Friday, January 13, 2006

New 'Survivor' Castaways: A Closer Look at Terry Dietz


Tonight, in my continuing quest to explore each new castaway on the upcoming 'Survivor: Panama - Exile Island', I'll be taking a closer look at Terry Deitz. Unlike the first two I profiled, Aras and Tina, there doesn't seem to be much out on the web about him. I found out that Terry Dietz is not a real obscure name, though.

So, it's to the bio on the official CBS site:
Terry was born and raised in Matawan, NJ. He was very into sports throughout his school days, playing football, baseball and wrestling. He attended the US Naval Academy where he also played baseball. Flying fighter jets for the Navy, he met and married his wife, then made the decision to leave active duty and became a commercial pilot for American Airlines. He's 46 years old and lives with his wife and children in Simsbury, CT.

Well, that's all very interesting. But will it make him a good 'Survivor' contestant? He knows how to work on a team, how to be a leader... how to fly planes and hit baseballs.

Okay, it's onto his favorites in the hopes of figuring out his psyche!
Heh. His favorite video games are flying simulators. He loves his work. Hmmm... except for liking wisteria and roses, this is looking a lot by rote -- TV shows include 'Survivor'; movies include 'Top Gun' and 'Saving Private Ryan.' Aviation Week is a favorite magazine. His food choices are mostly healthy, but he will drink alcohol, too.

I predict... I predict... that Terry will be a good family man and husband, probably a nifty pilot, too. His chances on 'Survivor'? I haven't a clue. He certainly could do well based on his background, but I'm getting very little about his personality reading this stuff. I'm going to call his finish as a mystery, not likely out first; most likely not the winner.

I just don't know. What do you think his chances of winning are...?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jackie I loved all of your reports of Survivor keep up the great work......... Just keep me informed where ever you go

Anonymous said...

Jackie,

I know Terry...as a fellow airline pilot and friend. You are correct...he is a good family man and he can whack the heck out of a baseball (and, judging by his arms, probably anything else he takes a swing at...)

And...of course...he flies a great jet...but then, don't we all? (How do you know the guy at the party is a pilot? He'll tell you...)

However...don't sell him short...he is very quick-witted, it should be noted that he has been through not only the "regular" survival school for pilots but the advanced course for fighter-pilots; is a Naval Academy Grad...so he is patient... can put up with, ahem... BS if needed to achieve a goal.

As an officer with both the Navy and the airline, he has to know how to lead, follow and get along with people. He is well-liked at his job and has a great reputation. If I were a betting man (I'm not) I'd put my dough on Terry.

Todd

Jackie S. said...

Hey, thanks for the comment, Todd! :-) I just couldn't read much into his bio other than I bet he was a good husband and father, as well as very into his work. I wish him the best and hope you'll stop back to read my show thoughts once it starts.

Anonymous said...

Hey I know Terry from Pop Warner football - matawan Falcons. I was a cheerleader and Terry was an awesome football player! He was always on the top of his game! I believe he will go all the way! From one Matawan falcon to another HATS OFF TO YOU! Good luck Kim

Anonymous said...

Yeah,
Best of luck to Terry - he's the one I see as the strongest, so hopefully he won't be too much of a threat. Although I'd put my money on him getting through to at least the final four just on immunity.
Go F-14 Tomcat fighter pilots.

Anonymous said...

I bet he comes in third. Just a guess though...