Sunday, October 14, 2007

TV Newsy Bits - Sunday, October 14, 2007

A man waiting on the train into Manhattan on an autumn day. Taken at the Plainfield, NJ train station.

In today's TV Newsy Bits:
  • Continuing to support my The Wire addiction without HBO, I've purchased seasons 1-3 on DVD and have my pre-order in for the fourth season which is expected to be released in December. Although I won't be seeing season five for a long, long time, I find it interesting that the theme song ("Way Down in the Hole" originally written by Tom Waits) for next season will be sung by Steve Earle who plays the recurring role of Waylon on the show. I've heard his version, but I like the 5 Blind Boys from Alabama (first season) and Tom Waits (second season) much better.
  • I watched the new show Life on NBC in a repeat last night. It kept my interest. I'll have to check it out in its regular time. I like that the networks are often putting repeats of shows aired earlier in the week on Saturday nights. Life didn't initially catch my eye when I read about it and, if not for the Saturday repeat, I might not have ever watched it.
  • The second episode of The Next Iron Chef is on the Food Channel tonight. The contestants are to create a simple culinary dish in their own style. Now, if I were there, I'd go with salmon patties. Okay, you know why I'm never on a cooking show, eh?
The return of today's music non sequitur --

This Broadway's got
It's got a lot of songs to sing
If I knew the tunes I might join in
I'll go my way alone
Grow my own, my own seeds shall be sown in New York City

Subway's no way for a good man to go down
Rich man can ride and the hobo he can drown
And I thank the Lord for the people I have found
I thank the Lord for the people I have found.
--Elton John
"Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Food Network. If someone had described the concept to me years ago, I would have laughed both at the idea and that I would enjoy it. On Top Chef, I don't even recognize most of the dishes or the names of the ingredients. It is another language to me. But those unfamilair words just roll right off their tongues. I always watched, but saw an interview with the host (can't spell her name...just know she is beautiful) and she explained the scar on her arm. The story made her seem real and confident without being snooty about it. I wonder what the chefs would do with salmon patties? They would stuff them with something and ruin their simple appeal completely. My specialty is egg salad with no fancy fixings in it. Thanks for the photo Jackie, I like your world. Sue

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of the beautiful photos! That's part of what makes your blog so SUPER special!!!

Anonymous said...

I like the photos a lot too. One a day please. hehe

MrsTito said...

"Life" was interesting the one time I caught it, and I saw the repeat of the pilot on Saturday, but there has been an episode since then that we've missed. Any idea when it's regular time/channel is? I'd like to try it again too!

Thanks

Caroline said...

Ah, the Plainfield train station. Only about 15 mins from my house. Never had reason to use it, both Dunellen and New Brunswick are closer. But that may be one of the nicest pictures of anything Plainfield I've seen for a long time. Usually "good" images of Plainfield are not the norm in these parts. Nice to see someone find the silver lining. Great photo!

Joe in NY said...

Hi Jackie,

I actually liked "Life" myself. I find it quirky, kind of "Monk"-ish as a police procedural.

Of course, since I like it, it will be cancelled next week!

Brent McKee said...

Life is on Wednesday night in the second hour of prime time (9-10 EDT?). Excellent show with the generally strong British actor Damien Lewis who also starred in Band Of Brothers. It's a tribute to his talent that Charlie Crews is totally different from Major Dick Winters, Lewis's role in Band of Brothers.

joy n said...

Hey, joe in ny, long time no hear (?). How's the love life?

Anonymous said...

Life also comes on Sunday nights on USA at 11 p.m.

Also you can view full episodes on Nbc. com.

I like it a lot too. The best part is it keeps getting more and more intriguing.

Sydney said...

Sue - This season I learned of goey duck on Top Chef. That may not be how it's spelled but I had never heard of it before.

Jackie, what is it about this picture? The symmetry/lines in it? The morning light? It's so simple yet I found myself looking at it for a long time.

Oh no kids, now it seems like there's yet another show that I should be watching... LIFE. I haven't seen it but you all are raving about it and my curiosity is piqued.

Jackie S. said...

Sydney -- I don't know, but I'm glad you liked it. :-)

Joe in NY said...

Hi Joy n,

I'm still out here, reading the blog more than writing. Busy semester for me, not time for romance...sigh... :)