Sunday, April 07, 2019

The Amazing Race 31 starts April 17 - BB and Survivor Teams!

It's been announced that the new season of TAR will start following the airing of Survivor: Edge of Extinction on Wednesday, April 17. Now, I had absolutely no interest in that Million Dollar Mile (whatever) anyway. So, I'm glad it was booted to Saturday night in its death throes.

This upcoming TAR season was surely made for this blog and its readers! Why else would they have contestants from three CBS reality shows -- Big Brother, Survivor and The Amazing Race -- the three shows always covered here? 



From Big Brother, we have …


A sister team of Rachel Reilly and Elissa Slater, now ages 34 and 32 respectively. Rachel has an edge over many of the BB hamsters as she's been on TAR twice already with her husband Brandon. Her stats are: Big Brother 12, winner of Big Brother 13, The Amazing Race 20 and The Amazing Race All-Stars. It will be interesting to see how she does with her sister who was on BB15.


Engaged couple Nicole Franzel and Victor Arroyo, ages 26 and 28. Although not even a showmance in their one BB season together, they're engaged now. Her stats: Big Brother 16, winner of Big Brother 18. He was the hamster who kept winning comps to come back in Big Brother 18. I'm not sure how she'll do on TAR -- she's one of those lovable but kind of naïve sorts. I can see him excelling at any challenge thrown his way. It's a shame he can't do all the challenges himself on the show!



Here's quite the duo! Friends Janelle Pierzina and Britney Haynes! Now ages 38 and 30. Janelle was a BB fan favorite with three summers on the show -- Big Brother 6,Big Brother All-Stars and Big Brother 14. She was a tremendous competitor in BB6. Britney has two BB seasons under her belt -- Big Brother 12 and Big Brother 14. Not as big a player on the physical comps as Janelle, I think she has a very entertaining (and sarcastic) wit about her. I'll enjoy watching them race as a team together!



From Survivor, we have ...


Married couple Rupert and Laura Boneham. He's 54 now, she's 49. Rupert had a large fan base from his four appearances on Survivor --Survivor: Pearl Island, Survivor: All-Stars, Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains, Survivor: Blood vs. Water. Laura was on Blood vs. Water with him. While I think Rupert is a very admirable man in his business and personal life, I was never really a fan of his on the show(s). To me, his schtick was to roar and act like a pirate. Age-wise and competition-wise, I think they're going to be out of their league on TAR.



Friends Corinne Kaplan and Eliza Orlins, ages 39 and 35 respectively. Corinne was on Survivor: Gabon and Survivor: Caramoan. Eliza was on Survivor: Vanuatu and Survivor: Micronesia. I didn't realize that Eliza is now a public defender in Manhattan. No, I won't go there and get into trouble just to meet her. Don't even ask! This should be a pretty solid team. As an added bonus, if they go to China, Eliza can speak Mandarin! I enjoy the both of them and they just might be contenders!



Then we have friends Chris Hammons and Bret LaBelle, both from Survivor: Millennials vs. Gen-X. Chris is 40, Bret is now 44. Chris is a defense attorney while Bret is a police sergeant. I enjoyed both of them personality-wise on the show. But, if memory serves, neither was all that great at the challenges. It looks like Chris, in particular, has gained some weight. I can't knock a person for that -- glass houses and all that, y'know! But … excess weight against lean and mean teams often brings an early exit from the show … or a late arrival on the welcome mat.

I'll be covering the returning TAR teams in a separate post. But, I'll leave you with a little teaser. Who could forget Colin from TAR5 and "My ox is BROKEN!"?



13 comments:

SusanS. said...

Sure wish they would do new and regular folks. I've missed this show and love it, but don't expect to enjoy it that much this time.

Jackie S. said...

I'm not a fan of returning contestants on reality shows. But, I'm looking forward to this particular one. That said, I don't want them doing it all the time -- give us new people to love/hate!

Anonymous said...

I think Britney & Janelle will be an awesome team. Can't wait for this season!

Dolores in NC formerly Florida

SueGee said...

Looking good!!

Note to Jackie: Some of the commentary on the racers is printing in white again. I can read it by hi-lighting it

Squeegee

Judi Sweeney said...

I’m really looking forward to this season!! I agree with you on all your comments Jackie! This should be interesting!

Jackie S. said...

I think I fixed it, Sue.

Kismet said...

I like it when they do newcomers as well. I hate Celebrity Big Brother and why should Rachel get yet another shot at winning money when she already had so many chances?

Jackie S. said...

Kismet - I feel they overdid Rupert on Survivor, too. I don't think he and his wife will last long on TAR. I don't think Rachel and Elissa will do as well as Rachel did with Brendon. I hope not anyway.

One TAR team I enjoy seeing return is Team Fun -- Becca and Floyd. They were so upbeat and had such a heartbreaking last leg in their season.

I do like the dynamic of the three different shows contestants competing. At least this one time.

SueGee said...

Looking good Jackie!!

Glenn Allen said...

This looks like a great season!

Petals said...

Thanks Jackie!! I am so excited to see my Queen Janey! And I was a Victor fan from Day 1.

YAY!

jennifer said...

Jackie, this looks great, I’m ready for the show!

David said...

You know what I like about this, there seems to be a lack of 20 somethings. I don't know who the returning TAR teams are yet, but this could be a good season as long as they don't make a habit of using returning players.