Monday, April 30, 2007

'Heroes' - "String Theory" - A BulletPoint Report

Heroes - NBC





Oh my gosh, I don't think I've ever experienced a show which keeps me as riveted to my seat as this one. I swear, you blink and you miss out on something crucial. Now, I wasn't invited to the big Spider-Man 3 premiere in the city tonight, but I think Heroes was probably more entertaining. And, but of course, who cares about the red carpet stuff, anyway?

Tonight's episode brought us five years into the future. Gulp. It's not a pretty world, not at all. Since the present Hiro and the future Hiro are both in the episode, I'll refer to them as Hiro and Future Hiro respectively. I guess we should also keep in mind that anything which happened in tonight's episode is subject to change if the past is changed.

Here's the skinny, not necessarily in the order shown on the show:
  • Hiro and Ando were in the future Isaac's studio after half of New York City was destroyed.
  • They were confronted by Future Hiro who insisted Hiro shouldn't be there.
  • "I scare me." -- One of the best lines of the night from Hiro.
  • As they look at the timeline on strings in the studio, both October 4 and "save the cheerleader" stand out.
  • Future Hiro thought Sylar had exploded and that Hiro had killed him the day the bomb exploded.
  • Hiro said he hadn't killed him.
  • HEROES - Peter Petrelli, Scar No Hair in His Face
  • Future Hiro told him that he had to go back and kill him the day after the election (Nathan).
  • Nathan Petrelli is President and has Parkman (mind-reading ex-cop) and the Haitian working as Homeland Security.
  • The government has decided that heroes (those with powers) are terrorists and must be rounded-up.
  • Parkman and the Haitian burst into Isaac's studio and capture Hiro, but Future Hiro and Ando escape.
  • Future Hiro said only Peter Petrelli is strong enough to fight the Haitian and they must find him.
  • Ando and Future Hiro went to a nightclub in Las Vegas where Peter's girlfriend works.
  • HEROES - Future Hiro
  • Oh? His girlfriend is Nikki, no Jessica about her. No DL, no Michah, either.
  • Peter's weird haircut is gone, but he bears a scar on his face which resembles the one on Omar in The Wire.
  • Peter's not interested until they mention stopping Sylar may change the world he sees now (five years in the future).
  • Nathan is pushing for gathering all the heroes and killing them, telling the nation it was an attempt to cure them, but failed. Extinction, he calls it.
  • His advisor, Suresh Mohinder, claims that would be genocide.
  • Nathan argued the powers are out of control -- he used the example of a kid who sucked all the oxygen out of his school classroom and killed all his fellow students.
  • When Mohinder reminded him that he (Nathan) has powers, Nathan said he could only fly. That's not dangerous to others.
  • Meanwhile, Mr. Bennet (Horn-Rimmed Glasses, HRG) has set up a service to help relocate heroes... sort of like witness protection.
  • When Future Hiro and Ando approach Bennet, he agrees to help them because they reminded him Hiro told Peter to "save the cheerleader, save the world."
  • Suresh and Parkman were checking out the timeline. Suresh said October 4 is the day he had his father's ashes and met Peter Petrelli. He realizes that Hiro wants to go back to change the future. Suresh determined that each string of the timeline is a person. One breaks in the past, it changes the future.
  • Parkman has turned into a real creep, in my opinion.
  • Claire, with brown hair, is now a waitress in a diner in Midland, Texas, going by the name of Sandra.
  • She's in love and plans to be married to a boy who doesn't know her past.
  • HRG shows up at the diner and urges her to leave.
  • Before she can (planning then to elope), Parkman shows up and takes her back to Mrs. Petrelli's house in NY.
  • Nathan meets her at the house. But he ISN'T Nathan! It's Sylar! He's killed Candace and taken on her morphing powers! Oh, no! Sylar is the President!
  • He went for Claire's brain, but we didn't see her die and, if she did, that could change if the past is changed.
  • In NY, Parkman was frustrated and beating Hiro because he wouldn't (couldn't) tell him anything from the past five years.
  • But... HRG ratted out Future Hiro and Ando in Las Vegas to Nathan! ACK. Apparently, he had an agreement to "give him the big ones."
  • HEROES - Present Hiro in the Future
  • Parkman realizes there are two Hiros and that Hiro is being truthful.
  • Nathan directs Suresh Mohinder to kill Hiro with an injection.
  • Peter Petrelli saved Future Hiro and Ando from Parkman and they escape.
  • Ando was saddened when Peter told him he died in the explosion. Future Hiro had refused to tell him.
  • Pete thinks that Hiro wants to save Ando when he goes back.
  • Suresh knows that if Sylar is killed five years ago, millions of lives would be saved.
  • Pete told Nikki he's going with them. He said he was the bomb and killed them all, not Sylar. He must help Hiro.
  • As Nathan is giving a five-year anniversary speech in NY, he announced a new treatment for the "terrorists" - one which will cure them. (Kill them.)
  • HEROES - Needle Held by Suresh Mohinder
  • The Haitian was assigned to help Mohinder give Hiro the shot to kill him. Mohinder pulled a fast one and gave the Haitian the shot instead so Hiro could escape.
  • Meanwhile, Future Hiro, Ando, and Peter were trying to rescue Hiro.
  • When Parkman radioed Nathan to tell him the Haitian was down, Nathan flew away... in front of the whole crowd and world attention.
  • Parkman shot Future Hiro in the back, stunning Hiro. "I'm dead."
  • Nathan morphed back into Sylar. He and Peter got into a super-fight in the hallway. Who will win? I dunno.
  • Hiro and Ando time-traveled back to NYC to save the world.
Episode overload alert, eh? I can't wait until next week! If I left something important out, let me know. I may have blinked.

5 comments:

Sydney said...

Wow -- there was so much going on the last two eps I could barely "string" them all together. Was cool to see the future though -- I kind of liked Peter P. as his future self -- kind of Neo-like.

But with all this plot coming at us so fast,and all these main characters getting killed off (though we never know in this world of super powers) it has me worried that they are going to try to wrap this all up in one season. Is it possible Jackie that they are not going to pick it up again? It's too popular not to ...right??? Sniff!

Anonymous said...

I love heroes. I find there is no time to use the restroom. If you miss a minute you miss the show. They have to pick it up again. It is way to popular. Even my 11 year old and his friends love it.

Arlene said...

Another awesome episode. I was sitting at the edge of my seat holding my breath watching everything that happened.

Sylar is the President of the US and he wants to kill all those with powers. I am surprised that he does not want to kill them and capture there powers. But since Sylar is close to Peter, doesn't Peter absorb all of Sylars powers too. So those two are practically industructable.

I love Hiro and Ando and the Future Hiro.

I will be so sadden when Heroes goes on hiatus. But I will be looking forward to the Fall Season.

Thanks Jackie for another great update.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an episode!! Just when I think they can't surprise me...! Thank you, Jackie, you capsulized it wonderfully! I wouldn't have known where to begin.
Great show.
~Susan from MA

Sydney said...

Jackie -- How did you and other New Yorkers like myself who lived there in fall of 2001 feel about the NY site where Nathan was giving his anniversary address. I surprised myself at how mad I got that they modeled the hole it so closely to the september 11 ceremonies we held there for the first 5 years after the towers went down. I lost my cousin there and so watched each year on CNN and NY1 as his only brother read his name in that very similar looking hole, with american flags all round, and listened to our president and the ex-mayor Guliani come back for their speeches at similar podiums. Even if I hadn't lost anyone, I was kind of offended... IMO they shouldn't have made it such a close resemblance. Am I the only one?