Sunday, January 04, 2015

Off Topic: That Was the Week It Was - January 4, 2015

Yep, it's another Sunday. Nope, haven't been watching too much television. I have a few reasons for that. First, if I concentrate on the screen or try to follow a story too long, I get a whopper headache. Or, at the very least, I tend to lose focus. Unfortunately, that goes for reading books and computer use, as well.

That said, I was happy to see a new episode of Blue Bloods this past Friday. I think it might be the first new episode of any show I watch since the beginning of December! That might be a good thing due to my health. But I really need to work on building up my tolerance for such things. I go to the doctor on Thursday -- high temperature of 19 predicted as opposed to a high of 57 expected today. I'll see what he says. I really wish they could do something or give me something! I feel like I'm in Limbo.

Wednesday night was New Year's Eve. I spent my time loosely following the Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy. I was a bit surprised that some of the episodes were ones I don't remember. I'm not sure if that was because of the post concussion syndrome or I just don't remember them. As it went for midnight, I turned to the ball drop and then headed to bed. I lead such an exciting life, don't I?

On New Year's Day evening, there was a homicide just outside my own neighborhood.  That's not the best way to start the year in Plainfield. Not to worry about me, though. As an older woman, I'm really not the demographic of crime victims in town. Plus, I don't wander around in sketchy neighborhoods at night. Where the murder happened, though only a five minute or so walk away, is not anywhere I'd be after dark.

Once again, I didn't really go anywhere this week. So, once again, the photos offered up this week are suffering. You can always check out my other blog -- I Shoot Stuff I See -- for updated photo fodder daily. They're not new photos, mind you. They're just ones from my computer files over the years. Anyway ... onto the sights from this week.

I see hamburgers

I noticed these on Berckman Street as I walked to the bodega around the corner. Hamburgers and cheeseburgers. On the road. No buns, no traces of buns. I have no clue. They didn't look like they were edible, even in their prime. But they were gone the next time I walked through there a few days later. Maybe the fox my neighbor sighted last week found them.

A touch of snow

Before it turned to slush, then vanished in the rain yesterday, we had a touch of white in the Jersey 'hood. I was hoping to see the fox, but I did not. I will keep watching for it!

The gnarly tree

Its branches were covered with snow until late afternoon. Now all is just wet out there. (Still no fox.)

My other injury

The day after Christmas, I heated some mashed potatoes covered with Saran wrap in the microwave. Stupid me (I blame the concussion, it can't be my own stupidity!), even though the Saran had puffed up like a Jiffy Pop pan from the olden days, I grabbed a corner and got a steam burn. It hurt at the time and turned a section of one finger a pretty pink. But I didn't think it was too bad. While it only hurt a day or two, it now LOOKS bad. But it doesn't hurt.

Think OUTSIDE the box, Vincent!

I keep telling him that if he wants to be successful, he needs to think outside the box. There are too many internet kitty stars out there. He needs to be unique in his talents. Alas, he thinks he should just retreat to the box and let me support him in his luxury cat ways. I'm actually surprised this box has lasted this long. Maybe that's due to the scratchy thing being more tempting to chew apart and spit all over the floor.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie, I love Blue Bloods. I was surprised they had a new show as well.
Your concussion will take time. But you will be you again.
Vincent is such a beautiful cat.
Take care, Monica

Palmaltas said...

That gnarly tree was very gnarly indeed. Vincent doesn't have to do cutesy cat tricks. He's too regal for those.

Laurie said...

I don't think anything new has been on anyone's tv since early December. I was so glad to see Blue Bloods and then see the things lined up for recording this week. I've missed my shows!
Hope the doctor gives you good news. It is hard to be off work and not feeling up to actually do anything, isn't it? Your burns don't look too great. Glad you are seeing a doc soon. Maybe he/she can take a look at that, too.

Becky said...

Jackie, just wanted you to know that I really like the I Shoot Stuff blog. Sometimes I can't get over there every day, but then I play catch up when I can.

Of course Vincent pictures are among my favorites. Even if he does need to start a ten step program to overcome his addiction to cat nip.

Jackie S. said...

Thank you, all!

w said...

Not sure if it's the same one, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to see a fox here in Plainfield. Thought I was hallucinating when it ran through my backyard.