Wednesday, March 07, 2007

'American Idol 6' - Eight Gals Take the Stage

American IdolI have a confession to make. I've watched every season of American Idol, but I've yet to buy any music by any of the contestants. Oh, I've had my favorites and I've even liked some of the songs they went on to sing after success on the show. But none enough to actually lay down the bucks.

Until now. I would love to buy Melinda Doolittle's version of "My Funny Valentine" and the song she sang tonight. Get it done, America. This woman must make a record!

Jordin Sparks started out the night telling her little "secret" that she wanted to be a football player for a while and is a wild football fan. Then she belted out Pat
Jordin Sparks Benetar's "Heartbreaker" putting all of the guys to shame... and she's the same age as Sanjaya.

She's not my favorite in the competition. But, for a teenager, she's got a powerful voice and will only improve as she gets older. The judges thought along the same lines with Randy calling her energetic. Simon said she was a bit manic and shrieky, but 100% she will make the cut.


Sabrina Sloan's little secret was that for years she wanted to be the "next Katie Couric." The clips were funny. It's a good thing she switched to singing. She sang En Vogue's "Don't Let Go." I think that if not for Lakisha and Melinda, it would be a competition between Sabrina and Stephanie. A solid voice, a good stage presence, but Simon called the "robotic" bit right. I think that can be addressed, though. This wasn't my favorite performance of hers, but she's light-years ahead of the guys. Randy and Paula gave favorable comments.

Then there was Antonella Barba. Someone remind me why she's there again? Please? She sang Corinne Bailey Rae's "Put Your Records On." I didn't care much for the song or her performance of it. The judges were far kinder than I. Apparently the buzz about her naughty photos is known as Simon made a reference to "rough week" and "talk about her." I don't care. Make her go away. Oh, I almost forgot her thing we didn't know about her. She plays violin and teaches it, too. Go back to that, just get off the show... please.

Haley Scarnato was an active gymnast until injuries sidelined her. She sang Melissa Manchester's "If My Heart Had Wings." Technically, I thought she did okay. I wish she'd stop that silly bouncing as she sings. Randy declared it just okay, no pizzazz, no yo. Paula reverted to one of her "you're pretty" comments. Simon asked who she was. He also said it was horrible. I don't think it was as bad as Antonella's performance, but I think she bought her ticket home tonight.

Stephanie Edwards said that while she loved to sing at home, she was shy and would cry as a child when asked to sing for others. I found that interesting as I think she's one of the ones with a very professional stage presence about her. She sang Chaka Khan's "Sweet Thing." (Chaka Khan, Chaka Khan... had to do it.) I thought she was very good. Paula danced, Randy yo'd. Paula thought it was darn near flawless although Randy thought less of it and said it was a valiant effort. Simon called it one of the best but noted the "copycat" factor.

Lakisha Jones is terrified of animals, all animals. Yikes. But she sure can sing,
Lakisha Jonesso I don't mind. I've mentioned that Whitney Houston isn't a favorite of mine. So, what does Lakisha do? She sings a Whitney song, "I Have Nothing." She sang it very well, very powerfully. But it wasn't my favorite performance of hers.

Randy said it wasn't her best, but it was great. Paula thought she was working on being the next American Idol. Simon said she brought passion, talent, and believability. He also
mentioned she looked very pretty tonight. I think Simon was right on all counts.

Gina Glocksen was up next telling about her lucky charms - a mini-troll, stuffed pickle, and a pillow. She sang "Call Me When You're Sober" by Evanescence. I don't care for the song, but it's perfect for her style. I thought she did well with it and it seemed more true to her own roots. I noticed the arm tattoos are still missing, though. Randy, Paula, and Simon were thrilled that she's "back."

We found out that Melinda Doolittle has a bit of an OCD thing going. To me, it was symmetry-related, but she said it was equality. If she touches something
Melinda Doolittle cold with one hand, she must do it with another and so on. Odd, but I love her anyway.

She sang Peggy Lee's "I'm a Woman." Wow. Like I mentioned at the start of this... if she were to release a CD with this song, the one from last week, the many more she'll sing before she wins... I'd buy it. And, that would be a first for me with any contestant from the show.
The judges were ecstatic. So am I.

Who will leave us tomorrow? I'm thinking it should be Antonella and Haley. If Antonella stays, it's due to something other than her singing. What do you think?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallalujah. Amen. I agree on all counts!!!

Top 3 singers this season IMHO are Lakisha, Melinda, and Stephanie. I go back and forth on whether I believe Melinda or Lakisha will win the whole shebang!

Antonella and Hailey:

Bye, bye, bye!!!

If they don't go, there is something crazy wrong.

Thanks for the terrific recap, Jackie! Flawless, as always!

dla

Sydney said...

Well, I finally watched most of this tonight, just because you are writing about it (Though I did go back and forth to American's Top Model too).

I was blown away by Melinda, and loved that Simon called her a tiger! I thought she was better than Lakisha and til now I thought she was the top singer to beat. We shall see.

Paula seemed quite sober and mature tonight, careful in her comments. I really liked her better than the other choices, that she's sobbing and gushing or ornery and fighting with Simon, even though people might say this is the least entertaining. To me it was a relief.

So is Yo the new replacement Randyism for DAWG? It's time for a change, albeit a lateral one... lol.

Anonymous said...

gina does not have arm tatoos that was a shirt she was wearing the first time you saw her ''arm tatoos" just thought you might like to know

chris

Anonymous said...

I have a bad feeling about Antonella and Hailey getting through to the final 12. I live a few hours from San Antonio, Hailey's home town. We get their TV stations and almost every day they have something on the news about her with reminders to vote for her. I am sure New Jersey is doing the same for Antonella. All I can hope is that the 6 others girls cities are doing the same b/c it would be a shame for those 2 to get through with the other talent that is there. I guess as long as Melinda and Lakisha don't come home I can live with it but it would be wrong!!!

Anonymous said...

My top faves are Melinda, Lakisha and Jordin. I think Stephanie is kind of a run-of-the-mill singer. Like too many African-American female singers, she adds too many riffs, just about every other note. It,s irritating. The three mentioned above at least are showing a style of their own.

Anonymous said...

I love Melinda & Lakisha! Gina's in my top 3, but she just can't beat the other two. I also love that Gina did an Evanescence song. They're one of my favorite bands!

Sorry, but I just don't see the attraction to Sabrina. Maybe I need a new TV, but I swear she's screaming at me every single week! I don't find her attractive and to be honest, I had to look her name up to even put it in this comment. While Haley is way out of her league, I'd much rather see her next week than Sabrina.

Antonella go bye-bye NOW!!

Anonymous said...

Oh...I forgot...

Jackie, how could you not buy Chris Daughtry's album? He is by far the best contestant the show has ever had! :)