Saturday, January 27, 2007

Survivors Ready? Less Than Two Weeks to Fiji!

Yep, the new season is almost upon us. Graphics artist Zoetawny has made me a new logo - have I mentioned lately that she rocks?

Survivor 14: Fiji begins on Thursday, February 8th, at 8 PM ET/PT. As it always has been (and we always complain), the season premiere is an hour, not the 90 minutes or two hours we often see with other reality television shows.

Similar to last season's diverse cast, we're in for a heck of a lot of diversity this year ranging from age to color to culture and beyond. I personally support this kind of mix on the show because, to me, it's more like the real world in which I live. Perhaps other areas of the country are different, but I live in a huge mix of cultures and colors within the Greater NYC Metropolitan Area. I love the mix and would find it a boring world if everyone looked alike, held the same beliefs, etc. I outlined the cast with bio information and photos in four separate entries - Part One, Part Two, Part Three, and Part Four.

As I tend to do, I've been poking about the Internet in search of more information and any spoilers I can find regarding the upcoming season. The biggest spoilers I really know come from my Unknown Castaway contact, but I'm not at liberty to divulge all that I know about that castaway. I made a few corrections to that initial article here.

I found several sources which reveal the reason we're seeing the odd number of 19 castaways at the start of the season. There were actually 20 castaways as they flew off to Fiji, but one dropped out before they were placed on the island. In stead of replacing her with an alternate (Sundra, an alternate, made it to the Final Four last season), they decided to leave it be and work around it.

In my travels, I visited one of my favorite Survivor sites, Survivor Fever. They always have some great pre-show footage and photos, as well as a spoilers area and cool things like a peek at the Survivors Base Camp for the production staff. Of particular interest to me on my latest visit was an interview with Jeff Probst originally posted by The Slug.

An excerpt from the interview (go to The Slug for the whole interview):


The Slug: Now there was some criticism about your influence during "Cook Islands," specifically when you pointed out Yul brought Jonathan his hat to Tribal Council. When is too much, you know, too much?
Jeff Probst: It's a fine line I walk. The line is being a moderator on the show and being an instigator. That fine line is when you start influencing the game too much. It's always a judgment call. It's never really any formal discussion about it. We all know that line. There's a lot of trust in me to not step over it. I'm sure at times I do, and I have. I'm sure there are times when I've been too heavy handed or hard on somebody. I usually can justify it in my head.

There was a time in the Cook Islands when Yul had skated through Tribal Council after Tribal Council and never really got hammered on anything. There was a point where he had revealed he had the Idol, he had revealed he was in control of the game and after that.

At the next Tribal Council, I felt like there were certain questions the audience was gonna want to know, which was "Why would you let a guy rule the game like this, have the Idol, let him tell you he has the Idol, let him tell you he's in control of the game and not try to stop it? Are you just gonna let him waltz to the finish line?" And Yul got upset. He's like, "Jeff, why are you picking on me?" And I said, "Yul, you've had a free pass for the last several Tribal Councils. I'm saying everything that everybody's thinking." So that's how I look at it.

I know there was controversy here on this blog and elsewhere about Jeff's "interference" in that incident. I see his reasoning, but I still think he went a bit further than he should at the Tribal Council. What do you think?

There are mild show spoilers in regard to how the show starts out and the have/have not theme comes into play, but nothing within the article spoils beyond the premise of the season.

I think we're in for another great season. Survivors ready?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. I followed your reporsts and TV Squads last season. TV Squad hasn't had anything on Survivor yet, they seem to be mostly cartoon stuff and boring American Idol recaps that are putting me to sleep. I'll be reading yours! Jeff Probst is getting too big for his own britches. He shouldn't stir stuff up!
Best from Jenn

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie... Yes... Zoetawny Rocks Again!!! Such a talent...

I'm not sure how I feel about Jeff. In a way I agree with him... if HE doesn't bring it up, who's going to. The other cast members may be afraid of losing their standing and getting voted off if they get too negative about someone who, at the time, appeared to have all the control. I said all along they should have voted for Yul to go so he would have had to use the idol to stay...that may have changed the outcome of the game. They just wouldn't listen to me.

Can't wait for the start of the game!

Anonymous said...

Jackie I am just sitting here dying for Feb 8th, awful at my time in life to wish the weeks away, but sadly, Survivor does this to me.
I am excited and anxious and really have the fever again.
Jackie what would I do without your blog? Can I just make one little teensy suggestion? You really must start giving Zoetawny a bit more recognition, did you know she ROCKS???????(teeheehee)

Jackie S. said...

Anon - Thanks. Too big for his britches, eh? But what about those dimples?

meb - I think they should have forced the idol into play, myself. Although I was perfectly happy with a Yul win, if I were playing the game, strategically getting that hidden idol played so it was no longer a power play would have been the smart thing to do.

Terry - I'll try to do that. :-) Zoetawny and I first came across each other on AOL TV show boards and she's been fantastic about making graphics for my blog(s) ever since. While I make a few of my own (the more boring ones), she makes the cool ones!

Anonymous said...

I am so ready for Survivor to start!! All the other stuff out there right now is not anywhere close to the anticipation of this one. I only hope it can match up to the second half of last season. I am sure Burnett and his crew have been hard at work on some new twists and turns for this season. I don't know about you,but I liked the fact that they weren't starving last season,and had time to sit and plot and scheme more.

I'm with those of you that thought the tribe should have forced Yul's hand w/the idol.I hope they switch that up a little this time. And I like that Jeff pushes some issues with the tribe,sometimes they sit there and roll their eyes,and you just know they are afraid to put themselves out there to bring up obvious issues. I'm sure after his many years w/the show,that Probst feels pretty sure of himself to do that.And BTW..............LOVE his dimples myself......LOL.

I,also,am of the opinion that the premier should be two hours,so we get to kind of meet and know the castaways before the first one gets the boot. An hour just doesn't give us time to get to know them at all.

Good job,Zoe,as usual. And,Jackie,bring it on!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jackie!

First things first ~

You are right! Zoetawny DOES ROCK! I found you through AOL / Big Brother a couple of years ago, and her graphics have always been amazing! Such talent. . .

On to Survivor ~

Jeff does push a bit, and especially last season. I have mixed feelings about the way he can sometimes call out a specific player. And he definitely pushed the envelope with Yul, who I loved the entire season. However, I am completely in agreement that they should have forced him to play the idol just to get it out of the way.

I also agree with Sharon in that I never enjoyed watching them starve, so that was also a great change for me. A little more strategy and gamesplay is more fascinating than watching them complain about lack of food, etc.

Really excited for the new season to begin! Looks interesting with an interesting group of players! Still not sure how many of them even understand the game, but I guess we will all find out soon!

dla

Anonymous said...

Did anyone catch the Figi preview on TV Guide channel? I taped it today and watched tonight. Yul hosts it and we met all 19 players and the missing 20th player.
Jeff explained they were going to divide this cast by race also which explains the diversty.
My immediate favortie has to be Mookie since he lives about 15 minutes from where I grew up.
Eileen (Vol)

Anonymous said...

I am so ready for SURVIVOR.

I know Meb, I kept saying that too, make Yul use the idol. There are 2 this time, will be interesting to see if they learned a lesson after last season. Easy way to do it is if you have been Exile Island, you get voted out!!!

Zoetawny..can not wait to see your graphics. TY

I must be in Heaven...Survivor/LOST starting soon. I normally dislike Feb, but not this year.

Anonymous said...

Yul in a TV Guide special??? Now I would have loved that. I adored him all season, he kept everyone from the top proving he was the winner...Will there be updates coming on Ozzie too Loved that guy, he started out a bit cocky, but sure proved his abilities..and he stayed cute as a button!
Jackie :) from your loyal fan

Anonymous said...

Terry in CA-- check your listings as the TV guide Channel does this every season about a week before it starts, and I believe they repeat at least once. I got it last season, forgot this time so thanks for the reminder Eileen!
I'm going to see if I can still catch it and set my TIVO if so right now!