Monday, September 03, 2007

'Survivor 15: China' - My First Impressions on the Cast - Part Two

It's time I got moving along with this, right? Part One can be found here. I'm going alphabetically by first name as I peek in on the cast for the upcoming season. You can find all of my Survivor 15: China content by clicking on the label link at the end of the post. Let's get it on!

Chicken is actually Steve Morris, a chicken farmer hailing from Virginia. He looks like he'll be our "out there" character for the season.

He's a single parent with three children, four dogs, and has raised a lot of chickens, too.

I'm a bit surprised at his age. He's not even 50, yet looks a lot older than that to me. He was born in 1959. I'm feeling so old, sigh...!

In watching his video on the CBS site, I can't help but think of Big Tom in a smaller package. He calls Survivor the "greatest damn game in history." He grew up in the woods, is driven by thought of winning the big bucks. I think if he makes allies, he will be loyal unless they give him a reason not to be.

While perusing his favorites, I see a man with basic tastes. He doesn't list Survivor as one of his favorite shows, instead listing NCIS and CSI. He likes brandy and Snickers bars, not necessarily at the same time. His favorite cereal is a generic "corn flakes." That tells me that he's into the simpler things in life -- he doesn't need the bells, whistles and frosting.

I think his outdoors-woodsy experiences are going to help him in the game. I also think others may not take him as a serious contender, but he could very well be one. My prediction on his chances of winning it all? I don't think he will, but I think he might make it to mid-pack.

Next up is a more traditional kind of casting choice -- a waitress named Courtney. Hopefully she's not as flaky as the Courtney who was the "performance artist." Um, wait ... I watched her video. "Like, we're talking, like, a coffee shop waitress, in, like, Union Square, like in Manhattan."

Oh, my -- it's a blonde BB8 Jen Gwen Stefani don't give a darn girl! She doesn't seem determined to win and, like, whatever!

In looking at her bio information, I see she sounds like an interesting enough person and is probably fairly intelligent. But it seems she doesn't have a lot in the aspirations or future goals kind of category -- she wants to experience life. That's not necessarily a bad thing, per se. However, it's not a great outlook going into a game where you have to Outwit, Outplay, and Outlast.

She's very thin and tall, and even says she's not going to be a strong competitor in physical challenges. She says she's brutally honest (could be described as "bitchy") and sarcastic.

In her favorites she doesn't list Survivor, but goes for So You Think You Can Dance, Flava Flav, and American Idol. Her outdoors activities include sunbathing and eating al fresco. Her cereal? Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Not a bad cereal, but I expected her to be more of the Count Chocula type.

Her chances? I'd say snowball in hell. Prove me wrong, Courtney.

Next is Dave, another more typical job category we often see on the show -- former model. He's currently a bartender and construction worker. Now, you can't get more typical Survivor casting than that, can you?

Well, after being like, turned off by Courtney's video on the CBS site, I'm very impressed with Dave's video. He's well-spoken, comes across as a decent guy, yet has his eyes on a win. He's also lived in Africa and says there are two types there -- The AfriCANs and the AfriCAN'Ts. He was an AfriCAN.

So, it's to his bio info! He's well-traveled, but not all that into the kind of activities which would help in in the show. I mean, snowboarding and frisbee golf aren't quite translatable to Survivor, I don't think. He does say he loves to camp, is a good motivator and a team player, though. That's good.

In looking at his favorites, he's yet another without Survivor on the list. But he has Dexter! Whoa ... we're talking a serious cereal eater here -- Kashi Granola. That tells me he's health conscious and serious.

I think we have a contender here, folks. I predict Dave Cruser will cruise well towards the Final Four. I also predict I'll enjoy watching him do so, win-win for me!

Next, and the last one for this entry, is Denise. Now, I didn't think much of her at first glance -- a school lunch lady with a mullet. Not too impressive. But, after watching her video, she's the only one so far who has given me a chuckle, not as good as a guffaw, but a chuckle and perhaps even a snicker. "When my hair gets too long, it hurts my head."

She also seems to have a plan -- get the "middle group" and they target the stronger ones, then the weaker ones and she's the last one standing.

In looking at her bio information, she's more of a physical sort than I would have expected. She has a black belt in Karate. Ohhh! She's a mom of three who's been married for sixteen years. She describes herself as determined, outgoing, competitive, and strong-willed.

Jumping over to her favorites, she likes Stephen King. Yay! She also lists Survivor in her favorite shows. Her cereal is Frosted Flakes, that's a g-r-r-eat choice indeed!

I think I'm really going to like this woman and I definitely was a bit turned off just by her photo. If she doesn't try to run things, I think she's going to be another contender for the Final Four or, at least the latter half of the season. I think she's going to add some humor, too.

I will post the next installment as soon as I can get to it! What do you think of this bunch?

6 comments:

JPL said...

Definitely like this group better than the first bunch. Thanks for the posting Jackie! I love your blog.

Lucy said...

Like, you know, Courtney is, like, my least favorite from this posting.

Dave and Chicken are on my faves list already but that could change once the show begins.

Lunch Lady Denise may have a problem laying low as she seems like the type that is fine if things are going her way but will probably becom quite over-bearing when they are not. She also stands out because of her dated look. I want to like Denise but will see how things pan out.

Jackie I know you have not posted on all the Survivors yet but here is my list of faves (just from reading their bios):
Dave, James, Chicken, Sherea
I also think these folks will do well but have not made it to my faves list with their bios:
Leslie, Erik, Amanda, Aaron

Anonymous said...

Jackie, you are my source for the Survivor cast info. From the group you have described, I am going to be rooting for Luch Lady Denise. Lunch Ladies have gotten a bad rap for many years. Time to root for something positive for the LL's. Go Denise!
Also, Chicken sounds interesting. Anyone who wants to be called Chicken has a lot of guts! Gotta love the ecclectic character.

jl

Anonymous said...

I want to root for the LL but just her job may be a problem--LL are used to being in charge and giving orders(at least the ones around here!)

Another skinny blonde who wants to experience life...
Well, starve,become a twig and be carried off by the wind.

Chicken...gotta love these farmers....they always keep things comical.

Dave....easy on the eyes...
could be another Tom(?) the fireman from NY....great competitor and
played a pretty ethical game.

I'm ready........

joy n said...

I'm not feeling too keen on Coutney either.

Chicken, somehow, I know I'm going to like him.

Dave seems likable too and I'm betting I'll be a fan.

Denise, just being a Stephen King fan makes you okay in my book. I've got all but two of his books and plan to find them too, eventually. The Stephen King Library is a great thing!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of them.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, I too was not too impressed with the photo of Denise, but after reading her bio, I think she has a good chance and will be an interesting character to watch.

Thanks for always keeping us up to date! :)