the leg, they each won a jet ski. That's better than the one home entertainment center that Godwin and Erwin won last week, but it's no trip for two... which may be a good thing in the light of their relationship or lack thereof.



This is the order at the Pit Stop:

  1. Rob/Kimberly
  2. Peter/Sarah
  3. Tyler/James
  4. Erwin/Godwin
  5. David/Mary
  6. Lyn/Karlyn
  7. Dustin/Kandice
  8. Tom/Terry (TnT) - last and Philiminated.

In a bit towards the end of the show, Sarah told Peter she didn'Floating village in Vietnamt appreciate him saying he was going to give up when she had worked so hard to climb the cliff. He sat there and said nothing. In a confessional she held without him, she seems to realize he's not the dream love she thought he was. Dump him, Sarah!

Supposedly, this race is one of the most extensive ever. Why are they still in Vietnam? I'm finding it a beautiful and exotic country, but they've traveled hardly at all the last two legs.

Mary is proving to be my must-watch racer each week. Between her funny lines and her reaction to wondrous places and peoples, she's fun to watch. Yes, she fussed some about her sprained ankle, but I could see her forging on with a cast if she had to do so. She may be one of the more "country bumpkin" types than we've seen on the show before, but she's definitely an ambassador of good will with the natives.
The Philiminator

I'm still cheering on the ChoBros for the win, but David and Mary would certainly make for a very different finale. I like Sarah, but not Peter. I'm not too thrilled with either Kimberly or Rob, and the pretty teams (Dustin/Kandice, Tyler/James) aren't striking me much at all, nor did TnT. I wouldn't mind seeing Karlyn and Lyn hang in there. I think they're pretty amazed at what they've done and I bet their children are thrilled, too.

Just get out of Vietnam and stop all the crying, teams!

Oh.

And, dump him, Sarah!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am in agreement with Jackie except for one thing. I don't think Sarah should dump Peter. She should take the leg with the big foot attached and kick him in the a--. HARD!

Anonymous said...

While Sarah was struggling up the side of the cliff, Peter offered half-hearted "encouragement" while drinking a soda and relaxing. Yet when he finally had to do some work, like trying to row a boat, and Sarah tried to offer some genuine encouragement he dismissed it saying "I don't need/want encouragement." He basically told her to shut up. What a jerk. See Sarah run.

Anonymous said...

More on Sarah and Peter... Sarah has been the one to scale two cliff's. What has Peter done to date. Nothing that I can recall except belittle Sarah.

I really hope that Rob and whatshername (can't remember her name)go soon. Arguing is one thing...I expect them to come to blows at any time.

Still love the Cho bros and have always, from the get go, liked Mary and David. In her neighborhood men are the boss??? Well maybe for her neighbors. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, you could not have written the Ep 4 result better! I think they are still in that area of the world to increase tourism. U think no? There are many shows on today going there, Food Network, Travel Channel, etc...I believe a lot of people think Vietnam is off limits, so being there tells us GO. Trouble is after N Korea's test last night not sure how close I would want to get to that region!

I love Mary's outlook, for a backwoods girl, she has a true pioneer spirit and the girt to power thru. After being embarassed in past/this season, by the typical rude-ugly American behavior, Mary is a true ambassador of our country. Wonder if anything will truly rattle her to blow her top.

Sarah, what are you thinking girl? Sure you have arm strenght, but let that freeloader prove to you that he is a real MAN! We wish! @@
So far, Peter has: eaten fish eyes, sold flowers, shot an arrow, tried to charge a fee to "SEE SARAH RUN" (@@), and left the hynik run away 2x. While she scales the Great Wall and a 90 foot cliff! Wonder what she will have to do next??? If there is a bungee jump, I think he will have to do it (?), hope he has a major fear of heights. LOL

Anonymous said...

While I was sitting, nestled under the blanket, on my couch at home, notably NOT in Vietnam I had a thought about Sarah and Peter. Maybe she agreed to do the race to prove to herself that she can do these physically challenging tasks just like everyone else. Here is the conversation:
Peter: Let's go on TAR
Sarah: No, I couldn't do all that physical stuff
Peter: Sure you can, Sarah, you're strong
Sarah: You're right, Peter, I am strong. Hey, let me do all the hard ones....to prove I can do it.
Peter: No, Sarah, I can't let you do them all.
Sarah: Yes, it will prove that I have the moxie it takes...
Peter: O.K, Sarah, it's a deal
* they shake hands *
Of course, I had worked myself up to believing that they must have aggreed to something like this, otherwise why is he sitting smugly on the sidelines....never offering to do the hard tasks. THEN, he had to row the junk and try to retrieve the oysters an whined the WHOLE time. Sarah, dump Peter, run fast....far away.

tbc

Anonymous said...

Oh, gotta love the picture of the sandpan thingy with the caption "this sucks so bad" underneath. LOL.

tbc

Anonymous said...

Jackie.......thanks for the picture of PHIL........like that guy so much! And thanks for the recap,it was spot on,as usual.

How hard must this be for SARAH to see this "relationship" fall apart in front of everyone. PETEROUT is so mean and dismissive of her at every turn. Did you see her look at him beggingly when the rock scaling came up and then have to say,resignedly,"I guess I'm doing it". What an A$$!! Bet he's making his Momma soooo proud.

MARY is a hoot,and if,once,she was subserviant to her hubby,those days seem far behind her now. Good for her. Hope her ankle gets better and they can really race.The Cho brothers are doing okay,but would love to see them really get out front and stay there.Now real sorry to see T&T go,but,as most of you,there are teams would rather see go.

Anonymous said...

TBC love your dialogue with Peter (prothetist) and Sarah...but they are Ironman competitors..so both should be up to the task...but only Sarah does the hard things. Peter has contracts with the military to work with servicemen, who have lost a limb...so I am thinking he lets Sarah do these things to further his business. Shame Shame Shame!!!! @@ Per..run in front of the bystanders and charge a fee. Open a new market for his services!!! @@ Jackie sorry about eye rolls, but what is a girl to do! IMAO Must not be the best because her leg only lasted till the 2nd episode, before problems and he can not fix it. Excuse me!

Anonymous said...

I think Peter is a wussy and only likes Sarah for, well, ya know...because it seems like he's insensitive to her condition (yeah, she's done triathalons right? SO? Climb a cliff once and a while too Peter!) and he makes ME uncomfortable with his "disability" comments. She's great and doesn't let her condition stop her, but give a girl a break! It's almost like he secretly resents it.

I liked TnT and was sad to see them go...Rob and as Meb said "whatshername" needed to go, although fighting makes for good tv...it hasn't got scary yet like The Former Playmate and her a-- of a hubby. Either one of the pretty teams need to go...I don't care, why are you crying, are you wearing makeup?

I'm enjoying this season much more than I enjoyed that horrid "family" AR and I hope they never do that again. Keep it at pairs AR...Go ChoBros! and please, Vietnam is more beautiful than I expected, but it's time to move on.

Brent McKee said...

To be fair (fairer than he's been) Peter also had to climb the Great Wall (it wasn't a Roadblock) and he did so without grumbling. Sure it was just the one time...

Oh and Sarah should kick Peter with the racing foot, you know the one that could get stuck up his butt.

Anonymous said...

Hi all. Petals: Mary did say something to the effect in the first episode that where she comes from the men are the boss and the women just stay at home and look after their man (something like that. I think that's why people are looking at her as "backwoodsy" (is that a word). Anyway, I don't think anyone means to be condescending since most comments re Mary and David are positive.

I'm enjoying this TAR as well. I haven't made my mind up about the "mothers". They have a tendency to make negative comments a lot about the others. But then they accomplish an insurmountable task so you have to admire them for that. Not sure I could be doing any of these challenges.

Anonymous said...

Petals
I lived in Montgomery AL for 12 years..so no offense was meant. My first name is Dixie Lee, so go figure as my family has been in PA since late 1700's. I too picked up some accent and that does not make us other than what we are. When peeps down there heard my name they got excited till I talked (yankee accent), so it works both ways.

Anonymous said...

I like Mary and David...they have accomplished so much. I love their enthusiasm and just plain enjoyment of the time through the Race. She has a sprained ankle and hardly complains. I seriously don't like the billing they have: Coalminer and Wife. It implies the "backwoodsy" persona. My mother is from South Carolina originally, and sometimes her accent comes through. I am a native New Yorker and don't speak like one because her accent always influenced mine. When I visit my southern relatives, I usually end up with a drawl along the way. My husband was shocked the first time he heard it, but has grown accostumed to hearing it when we travel there.

On the Amazing Race Family addition, they went to the Battery in Charleston for one of their clues. We were in Charleston when that particular episode aired last year and my kids were thrilled. We visit the Battery and sit on the cannons every year!! LOL.

The only couples I don't care for are the Beauty Queens and Rob/Kimberly. Rob and Kimberly treat each other so poorly...I guess they deserve each other. The Beauty Queens...just bother me. I can't put my finger on it. I am amazed at the single mothers for their accomplishments but don't care for their snarky remarks sometimes.

tbc

Anonymous said...

Just popping in for a short post to let you know I am reading the blog even though I never seem to have time to reply much. I can't live without it. LOL!

Excellent recap, Jackie. I'm right with you and most of the posters' opinions. Sure hope Sarah reads the internet and heeds our advice. Same goes for Kimberly. I suppose a race like this brings out the best and worst of personalities and that's not always a bad thing. It was an eye opener for Donny (wasn't that his name?) and caused the break up with Alison. LOL!

I'm enjoying all the posters comments and Jackie's great screen caps. I can now picture Jackie with her notebook, leg perched up taking pics of the TV...amazing.
We love Jackie's blog!!!!!!

Zoetawny~
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Petals -- Hi there! Just so ya know, Mary has made comments about where she comes from. I don't remember her actually using "backwoods" or "bumpkin" but she knows she's led a sheltered life and is THRILLED to be doing what she's doing. I didn't take any of the comments about her as negative and I get the feeling that she wouldn't either. She likes to laugh at herself.

Not to bash on Sarah, but the climb she did didn't even involve her prosthetic leg. In order to climb with that mechanical ascender, you put one foot into a sling and use your arms to pull up while pushing with the one leg. She didn't have any disadvantage over the other teams. As a matter of fact, she probably had an advantage because she's in better shape and has more upper body strength than some of the other competitors.

Sorry, but I don't like her much more than her partner. I think she does a lot of complaining and she lets Peter treat her badly. People will treat you the way you allow them to treat you. While we're telling her to kick him to the curb, we need to tell her that too!

Anonymous said...

Petals;
Regarding your comments about Peter hooking up with Sarah just to get airtime,absolutely!My dh, and my best friend both agree.He probably thought how can CBS reject me I'm her doctor,she's handicapped and we're in a "love story"gag
It's funny how much our vision has changed of them(specifically Peter)in the first episode dh thought oh what a supportive guy...now dh thinks he's a serial killer LOL

Anonymous said...

what do you mean about the intro of the show? what did they say about "next" instead of "tonight"?

Anonymous said...

Some more thoughts on MARY/DAVID....they are what they are,two people who have never been much outside their small community in a coal mining town in KY. For most who work the mines,it is a hard,not so good paying job. And I have to tell you that I admire these people,they are right up there with police,firemen and others that have dangerous jobs. These women are used to hard times,lay offs and the danger down in the mines. I take my hat off to these two,they are doing so well at things that are so foreign to their life style.And the part of Appalachia they come from doesn't always afford the best education or opportunities,but they seem like hard working,good hearted folks to me and I sure wish they could win this race. Don't think they will,but they deserve it more than the "REHAB" boys,the BEAUTIES or the BICKERSONS and most of all......SARAH/JERKBOY!!! But life isn't always that fair,but hope they treasure all the things they get to experience and glad I got to meet them and watch them do and see new things. GO MARY/DAVID..as far as you can!!!

Anonymous said...

Petals, yep, I agree. I said so a couple of weeks back that Peter was just going on this show with Sarah to further his career or whatever he wants to further. LOL.

tbc

pisgahscience said...

OrkMom...

I agree...I don't care for either Sara or Peter.

I still haven't made up my mind as to who I want to win.

However, I have agreed with all of the philiminations so far.

I haven't like any team that's been last so far.

pisgahscience said...

Oh yeah, I'm from Mississippi. So Mary sounds like most of the people I know....I'm cool with it.

I like them also....

Sydney said...

Sharon and Lyss -- Well said! I agree.

Anonymous said...

Hey Anybody -- your screen name works here cuz Janelle isn't on The Amazing Race :)

There's no way she can win!!

pisgahscience said...

OrkMommy

Yeah, there is no way she can win legally, but I bet they'll have some "America's Choice" who SHOULD have been on Amazing Race and She'll OF COURSE win and they'll give her another gazillion dollars to keep America watching...