Tuesday, April 24, 2007

'American Idol 6' - The Final Six "Idol Gives Back"

Jackie's TV Blog, American Idol
Tomorrow night is the big two-hour results show and star-studded concert night for "Idol Gives Back." But the voting tonight is what counts, not only for the contestant of your choice, but for the cause. Several corporations have joined in to support the event and News Corporation is giving 10 cents for each vote up to 50 million votes.

Each contestant has two phone lines tonight and the time you can vote has doubled to four hours after the show. They've also formed a MySpace page for the event.

The contestants were asked to choose a song which fits the theme of helping others and inspire folks. I thought that, overall, they all made good song choices and tonight the performances came across as professional.

Here's the skinny:
American Idol - Chris RichardsonChris Richardson was the first to perform, singing Eric Clapton's "If I Could Change the World." While I thought it was a good performance for him, no way could he have come close to how I feel about the original version. He was less nasally than in previous weeks, I'll give him that much. I don't think the song needed his little Chris Richardson hand jive bit.

But the judges liked it. Randy said he was in it to win it. (I beg to differ!) Paula is proud of him and said it was exciting and fantastic. Simon said it was a good vocal and a good start to the night. Um. Okay.
American Idol - Melinda Doolittle
Melinda Doolittle was up next with Faith Hill's "There Will Come a Day." It's actually not my favorite song choice for the night, but she sang in true Doolittle Style. Not a missed note, not a missed emote.

The judges felt the same way as I did. Randy started with "Yo, yo, yo... check it out." Anytime he leads with three yo's, he likes the performance. He called her the "resident pro" again. Paula told her, "There's no one like you. It was magical." Simon loved it, said it wasn't a copycat performance and it was a vocal master class.
American Idol - Blake Lewis
Blake Lewis sang John Lennon's "Imagine." Even more than the Clapton song, I find it hard to "imagine" anyone singing it other than the original artist. I thought he was a bit off at times and it definitely wasn't his best performance. Blake is more of a faster-paced song kind of guy. I hope it doesn't hurt him in the long run as he's my favorite male contestant left at this point.

Randy seemed to think along the same lines as I did. He thought it was a good song choice, but it just ended up being "all right" and "okay." Paula thought it was sensitive and emotional. Simon thought it was sincere.
American Idol - LaKisha Jones
LaKisha Jones chose Fantasia's "I Believe." Mistake number one in song choice. I was a big LaKisha supporter but I think she's fallen off her game the last few weeks. I think she's a lot more talented than others we've seen on the show, but she seems to be growing weary... or something. She hit a few bad notes here and there and I just wasn't feeling the song.

Again, the judges reacted as I did. Randy mentioned pitch problems, said he liked it but it wasn't her best. Paula said she was a powerhouse, but it's hard to sing a Fantasia song. Simon all but came out and said he preferred Fantasia's version. He mentioned the shouting again, too.
American Idol - Phil Stacey
Phil Stacey chose Garth Brook's "The Change." It's a bit of a draggy kind of song, but I think he may have sang his best performance ever on the show. I didn't care for Phil some weeks back, but he seems to have gained confidence.

When he's on his game, I think he has the best voice (richest and most versatile) of the remaining guys. It's just that he's often been not on his game and I think he's got one of those heads that probably looks best with something on it. But kudos to him -- he did very well tonight.

The judges were also impressed. Randy thought it was his second strong performance in a row. Paula thought it was his best performance. Simon would have liked a bit more "country" in the song as now he's decided country is Phil's genre. He says he now has the confidence; if he could connect the two elements, it would be great. "People like you."
American Idol - Jordin Sparks
Jordin Sparks closed out the show tonight with "You'll Never Walk Alone."

Magnificent. She also looked very pretty once again this week. She sang the song like a seasoned pro -- adding her own personality to it and making it amazing.

The judges loved it, too. Randy once again mentioned her age and followed it with "this was one of the best vocals ever on the show." Paula said it was amazing and lovely. Simon thought it was fantastic. "That song is about 60 years old. You could have a hit record with it today."

And, there you go. Once again, I think Melinda and Jordin were in a class of their own and those two deserve to battle it out at the end... in my opinion, at least. I think Phil outsang Blake and Chris tonight, but I would like to see Blake stay on the show. I think LaKisha should really worry this week.

How about you?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

...................................Jackie, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of tonight's show. I actually get goosebumps hearing Jordin sing. I think she gets better every week. And I agree, also, that Melinda and Jordin will be the two to make it to the end. But my personal favorite is still Jordin and I'm rooting for her all the way!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Jordin,she made that song sound new and it's not! Good job,as usual.And tonight I really liked Melinda,something new for me!
I thought Phil was okay,not exciting me and thought the rest were just okay.Chris just doesn't do it for me,no matter what he sings and Blake was off this week,he picked a bad song to try and live up to. Kiki can go anytime now,she's never been at the top of my list and,thank God,she's finally been called on the "shouting",that was my biggest complaint about her. I think Blake may have to worry too and Chris.

GO JORDIN..........all the way!!

dla said...

Jordin was terrific tonight! What an amazing talent, and especially at 17 years old.

I hope Chris is going home this week. I believe his time has come and gone...

It saddens me to see Lakisha looking beaten down. I believe the same thing happened to Stephanie before she left... I guess there is only so much criticism and comparison to those that may be performing at a higher level that some are able to handle.

Tough, tough business, and only the strong survive.

Tomorrow should be a good show! :)

Deanna said...

I think Chris sounded good and stuck to who he is...as usual. Blake did pick a song that is hard to do because the original is so awesome, but I loved his perfomance. Phil sounded awesome!!! I started the season liking the girls the most, but my top 3 would have to be the guys. Jordyn is a good singer, but she bores me to tears. I find myself doing other things when she comes on. I admit she is talented as is Lakisha and Melinda, but they all lack a performance quality to me. BORING!

GO CHRIS BLAKE PHIL!!!!!! The rest can just GO HOME!

Anonymous said...

Jordin-Phil-Melinda-Blake-Chris-Kiki is how I would rank last night. Loved Melinda's huge necklace it gave her definition to her short neck. I liked M in the beginning, but she is fading for me, just no excitement from her. Kiki has lost it and think it may be her tonight. Phil is improving and hope he continues to do so, just needs hat or hair, IMAO! I wonder if his eyebrows were lighter if he would look better?

Anonymous said...

delee - it looked like his eyebrows were lighter last night. I was wondering if anyone else noticed? I really saw the difference between his before air interview and when he came on to sing. Jordin looked great last night. Blake needs to stop singing out of the corner of his mouth, he reminds me of a cartoon. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree delee... I believe his eyebrows are what makes him look different??? It's similar to Ellen DeGeneres' girlfriend Portia (can't remember her whole name). When she was on Ally McBeal, she had blond hair and big bushy eyebrows and she really looked strange. She lightened her eyebrows and she's gorgeous.

Jordin is by far the best singer and my take is all the guys can go home, it's going to come down to Jordin and Melinda for sure. And I hope Jordin wins it. Either way, they both have a great future ahead of them.

Anonymous said...

Karen -- I totally agree about Blake's mouth. It's very hard for me to watch him because he always has a "deer in the headlights" look to his eyes and that wierd mouth thing! I want some beat box back too! The beat box is what got him noticed & he's completely dropped it.

Jordin is unbelievable amazing!! Last night I did notice that her voice cracked a few times and this morning they played a sound byte on the radio and I heard it again. But if you watched her, you realized that she was trying hard not to cry. I've said it before...I cannot imagine how proud her parents must be when they hear her sing.

Kiki was my favorite, but she has gone downhill. Melinda is great, but she always sounds the same to me. Can't stand Chris & Phil just creeps me out.

GO JORDIN!!!

Anonymous said...

Melinda has a very annoying habit. She shook her head "no" most of the time while she was singing. This is just as annoying as the "...like..." and "Ya know?" mannerisms in speech. Correct me if I am thinking of the wrong person.

Anonymous said...

Melinda all the way! So what if she sounds the same every week - she always impresses me. I like Jordin, but Melinda is the one whose music I would buy.

GO MELINDA!

And no, I don't care to leave my name. Just wanted to express my thoughts.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

My favorite has been Melinda from the start. I loved Lekisha in the beginning but she is slowly falling. I like Jordin a lot but I was not as impressed as everyone else seems to be with last night. I felt she was screaming the song and straining to hit the high notes. It just didn't seem to flow as well as usual and I was surprised Simon didn't say that to her! Simon is usually right-on!!!
Maybe is sounds better in person too. I too like Phil's voice the best of the guys but Blake's looks are better! He is cute!! I predict also that Jordin and Melinda will be the final two.

Anonymous said...

Melinda Doolittle the talented vocalist with a heart of gold. The album’s first single, “It’s Your Love,” was released to radio stations nationwide in SeptembeR. Keep you update with Melinda career at www.melindasbackups.com